"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 29, 2014 10:12 am

Last night I had to pull the X out of the garage a little bit in order to install the gas struts for the roof hatch. Its a bit of a squeeze....

.... but I have a whole 1/4" to spare. :lol:

The struts work great and open it right up, but they bent the strut brackets a bit so I have to research some stronger brackets. They work for now, but I will have to find new ones. I still have the protective paper on the underside of the acrylic panels because I'm not done painting under there.

Once I got the trailer back in the garage I installed and wired the tail lights. The tail lights are the Optronics GloLight series, which I recessed into the hatch about 1/8".

The high-center light is also made by Optronics. It functions as a tail light and brake light (but not turn signals). I had to install a 2-wire to 3-wire converter for it to function properly. The converter has a simple logic circuit in it that will only illuminate the brake light when a signal is received from BOTH the green and yellow stop/turn wires. Without the converter the high-center light would get brighter during braking, but it would also flash every time EITHER turn signal is activated.

The brake lights are INCREDIBLY BRIGHT!! If someone rear-ends me because they "didn't see my brake lights", I will light their car on fire using their drivers license and registration card as kindling.

Once all the wiring was finished I shifted my attention to the last two acrylic panels: the pane at rear of the trolley top, and the small narrow pane in the ceiling of the galley that goes up into the trolley top. These were a pain to install!!! It was supposed to be easy. It took 2 hours! The two panels kind of occupy the same space, and one has to be installed before the other or they won't fit.

Who has two thumbs and installed the wrong one first? This guy. :thumbdown:

The major issue was that I had already cleaned up the excess caulk and removed the protective paper from the first panel before I realized my mistake. So as I was removing the panel I got caulk all over it. :O Fortunately I'm using DAP ALEX Plus caulk, which is soap and water cleanup until it dries (7-14 days for full cure, depending on depth). Once I got the small panel cleaned up I started installing the rear window.

It was an incredibly tight fit because I'm an idiot and when I was cutting the panel to size a few weeks ago I didn't account for the paint buildup on the interior walls. So I ended up scratching the paint to hell in the process. Well finally I got the rear window into position and cleaned up the excess caulk. Before installing the small panel at the base of the rear window, I got out the paint brush and touched up the interior walls.

Finally I could install the small panel, but had to be super careful because there was now no protective coating (and I ran out of painters tape). :?

What a freakin night!! It was sooooo frustrating, but I struggled through and prevailed. Of course, it was now 2am and waaaaaaay past my bedtime. :FNP

The only thing remaining to be "campable" are the doors! (Ignore my lack of fenders for now) :banana: :dancing

I still have 6 days before the maiden voyage, but I still have a few things that I'd like to knock out of the way before then. :thinking:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Took a few quick pictures on my lunch break.

License plate is mounted. Bought a plastic universal license plate bracket from Advanced Auto, and a few stainless steel screws and finish washers.

Closeup of the recessed tail lights. They are caulked inside and out. You just cant see it.

Bullet connectors for the hatch wiring, wrapped with split wire loom.

The rear window of the trolley top, also showing the smaller second acrylic window into the upper galley. The orange light is from a 36" recessed RGB LED strip in the ceiling of the trolley top.

And the reason I wanted the smaller second window - to let ambient light from the ceiling mounted RGB strip down into the galley. You can also see the 2-wire to 3-wire converter for the high-center tail/brake light.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am

Finished hooking up the rooftop solar panel last night, installed the 20A solar charge controller, and cleaned all the tools and construction garbage out of the teardrop to get it ready for "final" prep! Doors, carpet tiles, and mattress are next! :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri May 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Great job Zach. It's Friday. Have a :beer: to celebrate and calm your nerves.

Who would guess it all started with a NT 5x8 trailer. Its humble origin is well disguised/hidden by your creativity.

Happy trails!
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Go Zach go! The trailer looks great!

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat May 31, 2014 1:05 pm

realy really nice you are lucky you made it doug H had to screw wheels on the bottom of his trailer remove the axel and pull one of his out.

Look really fine!!

I am impressed.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat May 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys! Its been a heck of a long build (in a relatively short period of time).

OFFICIALLY READY TO GO CAMPING!!!!

Last night after getting all the tools cleaned up I just had to take it for a spin so we went and got some ice cream! This thing really looks wild at night! 8)

This morning I installed the doors in the galley.

And also installed some carpet tiles in the galley.

I still need to order the formica for the countertop, make some covers for the lower-galley pass-through openings, and a handful of other things, but she's at least campable!!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Sat May 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Looks very nice. I really like this design, plus you work very fast.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Looks wicked Zach.
In two years how ya gonna outdo this...lol

What style of fender are you going with? and will it tie in with the black, or go orange.
Bravo Sir...Outstanding !!! You deserve that beer.... :applause:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Looks great! BTW... you have pushed me over the edge. The doors look great, and as a result, we have changed course again and are going to buy rather than build. I'm calling Frank tomorrow to get the rough in info on the :o

Are you going to change out the eventual color scheme completely from the blue/grey to be orange/grey, or is the current orange the only orange that will be one it?
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Zach,
congrats on getting to campable! Wish Syracuse were closer to your neck of the woods, I'd zip over to kick the tires in a heartbeat! I 'knew' you'd have orange on the paint scheme. Oh, and while they might not have gotten a perfect match, often just getting in the color family will more than do the job... as evidenced by your trailer. Funny thing, I saw an XV in the same color tonight, (near Ithaca NY) and I thought... Hmmm, why do I know that car?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kharn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:59 am

Congrats! :beer:
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 am

danlott wrote:Looks very nice. I really like this design, plus you work very fast.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I have a very understanding gf that doesn't mind (too much) my long hours in the garage. She knows that it means she doesn't have to sleep on the ground (which she actually doesn't mind too much either) :lol:

Martiangod wrote:Looks wicked Zach.
In two years how ya gonna outdo this...lol

What style of fender are you going with? and will it tie in with the black, or go orange.
Bravo Sir...Outstanding !!! You deserve that beer.... :applause:

Two years?? :FNP

Not sure I'll be ready in another two years after this build! It was fun but there were quite a few times I was banging my head against the wall. But we'll see how bad I get the itch to build again. So far it has been every two years :? :lol:

I'm going to make my own fenders to match the linear design of the rest of the trailer. They'll just be 3/4" wood frame with 3/16" underlayment skin on the top side, and 1/4" acrylic skins on the underside. Haven't decided what color fenders or any further design I'm going to do yet. Orange might be nice for the fenders though. :thinking:

Gunguy05 wrote:Looks great! BTW... you have pushed me over the edge. The doors look great, and as a result, we have changed course again and are going to buy rather than build. I'm calling Frank tomorrow to get the rough in info on the :o

Are you going to change out the eventual color scheme completely from the blue/grey to be orange/grey, or is the current orange the only orange that will be one it?

Nice! You'll be happy with them after you forget about their cost. :lol:

Havent worked out a final scheme yet. Martiangod has me thinking about orange fenders now. :thinking:

Ned B wrote:Zach,
congrats on getting to campable! Wish Syracuse were closer to your neck of the woods, I'd zip over to kick the tires in a heartbeat! I 'knew' you'd have orange on the paint scheme. Oh, and while they might not have gotten a perfect match, often just getting in the color family will more than do the job... as evidenced by your trailer. Funny thing, I saw an XV in the same color tonight, (near Ithaca NY) and I thought... Hmmm, why do I know that car?

Thanks! Hey, if you aren't busy this weekend, I'm hosting a Liberty Bell Chapter TearJerkers gathering in Northern PA (Google Masten, PA). Campsites are about 3 hours North of me (I'm about 5 minutes from Maryland), and it looks like the campsites are only about 2.5 hours South of you! Come on down and join us for the weekend! Its a boondocking trip in the middle of the State Forest, so theres no electricity or running water, but there are crystal clear springs and swimming holes! It will be a smaller gathering because of the "lack of amenities" but I think we're going to have 5 or 6 trailers, and the one guy is even coming in from Staten Island. There should at least be a port-o-potty on site. No charge to camp! I'll be getting there Thursday afternoon and staying until Sunday afternoon. Message me if you want more details!

Kharn wrote:Congrats! :beer:

Thanks! You better step away from the computer build, and get back on the trailer build! Theres camping to be done!! :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Cool Zach 8)
    Wonderful job of documenting your design ideas & build. And especially the chassis/axle concept. :beer:
    Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:21 pm

You made the grade not as for camping..... I do not think people will leave you alone...... well maybe when it get's dark and they can no longer see it. But then there are all those fancy lights X-Cubed light show come one come all and see that great light show he put's on!!!

Real it looks incredible :EXP :EXP :EXP :shake hands: good job :snappy: take lots of pictures of it's first camp out.

Ron Dickey
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals