CNC Build: The Bed and Breakfast at 4 years and 40,000 miles

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: CNC Build -- Registration Day (five)

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:14 am

Small world; I was at the dentist today for a cleaning. :o
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:42 am

KCStudly wrote:Small world; I was at the dentist today for a cleaning.

So was I. You probably got yours, lucky you. :R
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:57 am

:D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Reg Day (six) - Stamping the VIN

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:04 pm

:P I took my shiny new VTR-68a form to the DMV, waited for the nice lady to type all the info from the forms into the computer, forked over two bucks and left with my VIN Number!

Next step: stamp the VIN onto the frame and take a picture for the tax assessor. After going to Harbor Fright to buy a cheap? set of metal stamps. This was such a pain in the Posterior that I thought everyone should see what it took to get a legible stamping of the VIN.

Words to the wise

Don't get the big set of stamps. It's hard as hell to get a legible impression from the big 'uns.

(/WTTW)

Naturally, I wanted my VIN stamping to look somewhat even, to go along with the general level of workmanship (somewhat even). But, the stampings were taking several hammer blows to get the whole character stamped. Of course, it's near impossible to get the stamp exactlly where the last impression went. So I took a couple pieces of Ecuadorian Scrap and made a simple alignment jig:
The bottom piece stays clamped in one position, and the top piece gets moved for each letter. The stamp goes in the corner of the "L" shaped notch, upper right.

With that, I was able to hit accurately enough that a few hits gave me a complete character:
(That's a "2")

Onward to the tax assessor!

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Sheddie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:14 am

Getting close now :)
:beer: Frank
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am

Brad,

Since you've laid out how to navigate the bureaucracy, I may try to get my teardrop legal. :? With the "re-organization" by my former employer leaving me without an income, I certainly have the time. :x

Thanks for the pointers on registration and the tip about the smaller punch set.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:02 am

Tom, you're very welcome. :D The hardest part was getting hooked up with the inspection. Once you get that done, it's all downhill. Don't wait until October when all those guys go to their conference. Call the county sheriff's office and ask when/where the "VTR-65a inspections" take place. If you ask that specific question, they'll know what you mean and you'll get an answer. You probably don't need to make an actual appointment. I think they mostly happen on Wednesday mornings.

Good luck!

CapnTelescope's tips for the unemployed: Swallow your pride and apply for unemployment as soon as you're eligible. Network. Tell your friends and anyone else you can. Don't think that just because you don't have to go to work you can sleep in. Get up at the same time as the Missus. How do I know all this? :roll:

Wishing you especially good luck on your job quest. :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Sheddie » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Sorry to but in Brad,
Just want to say to Tom sorry to here about the job. My wife went through the same thing back in April. Her job and the jobs of six others in her office got moved 160km south to Auckland. Still applying. Good luck in the hunt.
:beer: Frank.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:27 pm

OMG! I've hijacked my own thread! :shock:

:rofl:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Schtuff happens to the best of us. Hang in there. Things have a way of working out. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: CNC Build -- Reg Day (seven) - Victory!

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:23 pm

:P Victory! Total, complete, unconditional, unequivocal victory! It was a tough fight, but I won. :P

Yesterday, after I got off the phone with Mom, I hotfooted it up to the tax assessor's office, arrived at 4:28 pm according to the car clock, wandered through the halls of government for a couple of minutes, arrived at the office, punched my info into the "Please Take a Number" computer, and it told me that vehicle registrations aren't available after 4:30. :x Of course, the office is open until 5:00, but no matter. You can't win an argument with a govt computer and stay out of jail, so I turned around and went home.

Today, I didn't dork around until the last minute. Got there after lunch hour, and got 'er done.

What a melodrama. Sheesh. I'm glad that's over. :phew:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby noseoil » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:39 pm

What a colossal nightmare & major PITA! Now I know why people use Maine as a place to register their trailers, just lick the stamp & mail a check.

Here in Az it's a lot easier. Basically show up with a receipt for the axle, frame, whatever & pay for the registration & license. To transfer mine into my own name (used, private sale) it was $16 for the title & a lifetime plate.

Trust government to make a simple thing complex, time consuming & expensive.

Glad it worked out in the end for you Brad, job well done. Nil illegitimi carborundum (the only latin I know)!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Brad,

That is awesome! You have given me hope on registering the SB. Now back to the build.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: CNC Build -- Easy Table Saw Box joint

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:45 pm

With a maiden voyage and registration achieved, the weather turned cool and I was able to do some yard work I'd been putting off for a long while. The hot dry summers we had from '10 to '13 killed 3 trees in my yard that I wanted to replace. Two of 4 new trees are now done. Also, When I put up the shop, I had them scrape some dirt away so I could put in a walkwsy. That was over two years ago, and every time I go out to the shop, that unfinished project stares at me. I got out my trusty shovel and started digging a drainage ditch. Thank Goodness for cool weather. Fifty feet of ditch, a cubic yard of dirt out and similar amount of crushed rock in, Phase One is complete.

Then it got rainy, as well as cold, and I got to spend some time on the Tear. The maiden voyage showed up a few minor problems that I got taken care of. One bigger item was the cooler tray where the Ecuadorian ply failed after getting wet. Time to make another.

This time, instead of plywood, I took a stick of good ol' HD whitewood and the marine ply from one of the door cutouts. The whitewood had a sticker that said "Product of Sweden." I'm assuming that is a small town in Wisconsin. I've been to Luxemburg, WI, and some really good cheese comes from Denmark, WI, so Sweden, WI must be somewhere nearby. Anyway, I didn't want to use any more wood from furriners. :roll:

The marine ply piece has my jigsaw joint running down the middle. It turned out like this:

I used a fairly simple method to cut the box joints on the table saw. All it takes is a stop on your miter fence, some spacer blocks, and an ordinary saw blade. No layout, no marking, no hand sawing, usually no tears. :NC

First make the parts that will have the "pins" on the top and bottom.

This step is critical to the fit of the joint. Set the stop on the miter fence so the edge of the piece is even with the near side of the saw blade. (i.e. so it just misses making a cut by a hair) Set the saw blade height to just a little more than the board thickness.

Put a spacer block between the workpiece and miter stop.
Don't let this pic confuse you, it shows the mating part. Note the stop (red) and the wooden spacer block. Move along, nothing else to see here.

1. Stand the board on end, and make a cut:

2. Turn the board around and repeat.

3. Flip the board end for end and repeat the first two cuts.

4. Add a spacer block and repeat the first three steps.

5. Repeat as many times as necessary. Your board will look like the bottom one in this photo:
The numbers reflect the order of the cuts, and the X's will get wasted.

Do the same on the other side/end while you are still set up.

Next up are the mating pieces.

This step is critical to the fit of the joint. Using one of the first pieces as a guide, set the stop so the saw blade is even with the inside of the outside pin.
Confuse-us say: picture worth more than confusing explanation.

Proceed as before, only this time the first cut uses no spacer block.

Mark the areas to waste with an "X". Just like in the pix. Cut away the bits marked with the X's on all boards.

Clean up with a chisel and do a dry fit. Marvel at the fine quality of your work.

Glue and clamp:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Re: CNC Build -- Tambour doors for the galley - First look

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:07 pm

I built the first tambour door for the galley cabinets and gained some experience. In the sense that I didn't qui-i-ite get what I wanted. ;)

First the tracks go in:

Here's the first look:

Half open/shut:

Mostly I was happy with the results, but it was no cigar. Here's what went wrong:
1. The slats are a half inch short. I blame the Ecuadorian Conspiracy.
2. I had to shorten (lower) the tracks about a quarter inch so the slats would fit under the top rail of the face frame. I think I'll fix this by making the slats thinner.
3. Raising the door doesn't go smoothly because the slats catch at the top of the opening, where the track slot transitions into the top front curve. This happens because the face frame acts as the front wall of the vertical part of the track, and there is a step at the beginning of the curve. I think some careful hand work will fix this problem. Maybe also because, with the slats too short, the front track is too exposed.
4. Some slats didn't fully stick to the canvas backing. This helped make problem 3 worse. Gluing the backing to the slats is a bit fussy, because too much glue sticks the slats together, and not enough causes this problem.

Knowledge gained:
1. I've proved the concept.
2. Now I know exactly how many slats I need--six less than I made up. However many that is. :NC
3. These doors are going to look pretty darn good when finished, IMHO.

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals