"The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "The X-Cubed" C.T.T.

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:so you have had your first official inspector. They say that is why my first trailer had gun ports for windows. The first SLO Gathering had 5 of those creatures per trailer. We used Pinesol to keep them away.

You have found a new use for the shasta swish Light works well.

Looks like you will be going out again really soon.

Ron 8)

If we would have had more than one visitor, then I could see it being a problem, but the one we could handle and it gave some excitement :lol:

This weekend, we're going to a house party on Saturday night and will be taking the Cubed along so we have a place to stay and don't have to drive afterwards :beer: :wine:

Then, next weekend, we have another TearJerker gathering with the Chesapeake Bay Chapter, at Cunningham Falls. Lots of camping going on this summer, and this is a heck of a start!! :FNP

KCStudly wrote:Nice spot. Did I miss you saying where it is at?

Looks like you had a good time! :thumbsup:

We had a great time! This trip was a small boondocking gathering with a few TearJerkers in the Loyalsock State Forest (Masten, PA). Free camping and no cell phone service!! :D
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:36 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:It did really well. There is one big hill climb on RT15 North coming into Williamsport which she was screaming up, but otherwise it was great. Averaged just over 20mpg for the whole trip, which probably would have been a little higher if I didn't have the cargo basket on the roof. But that was used to collect some firewood, so I'm glad I kept it on. Power-wise it definitely doesn't compare to my Outback, but I'm still absolutely happy that I traded it in for the XV. No regrets here! :thumbsup:

Glad you like it, I love my Impreza. :thumbsup:
Just watch out for the little plastic tab that hides the gas door handle's screw. That thing is always popping off and getting lost. :x
Kharn
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:51 am

No progress on the trailer, but I did start working on the stove for the galley. I took a Coleman 425 along on the maiden voyage, but I couldn't comfortably fit both my cast iron pan and skillet on there at the same time (mmmmmm bacon and eggs). So for the more permanent fixture, I've decided to tear down and refinish a 1961 Coleman 426C that I've had laying around since last year. My original plans for the stove were to refinish to its original green and red glory, but now I've decided to give it a paint scheme that matches the camper.

Last night I tore it apart and drilled out a bunch of the rivets so I could really break it down. They'll get replaced with stainless steel #3 pan head slotted screws, per a suggestion from our resident stove expert Doug Hodder. :thumbsup:

Pre-stripper....

Forgot to take a post-stripper picture, but it was weird how some paint peeled right up while other areas didn't seem to react to the stripper at all. Oh well, it'll all get sanded smooth and primered. More pictures to come once I make some more progress.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:04 pm

I've made a little progress on the stove. I dont know if my stripper is old, but in some spots it didnt even dull the stoves green paint. In other spots it peeled right up. It took a couple evenings, lots of sanding, lots of stripper, but its starting to look fresh again. Right now it has a few coats of the Rustoleum's High Temp grill paint (white and black - both flat). And the fuel tank is a lovely gloss orange Valspar spray paint that matches the trailer well enough.

My girlfriend also helped me modify the cornhole game boards that I made to match the X-II. We painted over the blue with orange, and added some LED hole lighting.

Just about ready for the TearJerkers Cheasapeake Bay Cunningham Falls Gathering this weekend!! :twisted:
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Breytie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:46 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote: I dont know if my stripper is old

Funny enough, I also noticed the same thing: As strippers get older, they get less of a reaction :thinking: !

Seriously: brilliant work, keep setting the setting the standard that high!
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:09 am

Breytie wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote: I dont know if my stripper is old

Funny enough, I also noticed the same thing: As strippers get older, they get less of a reaction :thinking: !

Seriously: brilliant work, keep setting the setting the standard that high!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks!! :beer:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:37 am

Hey Zach,

You gonna put that 40" TV in your camper? :shock: :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:07 pm

That would be pretty sweeeeeet!! :twisted:

But no, I only have plans for a 22" since there are a few of them that will run well on plain old 12VDC (no need for their wall plug transformer) :thinking:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:40 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:That would be pretty sweeeeeet!! :twisted:

But no, I only have plans for a 22" since there are a few of them that will run well on plain old 12VDC (no need for their wall plug transformer) :thinking:

Take a look at Best Buys house brand - Insignia. I have one and you can hook it directly into 12v. It only uses 1.6a in economy picture mode. Cheap if you catch it on sale.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Sweet I'll have to keep that in mind! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:36 pm

Was camping with the Chesapeake Bay Chapter TearJerkers this weekend and had a great time!! I got home around lunch and decided it was time to install the second 100W solar panel. Took a little longer than I had hoped, but it turned out just as planned. Definitely breaks up the plain white hatch! No worries about theft either. With all the fasteners and brackets and their orientation/position, you'd have to either remove the hatch first or cut the panel off with a saw.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Made some more progress on the stove. Still have some work to do on the lid, but the main part of the stove is pretty much finished. Forget if I mentioned it, but the white is Rustoleum High Temp, and the black is High Temp Ultra.

Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 pm

Looking good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:16 am

be careful driving down the road with that solar panel back there with the reflection going in other drivers eyes you might get stopped for it might need to cover it while driving
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:44 am

KCStudly wrote:Looking good. :thumbsup:

Thanks KC! :worship:

bc toys wrote:be careful driving down the road with that solar panel back there with the reflection going in other drivers eyes you might get stopped for it might need to cover it while driving

The glass has a slight texture to it, so it won't be half as reflective as the rear window of a minivan or SUV.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals