Colorado Teardrop Build Journal (Build Complete) (kayakdlk)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Colorado Teardrop Build Journal (kayakdlk)

Postby wesrmartin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:48 pm

this build is looking awesome! thanks for documenting your epoxy process....I know there are plenty of people who have given their reports, but it is still nice to read more about it! also, I like your plan for the moonroof and lack of trimring.... can't wait to see it finished!
wesrmartin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakdlk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:13 pm

I got a lot of work done over the last 6 days. Over the weekend I painted the door seals, door edges, galley seals, and moon roof opening satin black using the Van Sickle two part paint. I rolled on two coats using a 4" sponge roller and 1" sponge brush for corners and small areas. I think it turned out pretty good and seems to be durable.

Door seal areas painted

Galley seal areas painted

Moon roof opening.

I then spent the next two days painting the body color Yellow. I use 1 1/2 gallons Monstaliner and gave it two costs with the their texture foam roller. It went on pretty good. I have a few spots I will touch up in the spring when it is warmer out. The paint stinks bad and for at least 2 days. It was hard to keep the smell out of the house. I painted in my utility room (basically a one car garage without a garage door) , I closed the door to the house, laid wet towels along the bottom seal, blocked the heating ducts with plastic etc but the smell still permeated throughout the house. We had to open the windows when it was 30 degrees outside to get fresh air.

I thinned the paint a little bit with MEK and got a pretty nice smooth texture. Here is a close up of the texture after first coat.

Here is the galley hatch lid painted

A side view after being painted and masking paper and plastic removed.

Here is a view of the roof painted

I then started assembly so that the cabin was weather tight and then moved my teardrop out under the car port.
I had bought a roll of 1/16" black Butyl, RV, Camper, Putty Sealant Tape off eEbayt. I used it to install the windows, fan and moon roof.

Here is a picture of the door windows installed

Here is an inside view of the moon roof installed without a trim ring. I just drilled holes through the aluminum on the outside and screwed it down to the roof through a layer of the Butyl tape.

Here is a view from the top of the moon roof and Max air fan installed

I installed the galley hatch lid and lights.

I then installed the doors and buttoned up the inside. I think all I need inside is curtains and a mattress. We took measurements so my wife can make the curtains over the next few months and I will get a mattress in the spring

Ceiling view of light, moon roof and fan

Door view with door installed

Feet view of storage shelf for gear

Headboard view with storage, shelves and reading lights

I also worked on the galley hatch and gas struts. I had bought 150 lbs struts but they were way to heavy and the hatch wouldn't close. I then tried 50lb struts and it works almost but won't stay up. I order 75 and 100 lbs and will return whatever doesn't work.

I installed my hatch lid inside panel and wired up the lights. I wanted the panel removable so I could get to the wiring. So I used 1/8" Baltic birch and installed with stainless steel decorated screws washers.

Here is my paper towel holder. All it needs is nice looking weight to keep them from blowing away.

Here is the galley with baskets and coolers

I move the teardrop outside and installed my axles, wheels and tires, fenders, and tongue box. Lots of detailed left to finish but I can now leave it outside under the car port and work on it as the weather allows and be ready for spring camping.
Rear side view

Front side view

Side view

I still have to attach the side table brackets, battery box and get a battery. I also need to decide if I want any diamond plate trim on the front and along the sides. I had planned a 4" strip along the bottom and back and 4' full width piece on the front, but now with the tongue box I am not sure. The bed liner paint is suppose to be durable so I may decide to leave the diamond plate off. I can always add later. I also need to install some graphics but will wait until spring when it warms up. Now all I need to do is figure out what trips to take it on, and where I want to take my Jeep 4 wheeling.
Happy Building
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Such a great looking TD !

'Love the birch interior, and the bedliner finish turned
out spectacular, from the pics you showed. Your results
with that will make me consider it very closely when the
time comes for an exterior finish.

Your great workmanship and project dedication has paid
off for you in the top notch results you've achieved !

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drewh1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:08 pm

Awesome Job. The black edging with the yellow is striking. All of your cabinet work looks great. Bet you can't wait to do some winter camping!

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Man, that's looking striking. The yellow and black definatly stands out and screams, " LOOK AT ME "
Your attention to detail is very very evident
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Its looking Beautiful.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Awesome work! You should be very proud of your efforts. Again, the edge blackout treatment sure looks good. :thumbsup:

I agree with your original image; you should definitely add the 4 inch band of diamond plate around the bottom edge. That will make a big difference in tying the fenders into the theme, will slim the profile of the tongue box a bit, and should be done before you start considering other graphics (IMO), as it will have a big impact on the overall scheme of things. IMO, once you add the diamond plate skirt, you may decide that additional graphics are not needed.

Again, you have done a great job! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Very clean and neat. Nice Job! :thumbsup: Congratulations on a job well done. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Steve 70 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:46 pm

As my son Jordan would say......sweeeeet!! Looks great. Now the fun part...... camping!! Congratulations and enjoy. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Steve 70
Teardrop Advisor

Postby crumbruiser » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:23 am

Like everyone else says, it looks great!
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:48 am

Started back at page one tonight and read your entire build again. Superb. The year planing turned out great. Nice looking.
:thumbsup:

Hop I can see it in person one day at a gathering.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AlgoDan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:26 am

Wow looking fantastic Dan, you have done a wonderful job. Great build and you can smell the campfire now...Also post a pic of your trailer and Jeep together. :thumbsup: :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby kayakdlk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 am

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

It came together like I wanted. A big thanks to everyone whom posted picture of the builds and their finished teardrops on the forum. I used ideas from everyone else's build journals and pictures and I took the ideas I liked best and put together my trailer. I decided I wanted to go with tried and proven build methods and learn from everyone else's trial and errors. I can't wait to try it out and will finish it up by spring, take it to the DVM and get it licensed and then take it for a few test ride to see how it pulls in the mountains behind the Jeep.

I am going to relook at the diamond plate maybe get a test piece and see what it looks likes. I am going to take a break through the Holidays/and cold (Jan/Feb) and then finish up (mattress, battery, diamond plate, etc.) by early spring (Mar/April).

I will post updates as they occur and also some final finished pictures of the teardrop and my Jeep. I hope to get to one of the teardrop gathering and meet some of you at future gatherings as I plan my trips for the next few years.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 am

Another piece of art, beautiful.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:32 am

Since Thanksgiving and since the teardrop now sits outside under the carport as weather allowed I have worked on some of the finish details.

I bought and installed an aluminum battery box on the left side fender. I sanded the aluminum box with my orbital sander, coated it with Bull Dog adhesion promoter primer and then use Duplicolor high performance wheel clear coat. I built a wood spacer plate to allow the box to sit on the fender and bolt to the side of the teardrop. I epoxy coated and bed lined the spacer plate.

My original battery disconnect switch was to go inside the battery box but it was too big so I decided to use it on the Jeep and bought another disconnect switch and mounted it outside on the box. I ran 10 gauge wires to the junction box under the trailer.

I found and bought an aluminum 11 lb propane tank mount from POWERTANK and decided to mount it on the right fender. I can leave the tank where it is run the hose to my stove on the side table and only need to remove the tank for refills. This frees up space in the lower galley and prevents the tank from rolling around.

I had been looking for an idea for a paper towel weight to keep them from unrolling and found on eBay a stainless steel Jeep emblem. It should work great.

I installed my Tongue box clasps

and galley hatch clasps. The both close up nice and tight. I will need to wait until spring to test for leakage.

I installed my plastic curtain tracks that I got from Sailrite. I wanted tracks instead of rods so the wind wouldn't blow the curtains off the rods. Originally I was going to have a track on top and bottom of each window on the doors. I decided I didn't really have enough room on the doors for the tracks and to be able to open the curtain full window width so I installed one 4' track above the doors. This allows you to push the curtains forward or to the rear. I used a 4' track on both sides of the moonroof.

After Christmas my wife sewed the curtains and we installed them. This is a view with the curtain pushed to the rear.

This view is with the curtain pushed forward. This is probably the normal storage direction as it is out of the way and when the curtain is pushed to the rear (above) it covers the light switch.

Here is a view from the inside with the curtain closed

Here is a view from the outside with curtain closed

Here is a view through the door window

For the moonroof we used two panels. and you can slide them to each side for a full view of the window. Here is a view of the moon roof curtains closed

Here is a view of the moon roof curtains open

My wife also made matching pillow cases. Here is a picture of them

I have just a few things left to do.

I have ordered some Olive Super K-Kote ripstop awning material from Seattle Fabrics and we will be making 6'x5' awning over each door using two poles. I have installed a 6' piece of awning rail on the flat part of the roof over each door.

I am looking into buying or making an awning over the hatch area. Still undecided. I need to buy the mattress and battery and install them. I have some graphics to install when it gets warm out.
I can't wait to finish it up by late spring (battery, mattress and graphics), take it to the DVM and get it licensed and then take it for a few test ride to see how it pulls in the mountains behind the Jeep.

I am calling this build done and I will post some final finished pictures of the teardrop and my Jeep on it first outing in (probably not until in May depending on the kids sports schedules and weather in Colorado)

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals