Build thread: One-man Sleeper

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Build thread: The Coffin

Postby Toyotamike » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Towing it with a 1st gen xB. Your braver than me. I have an xA and it's way too gutless to even drive with 4 people in it lol.

Trailer looks pretty good though.
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby CarlLaFong » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:08 am

Toyotamike wrote:Towing it with a 1st gen xB. Your braver than me. I have an xA and it's way too gutless to even drive with 4 people in it lol.

Trailer looks pretty good though.
No kidding
I have an 05 Xbox and I have to be sure I don't have a lot of change in my pocket
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby eggsalad » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 pm

I don't really anticipate any problems towing. I camp alone, and the anticipated finished weight should be <500lb. That keeps me close to the GVWR. I have 5 gears to choose from. I'm not scared.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Keep at it and you'll be camping in no time.

Are you gonna decorate it with the usual Coffin trimming. Side handles rails, chrome corners, and padded silk liner?

Ha :lol: hahah just google image “ coffin trailer “ for some morbidly funny ideas
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eggsalad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:01 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:Welcome to the forums.

Keep at it and you'll be camping in no time.

Are you gonna decorate it with the usual Coffin trimming. Side handles rails, chrome corners, and padded silk liner?

Ha :lol: hahah just google image “ coffin trailer “ for some morbidly funny ideas

That would be horribly amusing. I will add that to the list.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby eggsalad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Phase I is complete! Wahoo!

The roof skin is on! Coroplast! Yep - it's cheap, light, waterproof, and UV-resistant. What more could you want in a trailer roof? Held in place with shingle roof drip edge. Also light and cheap - easy to work with, too!

Bit of a detail shot here on how all the trim goes on and holds everything in place and covers my sloppy seams.

Don't have a metal bending brake? Couple of pieces of angle iron and a couple of clamps makes a passable brake, at least for .040 aluminum.

And voila! We have nose protector!

Now we have a sleep-able, sealed (enough) box for sleeping. It's been a longer haul than I anticipated, so I think I'll give it a rest before tackling ventilation and electrical.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby eggsalad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Time for Phase II: Electrical. All this stuff came out of the junk piles at work:

2@ 6V, 12Ah Emergency Lighting batteries, wired in series, mounted in a tray I fabbed out of a random chunk of diamond plate:

Here's a little switchbox near the door. All switches have pilot lights.

Here's the actual lighting. The green circle contains a LittleLite reading light, converted to LED. The blue circle is a strip of 15 SMD LED for general area lighting (it's WAY bright!), and the red circle is a piece of 1/2" square tube with 2 ordinary red LED, for night lighting/night vision.

eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby eggsalad » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:43 pm

More on the exterior now... First, here's a little piece of angle aluminum to finish off the last exposed seam:

I'd posted in some other threads about an issue with my Coroplast roof skin ballooning up in the heat. Simple solution: strap it down! Here I've held it down with some 1/8"x1" aluminum strap, on the most forward and rearward roof beams. The middle two will have to wait until the roof vent goes in, so I can see how to fit it all together. Even these first too pieces seem to really get the ballooning under control:

eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby Doubltap » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 am

Yeah, I used drip moulding for shingle roofs for my seam sealers too. Undrlayed it with a healthy helping of clear silicone, and also siliconed all the metal lag screws that hold it all down. Went with a rubber roof over 3/8" ply for the roof. Used 2x2 cross members for the roof supports. Here is my build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=53840 ...

Looks like you are rocking along in splendid fashion. Keep up the good work ! :thumbsup:
When your outgo is more than your income, your upkeep will be your downfall !
Doubltap
Silver Donating Member

Postby eggsalad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 am

I just need to gloat. It rained hard today, first time since I finished off the roof. And it's bone dry inside!
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 am

:thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Cantputt » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 pm

eggsalad wrote:I just need to gloat. It rained hard today, first time since I finished off the roof. And it's bone dry inside!

Congrats :beer:

How are you going to charge your batteries back up?
Cantputt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby eggsalad » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm

Cantputt wrote:
How are you going to charge your batteries back up?

Battery charger! LOL

Seriously...By my math, that pair of batteries ought to last 3-4 days of typical camping. Since all my camping is dry, if I want to stay out longer, I can pop them out and connect them to the TV battery and have them charged in under an hour, I bet. I'm also considering a 20W portable solar panel. If I figure it right, 4 hours in the sun at 20 watts should put 6 or so Ah back into the battery, which ought to be plenty.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:34 pm

I have the older version of this 3.9 Watt and a tiny Emergency battery. With both light on, 4 hours, with one light one for 6 hours. Light is a little dim outside but enough to cook in the galley. In side the camper, and with it all closed up, the light is plenty bright.

http://www.harborfreight.com/39-watt-so ... 68694.html

I use a Coleman lantern if I need bright outside light and have a Wick oil lamp for inside use if needed.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eggsalad » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Woo! Remember me? Now all the idiots on the road can actually see my trailer! In the pics below, heavy circles are LED lights, medium circles are reflectors, and fine circles are 3M Conspicuity Tape. If they don't see me now, it's their fault, not mine!

eggsalad
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals