CNC Build: The Bed and Breakfast at 4 years and 40,000 miles

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CNC Build -- Galley under counter design/build 3

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:02 pm

wagondude wrote:Guess where you have to go to get on the ship.

Soon as I open my mouth, there's someone to help me stuff my foot in it. :lol:

That should be an interesting trip. Tell Ecuador I said "Hi. Send more SandePly'." :oops:

Report back on the lush forests and clean air. And the turtles (tortoises? Tortoii?) and all those other Galapagos critters. :D

Reminds me of one theory I heard about Easter Island. They think it was forested until the aliens that made the big stone heads cut down all the trees to use the logs for rollers. Talk about bad forest management. Since there wasn't any shade any more, the aliens left. (okay, I made up the part about aliens, but not the part about the trees.) :roll:

Once in a lifetime chance for that trip. Go for it. No terrorists there, just tourorists. :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Bro:

I can't believe you've thrown Ecuador under the bus by using SandePly. Those little guys have a hard enough time breathing at their elevation and now the Ecuadorian hillsides are gonna be devoid of oxygen producing trees. Disgusting. How are you going to sleep in that thing?

Me? I have a conscience. I chose to throw the Russians under the bus when I went with my Ruskie birch underlayment. :thumbsup: I'm planning on taking a nap in my 'drop this afternoon and I'll sleep deep.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

I'm thinking that trip will be about five years away (25th anniversary trip). Going to have to save up a while for that one. I still don't have a passport or an official copy of my birth certificate. But I have time for all that.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:I can't believe you've thrown Ecuador under the bus by using SandePly

Hey, it's a small country. Even though it's full of short people, :thumbdown: there's hardly any room for a sheet of plywood. So I'm doing them a favor. :thumbsup:

tony.latham wrote:I chose to throw the Russians under the bus when I went with my Ruskie birch underlayment. I

You're a good cold warrior and a great American. :applause: We all need to do our part to prevent Cold War II. Me? I've bought enough stuff from the Chi-Coms to insure peace for generations to come. :D

wagondude wrote:I'm thinking that trip will be about five years away (25th anniversary trip). Going to have to save up a while for that one. I still don't have a passport or an official copy of my birth certificate. But I have time for all that.

That trip might take five years to save up for. Start now and hope the polar ice caps don't melt in the meantime. :roll: Get your passport and papers in order now and avoid the rush. ("Can I see your papers, please?" :cry: )

Stay tuned. Another update is in the works and coming soon.

:beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:21 pm

That 100-150 lb capacity slide was not designed to hold weight in that aplication...Big mistake...
http://www.homewarehq.com/accuride-4034 ... _bwzbw_wcB
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:37 am

oakinteriors1 wrote:That 100-150 lb capacity slide was not designed to hold weight in that aplication...Big mistake...

Hi, Oakinteriors1. Welcome to the thread.

Umm. Yes. The slide nearest the camera only holds a small fraction of the rated capacity in the position shown. This post, fifth photo shows the problem I'm trying to solve. The slide is too tall in the front to allow the oven door to open AND for the whole mess to fit under the counter. The counter is already up to the bottom of my shirt pocket. Raising the counter is feasable, although I don't wanna.

Actually, I hadn't thought of raising the counter until you brought this up. :thinking: I think that would be Plan E, as it's already up to Plan D. Admittedly, the current Plan D is kludgy, but I just measured, and Plan E would raise the counter to the top of my shirt pocket. :( :thumbdown:

My current thinking is a U-shaped or rectangular box to hold oven and stove that would be analogous to this flimsy mockup:

Weight on the least supported corner, bottom-right, causes downward forces on bottom-left, where the slide is vertical and creates torque that is transmitted through the box to the upper end. This wants to lift the top left corner, which is held down by the slide. The torque is transmitted to the top-right corner by the cantilevered side of the box to the flat slide, which is supported by the floor.

The mockup proved (to me, at least) this will be more rigid than having both slides laying flat. Rigid enough? Don't know yet.

Obviously, this is unconventional and isn't what the slide mfgr intended. I'm working on a full mockup, and if that isn't satisfactory, I will go to plan F.

Plan F would be to leave the oven out of this build. Plan F would also free up some under-counter volume for Dutch oven storage.

Steve, you have built far more (and far nicer) cabinets than I have. Have you ever encountered a similar situation? How did you handle it? No-bid would be the smart way out. :)

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:36 am

Any chance of moving the oven to one side of the galley? That way you could just raise a portion of the counter (or build cabinets over) and have the remainder of the counter at a height that you would prefer (or at least the bottom of shirt pocket gauge).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:20 am

KCStudly wrote:Any chance of moving the oven to one side of the galley?

That's the plan. t's in the middle now just because it's easier to deal with while prototyping.

KCStudly wrote:you could just raise a portion of the counter

"I'll burn that bridge when I come to it." Kharn did a good job of that in his build. In my design, the countertop is an important structural part to brace the galley walls so the hatch design has a chance to to seal. "The chief cause of problems is solutions."--Eric Sevareid

I should have the mockup ready today. Stay tuned. :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm

"Plan F would be to leave the oven out of this build. Plan F would also free up some under-counter volume for Dutch oven storage."

I vote for Plan F. (This is a forum-wide community project, isn't it? Don't WE have some ownership in this 'drop?) :)

There's just something about camp cooking in a Dutch...

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Man that Tony has a mean streak in him! :x :?

Showing pictures way out in the wild camping and all that yummy looking DO food. Damn, that's just mean throwing it our face like that all the time, and now I'm hungry! :cry:

( :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup: :applause: )

We ought to get serious and finish our builds so we can get out there and show him up! Why I oughta...

:lol: :lol: :FNP :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:33 pm

KCStudly wrote:Man that Tony has a mean streak in him! :x :?

Showing pictures way out in the wild camping and all that yummy looking DO food. Damn, that's just mean throwing it our face like that all the time, and now I'm hungry! :cry:

We ought to get serious and finish our builds so we can get out there and show him up! Why I oughta...

+1
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:26 pm

KCStudly wrote:Man that Tony has a mean streak in him! :x :?

Mean? You think I can be mean? You'll know how mean I can get when I upload a fresh pic of Poet Creek, Idaho. Expect it about August 8th. I might even dip my cup in the creek and take a glug. :thumbsup: :beer:

Tony

P.S. Those dutch's will get a work out Friday night beside a clear creek full of Westslope Cutties
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 pm

tony.latham wrote:I vote for Plan F. (This is a forum-wide community project, isn't it? Don't WE have some ownership in this 'drop?)

Sure. I just get the tie-breaking vote. Let me 'splain that: If everone votes "A" and I vote "B", that's a tie, and B wins. 8)

There's plenty of room in my Taco for a DO.

KCStudly wrote:Damn, that's just mean throwing it our face

I'm opening my mouth and catching as much as I can. :Flippin Burger: :picnic: :campfire: :guzzle:

KCStudly wrote:We ought to get serious and finish our builds so we can get out there and show him up!

and
bonnie wrote:+1

Add my +1 to that! :thumbsup:

Hi, Bonnie! Welcome to the thread.

tony.latham wrote:... creek full of Westslope Cutties

Pretty fishie! (if you ask me.)

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Galley oven/stove semi-final

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 pm

I'm sure everyone's on pins and needles wondering how the Great Oven and Stove Full Scale Mockup went. I'm happy to report that results were "acceptable." I'm going to proceed as planned. If things don't work out in use, I can retrofit Plan F without a complete demolition. The slideout is still springy, but I think it is solid enough to cook on. Some of the springyness is the plywood floor of the Tear flexing. :o I wonder if this could be due to the lack of wood framing under the floor. :NC I can stiffen up the the back end with some subfloor 2x4s. That would be (relatively) easy and wouldn't show. :roll: Thinking out loud.

Here it is, all snuggled into its new home:

And extended:

It's a little close at the top:
but I can trim up to 3/4" off the bottom of the faceframe. That was expected. :thumbsup:

I have more work to do on the "cooking condo." Gotta cover up these sheet metal screws in front of the oven:

Also remake the piece in front of the stove. I cut it to size before I added the stove shelf, which changed the measurement. It's off by about 3/16".
PITA

I'm also starting to do some wiring and plumbing:

I'm doing a few upgrades to the TV. I finally had enough of the shell back window falling on my head, and got new gas struts. Now I dont need to use the holder-upper:

Preparing to get TV power to the Towed Vehicle:

I think it's time to get some aluminum skin ordered. A lot of minor things can't install until the outside walls get skinned. Porch lights, running lights, shore power inlet, water tank fill, ???. Need to mount the hatch and skin the ceiling, insulate the attic, and skin the roof, then interior lighting, fan, ???. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Or the oncoming train.

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Galley hatch and TV report

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:35 pm

No pix today, just a progress report.

If you scroll up to the first picture above, you'll see how I spent a big part of my day. I got the big 12 volt line from the TV battery to the trailer installed. On my back, under the truck, dirt falling down in my face, stringing wire in convolute tubing. I'm sure glad that's done.

The next thing I tackled was dry fitting my hatch frame. Even though I had done several mockups, this was the first time I really went through all the rigamarole needed to mount the hatch. Well, whaddya know? I got everything lined up, hinge blocks in their slots, and everything aligned, and ... something wasn't right. :fb The walls didn't meet the ends of the aft bulkhead as planned. The BFH wouldn't move the walls, 6" c-clamps wouldn't do the job, and I was wishing for a 6 foot c-clamp with skyhook to squeeze the whole thing together. There was about a 1/8" gap on either side, from the inside of the wall to the edge of the aft bulkhead. This was unprecedented. I sat down, had a smoke, and stared daggers at the darn thing.

Each of the 3 hatch ribs connect to the aft bulkhead with 2 hinge blocks, using a half-inch bolt as a hinge pin. So it goes bolt head-washer-hinge block-rib-hinge block-washer-nylock nut. I had to make a space for the nut on both sides, and the nut wasn't contacting anything. While I was staring daggers, I noticed that the washers on the nut end were really sandwiched between the hinge blocks and the rain gutter. Eureka! :P I chiseled off a couple of layers of plywood where the washer was, put it back together, and presto! Everything's cool again. 8) I sure am glad I did that dry fit and didn't just go wild with the glue and BFH.

By now, it was past beer-thirty and I called it a day.

Tomorrow, I will mount the hatch and maybe start skinning.

Thanks for stopping by! :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals