"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby Kharn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:42 am

Are you sleeping in the car or a tent?

I'm bummed that we're missing all the good TJ campouts this spring, but my wife's crazy work schedule will slow down this summer right about time the Weekender's done.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 am

Aside from a rain shower tonight, the weather is looking awesome! I'm taking one of my many tents. My friends don't think I know how to set one up anymore.

But after camping in them A LOT up until 2010, I can set up a tent blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back while be attacked by a rabid porcupine. Because Boy Scout. 8) :FNP :lol:

Although, aside from the tent and sleeping bag, I was wandering around lost while trying to decide what else to take along this weekend. I've definitely been spoiled with the teardrops - everything is always right where you need it. Right now my camping gear is spread out in a million places. :?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 am

Oh how I know your pain. :lol:
I started keeping all of our stuff in clear stackable crates to make it easier.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 pm

She is looking great Zach.

From the very first pic you posted I was thinking it should have a complete screen in area up front. Like you posted a few pages back. Makes it easier to stand and get dressed.

Keep us posted.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Thanks Terry! If I can get the screen walls for the pop-up section to work right, then it will be sweet to have the ability to stand up!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Got back from Virginia Beach this afternoon. Friday night there were tornado warnings and torrential downpours up until about 10pm. This just reinforced my reasons for building a teardrop in the first place! Managed to get the tent set up without getting too wet, and stayed dry all night, so it could have been worse. Had an absolute blast meeting some new faces, seeing some new teardrops, and also spending some time hanging out with all the usual suspects!

After a nice long nap to recover from the 5 1/2 hour drive, I wanted to get back out into the garage and get some work done. Puttied and sanded a bunch of brad nails, and then skinned the hatch!! :twisted:

Should have a busy week of sanding, painting, and wiring in front of me!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby danlott » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Starting to look really nice, plus it is a trolley top, so I have to like it. :)

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks Dan! I definitely love the trolley tops.... adds and extra dimension to make the builds a little more interesting.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Johnysteam » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:06 pm

That IS an exciting build. Those exploded drawings really do show the input required is huge.
Johnysteam
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks Johnny :thumbsup:

Spent some more time in the garage tonight. :D

Galley is finally primered, and man does it look huge! Ok, well it is rather large, but I'll eventually make up some dividers similar to what I had on the X-II. Why change something when it works so well?

And the first color is in the cabin. "Barefoot Beach". I have two other colors ready for painting in here, plus a final coat of flat white for the ceiling section towards the rear.

Wish I had some more exciting pictures, but progress is progress!

I did pick up all of the aluminum that I'll need to make my tilting solar panel mounts for the roof and the hatch. I was just going to use fixed mounts, but I know how much just a little bit of an angle boosts the output. And I've put so much work into the rest of the trailer, so why keep it simple now? :twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I've put so much work into the rest of the trailer, so why keep it simple now?

Amen brother. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 pm

Your designs and craftsmanship are always impressive, Zach. :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks Sharon!!

I just got a call from the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The guy said that I was missing the check for the registration. I know I put two checks in with my paperwork... one for the sales tax on the trailer kit, and the other for the 2 year registration. No clue how one check could have escaped the envelope, but he was able to take a card over the phone, so all is well. They're sending my plate out today! :D

As for progress, my friend Sheryl came over last night for a little while and helped put some paint on the interior. While she was working on that, I got to cut up a bunch of aluminum to make my tilting solar panel mounts.

All the hardware there is for the two panels. The tilt angle won't be totally adjustable - they will just be either flat, or tilted at about 30 degrees. Once I get them mounted up I'll take a few more pictures and try to explain it better. I'm also waiting on a few quick release pins from Mcmaster Carr to arrive. That'll make the adjustment quick and easy.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Thu May 01, 2014 9:26 am

Very cool, how much weight will the panel add to your hatch? I do have those nice big (23x62" or 30x62") pieces of plywood on mine... :thinking:
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 am

Each panel is about 24lbs, based on the shipping weight info from FedEx. I have a pair of 100lb struts for the galley hatch, so we'll see if those will be adequate.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals