"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:06 am

alaska teardrop wrote:
    Cool Zach 8)
    Wonderful job of documenting your design ideas & build. And especially the chassis/axle concept. :beer:
    Fred

Thanks Fred! When I built my first teardrop I didn't know about torsion axles. On my second build I would have loved one, but didn't do enough research to feel comfortable with it. Once I did all the reading for this build, it just made sense to do it, and it really wasn't hard at all! The ride is sooooooooooo smooth.... and QUIET!!!

Ron Dickey wrote:You made the grade not as for camping..... I do not think people will leave you alone...... well maybe when it get's dark and they can no longer see it. But then there are all those fancy lights X-Cubed light show come one come all and see that great light show he put's on!!!

Real it looks incredible :EXP :EXP :EXP :shake hands: good job :snappy: take lots of pictures of it's first camp out.

Ron Dickey

Thanks Ron! I never really do anything to "blend in" so I won't be surprised to be giving a few tours here and there :lol:

Its all in good fun and if I can help spread the interest in these small campers, then that's even better!! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 am

Working on the last push to get ready for my trip this weekend!! Its campable, but as I said there are a couple things that I wanted to get done.

Made the doors to close off the galley from the sleeping cabin. The one will be used as a doggy door for my Beagle. The other side is a place to put a 5000btu AC unit if I ever decide that I need to take one along.

I also mounted my el-cheapo $11.58 Chinese battery level indicator. It reads about .2V low, but that's ok because I'd rather it read low than high. It only has a 15mA draw, but I added a switch anyway so I can turn it off whenever. I forgot to check it, but I'm wondering if the switch may be the culprit of the voltage drop. Either way I'm not worried. Its just there for a quick reference to give me an idea of where my levels are at.

Two more sleeps and then I'm off on the maiden voyage!!!!!! (not that I'm excited or anything) :lol:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:38 am

Can Fred get back in once he exits?
My dog isn't allowed anywhere near the camper, 1) she'd take up all the room, and 2) she'd scratch the heck out of the paint. :lol:
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:43 am

Kharn wrote:Can Fred get back in once he exits?
My dog isn't allowed anywhere near the camper, 1) she'd take up all the room, and 2) she'd scratch the heck out of the paint. :lol:

When I'm at the campsite up north the door just stays open and he comes and goes as he pleases (unless its raining and muddy). I'm planning on making a screen similar to the "Magic Mesh" to help keep bugs out.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Took the Cubed to get weighed at lunch. About 200lbs more than I was guessing, but then again I wasn't taking into account its sheer size. :?

1280lbs before camping gear. This weight includes two batteries, the mattress, and one of the solar panels. The only things left to add are the fenders and the second solar panel, so that will tip me just over the 1300lb mark.

With gear I'll be right at my cars official "American" towing capacity, but those numbers are much lower than the towing capacities from across "the pond". Its because of the damn lawsuit happy Americans and all the bullshit safety legislation that the towing capacity listed here is literally half of what it is overseas.

For example, UK and Australia's XV are rated to tow 1400kg/750kg (with and without trailer brakes). Converting that to imperial units: 3086lbs with trailer brakes, 1653lbs without. :shock:

As a car guy, I know that many things have an impact on the tow ratings, but mechanically its virtually the same vehicle. The United States is just full of idiots that can't think for themselves and then if something does go wrong they want to make a quick buck and blame their own stupidity on someone(or something) else. /rant

:NC :D
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:57 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Took the Cubed to get weighed at lunch. About 200lbs more than I was guessing, but then again I wasn't taking into account its sheer size. :?

1280lbs before camping gear...

Zach - are you using trailer brakes?

Just curious...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:37 pm

jonw wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Took the Cubed to get weighed at lunch. About 200lbs more than I was guessing, but then again I wasn't taking into account its sheer size. :?

1280lbs before camping gear...

Zach - are you using trailer brakes?

Just curious...

No, I didn't get the axle with brake flanges. I'm going to see how she handles this summer, and if it does feel like its pushing too much maybe I'll swap out the axle this winter. I'm sure this axle will still be in good shape and maybe somebody on here would be interested in buying it for a good price. We'll see though. I've had it hitched up the past few days and been driving around town with it. It feels extremely manageable behind the Crosstrek and I was honestly surprised when I saw the scale printout reading 1280lbs. The Crosstrek's CVT is as smooth as butter and power delivery feels very good despite the small displacement of the engine, compared to my 3.0 Outback.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm

1280lbs before camping gear.

111153 Pretty much the same feeling here, and after adding camping gear, I hit 1438 lbs. I knew then that the HHR was a no-go as my TV. And, since the big truck was now the TV, my decision for no brakes was OK. But, eventually, I'll get a medium-sized TV, and will want brakes, so, when circumstances required a new axle...I went big, 3500lb with brakes. By the way, 1760lbs now. Oh yeah, the Cubed is even nicer than your previous one, both unique designs with great flair.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:48 pm

Zach,
I'll be driving in circles as usual this weekend (I'm a medical courier), thanks for the invite though!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:52 am

working on it wrote: Pretty much the same feeling here, and after adding camping gear, I hit 1438 lbs. I knew then that the HHR was a no-go as my TV. And, since the big truck was now the TV, my decision for no brakes was OK. But, eventually, I'll get a medium-sized TV, and will want brakes, so, when circumstances required a new axle...I went big, 3500lb with brakes. By the way, 1760lbs now. Oh yeah, the Cubed is even nicer than your previous one, both unique designs with great flair.

Thanks! I just looked up the HHR specs and looks like power wise the Crosstrek is about the same but the final drive ratios are slightly different and the towing capacity is rated higher for the Crosstrek.

How did you go from 1280 to 1760?! :o :shock: :lol:

I hope I don't gain that much camping weight!! :FNP

Tomorrow , once I'm loaded up for my trip this weekend, I might have to stop by the scale again and see if they'll let me weigh in again (municipal use scale, not public). :thinking:

Ned B wrote:Zach,
I'll be driving in circles as usual this weekend (I'm a medical courier), thanks for the invite though!

Too bad! Maybe another time! Keep an eye on the TearJerkers forum for upcoming events! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 am

Although I should probably be packing and organizing for the trip this weekend, I spent a few hours in the garage again last night working on the camper.

First up was the side porch lights! The paint is drying on them right now, but here's a picture during construction:

They're painted black and they'll each have two 1.5W led fixtures inside, shining down.

In the midst of my porch light construction, a sweet storm came through and tried to drown the Cubed. So far she seems to be watertight! :worship:

While I was in the garage, the GF was inside making room-darkening sun-roof covers. She must have really thin eyelids because even a little light wakes her up! :?

These are two separate panels that can be snapped on and off indepently of each other. The bottom side is the same fabric as the door curtains, and the top side is the special opaque material used especially to block light.

Almost ready!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 am

What is the tongue weight limit on the Crosstrek in US? Is 200lb like Outbacks?
I am curious to see what kind of tongue weight you are getting with the X-Cubed and how you Crosstrek is handling that. :thinking:

Oh by the way, you did an awesome job on you build! :thumbsup:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks Ryu! Yeah, tongue weight limit is 200lbs. I'm not sure what it is right now, and I don't have a bathroom scale. I'd venture a guess that its around 75-100lbs as it sits. The rear end does squat a little bit, but not too much. I'll probably get some 1/4" or 3/8" 'saggy butt spacers' from Subtle Solutions to help out with that. I'm also thinking about their 1" lift kit, which I installed on my Outback. Its just a little extra boost, without screwing up the suspension geometry.

I want to add a cargo rack on the tongue similar to what my last trailer had, but havent got around to it. The tongue rack made traveling with my 10x10 canopy so much easier.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:34 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:
working on it wrote: Pretty much the same feeling here, and after adding camping gear, I hit 1438 lbs. I knew then that the HHR was a no-go as my TV. And, since the big truck was now the TV, my decision for no brakes was OK. But, eventually, I'll get a medium-sized TV, and will want brakes, so, when circumstances required a new axle...I went big, 3500lb with brakes. By the way, 1760lbs now. Oh yeah, the Cubed is even nicer than your previous one, both unique designs with great flair.

Thanks! I just looked up the HHR specs and looks like power wise the Crosstrek is about the same but the final drive ratios are slightly different and the towing capacity is rated higher for the Crosstrek.

How did you go from 1280 to 1760?! :o :shock: :lol:

I hope I don't gain that much camping weight!! :FNP
I reviewed my weight/balance spreadsheet, and found that I'm only at 1711 lbs. When I first weighed the trailer at 1280 lbs, it had no cargo (specifically the water jugs-2 of them =100 lbs, and a loaded ice chest=58 lbs), which added another 158 lbs. Initial camping weight was therefore 1438 lbs, as I reported in Sharon H's compilation of trailer weights. Since then, I added a much larger tongue box (with tools, nuts/bolts, electrical supplies, and spare parts- packed to the gills), with underlying slide-mount structure, and later had to re-do my suspension, adding a much larger and heavier, braked 3500 lb Dexter axle, heavier springs, hardware, and the 1/4" thick steel angle stock to hold it all together. And a second mattress, and two more side tables and mounting hardware. Then I re-made my generator mounting, added a 3.5 gallon fuel tank, and a fire extinguisher (#2 on the trailer).That's where the extra weight came from. Where others may build new trailers, I seem to just keep on adding things. Hope you never become an add-ict like me!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Zach,
The trailer looks great. In have been following your build and as always your builds are top notch. Compared to your previous build it looks too plain so I am expecting some wild paint scheme or graphics down the road. Have fun on its first camp outing

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals