"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm

ryuandwings wrote:Personally, I think Subarus look better with more stuff piled on top or behind. Kayak, bikes, roof cargo and cage, and now a camper! :lol:

Couldn't agree more! :twisted: :lol:

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Those are cool! :thumbsup:

I need to go through my photos.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Managed to get a little work done tonight, although I should have been packing for the gathering this weekend. Finished the floor framing, so next week it will be ready for skins and insulation! :twisted:

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:30 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Image

"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a Subaru with pallets on the roof and a teardrop on the hitch"
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Back a few pages Alaska Teardrop asked how much the trailer weighs? I am assembling mine this weekend. Out of curiosity I weighed the 5' x 8' "deck" structure on a bathroom scale. It weighed 95 pounds. Zach asked if this is with the tongue? No it it only the 5' x 8' deck structure before the spring holders, springs, axle and wheels were attached. Nor was the tongue attached.
:)

I'm also favorably impressed with Northern Tool's Ironton 5' x 8' trailer. It seems like a sturdy and easily adaptable trailer.

Zach, you may be leading me astray by showing how easy it is to install a torsion axle. I just looked up a Flexiride axle at Southwest Wheel. Didn't pull the trigger YET. I kinda sorta maybe really want to. I like that the Flexiride axle has an adjustable torsion arm (start angle).

edits in blue
Last edited by Esteban on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 am

Esteban wrote:Back a few pages Alaska Teardrop asked how much the trailer weighs? I am assembling mine this weekend. Out of curiosity I weighed the 5' x 8' "deck" structure on a bathroom scale. It weighed 95 pounds.

I'm also favorably impressed with Northern Tool's Ironton 5' x 8' trailer. It seems like a sturdy and easily adaptable trailer.

Zach, you may be leading me astray by showing how easy it is to install a torsion axle. I just looked up a Flexiride axle at Southwest Wheel. Didn't pull the trigger YET. I kinda sorta maybe really want to.
:thinking:

Thanks for weighing in (pun intended) :thinking:

Was that 95lbs with or without the tongue?

The torsion axle was super easy to install, especially on the Northern Tool trailer since the side rails are a solid 8' long. The hardest part was figuring out the start angle, but after much debate I ended up with the manufacturer recommended 22.5 degree down.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 am

After a GREAT weekend of camping with the Chesapeake Bay TearJerkers, I was ready to get back to work on the trailer. Once I got home and cleaned up a bit, my buddy and I headed to Lowe's with the trailer. Picked up a few sheets of 3/16" (5.0mm) plywood underlayment, a sheet of 3/4" insulation, and a few other miscellaneous things.

We laid the floor frame down on the garage floor and got to work skinning what will be the bottom side. Used a ton of Titebond III and 3/4" brad nails to hold the skins in place. Here I am marking lines on plywood so I know where I can nail into.

Then we stood the panel up to make sure there weren't and gaps. You'll notice that the skins are larger than the frame. Some night this week I'll take a router around the outside edge and trim that off. I'll also do the same with the battery openings in the middle of the floor. Insulation panels will be cut to fill the voids in the floor.

Its already feeling pretty solid, and I'm sure the insulation and top skin will help tremendously.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Is it just me or is the central structure "free floating" independent of the rest of the framework?
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:Is it just me or is the central structure "free floating" independent of the rest of the framework?

You are correct. That central structure has narrow wire chases that run down each side of it and then converge in the middle where the galley bulkhead will be. The wires will then turn up the bulkhead wall and go to wherever they need to. At the front of the floor, the chases open up into the front electrical compartment. Once the insulation is in and the other skin is on, the floor will be one solid unit despite being pieced together as you see.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:16 pm

I was wondering if it was an electric raceway being next to the battery boxes.
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:55 pm

be_a_jayhawk wrote:I was wondering if it was an electric raceway being next to the battery boxes.

Yup. As soon as I get the battery openings routed out then there will be small holes drilled through the framing into the chases.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Trimmed the edges and the battery openings on the bottom skin of the floor assembly tonight, using a router and a flush-trim bit.

Before I can put the top skin on, I needed to build the battery cage because some of the bolts will be covered by the top skin.

Using the same method as the X-II, I designed the battery cage using 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 perforated/slotted steel angle. Once again I'm planning for two batteries, but unlike the X-II this cage will be one assembly. I cut the pieces using my handheld jigsaw with a metal blade. Cut like a knife through butter.

Test fitting it to the openings in the floor...

The final dual-battery cage.... solid as can be!

I pulled the trailer frame back into the garage and test fit the floor assembly. Then clamped the battery cage to the floor and drilled the mounting holes. I also used clamps to press the floor assembly onto the bolt heads of the trailer frame. This marked the exact locations of all the bolts so I can use a forstner bit and create recesses so the floor sits flat on the frame.

I'll also need to cut a few narrow strips of 3/16" plywood to put on top of the trailer frame crossmembers to make the floor absolutely flat on the frame. Maybe I'll even get the insulation pieces cut tomorrow.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 am

KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:15 am

I like the clamp idea to locate the bolt heads, I'll have to use it this weekend.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 am

KCStudly wrote:"I love it when a plan comes together" - John "Hannibal" Smith, The A-Team

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks KC. Although I'm not very far along, everything has lined up perfectly according to my AutoCAD model. Fingers crossed that it keeps going this well. :worship:

I did notice that since I still have the stock 12" wheels & 5.30 x12 tires, my battery cage is only about 6-1/2" off the ground. :o

Once I get the 15" wheels with 205/75-15 tires, then I'll have the almost 10" of ground clearance that I intended for.

Kharn wrote:I like the clamp idea to locate the bolt heads, I'll have to use it this weekend.

I previously used the "whack the floor with a BFH" method to imprint the bolt heads to the floor, but using the clamps to gently press the floor onto the bolts keeps it from bouncing and sliding out of position. You just have to crank down on the clamps to get a good impression.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals