Compact family camper Build - Always something...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Compact family camper Build

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 pm

ryuandwings wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Quality build! You do some nice work!

Thank you. :thumbsup:

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Are you building from drawings or just winging it?

I don't have any "bought" plan, but did plan through my build. So to answer your question, I am building from drawings, but once it started I am winging this. :) I design buildings everyday, so design process was somewhat close to what I normally do. I had to shrink everything down to 5x10. :) I needed to learn teardrop specific items, like how to design hatch. :thinking:

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I noticed the profile template was printed and pieced together, so I'm assuming you've put in some computer time prior to building?

I work in building design and construction industry so access to the computer and large format plotter may be easier that most of you. (off course don't tell that to my boss! :R )
I did use computer to do my design, which is a collection of different teardrop designs in here to fit my needs, but I ended up using the free version of SketchUp the most. CAD I use at work is in a way too precise and accurate and not really good to do conceptual designs. To print out the profile, I did transferred the SketchUp design into CAD so that I can print to a scale.

I'm a designer for a small architecture office, so I hear ya! I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine. :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Ryu, Wonderful design on your teardrop trailer Sir! I'm enjoying your build very much. Thank you for sharing with us.

All the Best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby ryuandwings » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:58 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:I'm a designer for a small architecture office, so I hear ya! I won't tell your boss if you don't tell mine. :lol:

Wow, that's interesting. Subaru, architectural designer, teardrop camper... We have a lot in common. :shock:
If I think about it, with your unique designs, you have to be in some kind of design field.

DMcCam wrote:Hi Ryu, Wonderful design on your teardrop trailer Sir! I'm enjoying your build very much. Thank you for sharing with us.

All the Best,

Dave

Wow, thank you, Dave! Knowing what you have created, I'm honored that you are following my build.
You wouldn't believe how many times I go back to your thread when I get stuck. There are so many details I learned from your build.
Just like you provided for us, I will try to share as much as I can for the future teardroppers. :thumbsup:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 am

I was stuck with the tongue box build because of the lack of information on AC unit. :cry: I was thinking I really needed to get the actual unit before I can move on. (I really should) After googling more about the particular unit I was thinking about, I think I found what I needed.
First, I am thinking about using Frigidaire FRA054XT7 5,000 BTU unit.
The big reason I like this is that this comes with a remote so that the unit can be hidden behind of cabinet door. I just don't like the AC unit to be visible all the time.
The owner manual and many different sites had overall dimensions, but none indicated how far the unit sticks out once it is mounted on the wall. This is important because that determined where I need to locate the wall. I already have the size of tongue box determined, to clear trailer jack, so this AC unit need to work with what I have. I still don't have the exact dimensional confirmation, but I did found a side photo of this unit. Once I inserted the image into CAD, I was able to calculate the dimensions I needed. I also worked out how I needed to mount this unit and also decided to make it as "universal" as possible. Eventually, this unit will be discontinued and replaced with some other model. I may be able to find different unit with similar size, but may not. Hopefully, when I have to replace this unit, technology gets better and units are smaller than what we have today. :worship:
Anyway, this is the screen shot of my iPad showing the details of AC mount. It's not pretty, but got what I needed.
By the way, I keep all of build information in Evernote. This is a great app and I highly recommend this. :thumbsup:
Since I had the design worked out as I was doing this detail, build went very smoothly.
I glued up tongue box frame and dry fitting all of finishing wall panels with clamps.
This is view from inside. The ledge you see is where I will add a wall where AC will mounted.
I think this is going to work. I just hope the photo I found is correct... :worship:

I also received hurricane hinges. I ordered 5' for galley hatch and 4' for tongue box. They used the vinyl insert to stuff the tube, so I can see how that will look. I had a little damage in my 4' piece, but the replacement is on it's way.
I try to order stuff ahead of my build, but delivery is getting too far ahead of me. I need to hurry up and catch up to the parts I'm receiving. :thinking:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Compact family camper Build - Pics fixed

Postby ryuandwings » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:15 pm

I didn't like the way I was showing my photos, so I changed them.
I think they show better.

Let me know if they are not showing right. :D
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby ryuandwings » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:55 pm

I really don't have much of build to report this weekend. I completed tongue box frame except for the hatch. I will have to run wires an insulate before I can close up all the walls. :thumbsup:

One thing I did is to think about the build schedule. I know there is no such thing as "completion", and that is what I'm thinking about approaching this build. I will get it to the campable state and use it a few time to figure out how I need to "complete" the rest. :thinking:
I will first concentrate on getting the "shell" of the camper done. The galley drawers, cabin cabinet doors and other none essential items will be later. :thumbsup:

As for the schedule, I think it is a bit ambitious, but if I don't push myself, this will be pushed back. 8)
I have a freind visiting me around middle of July, and I would really like to show him want I got. I live in West Tennessee and his is coming to East Tennessee. So the camper needs to be one step before campable. I will call it "Travelable". That means exterior skins, trims are done and waterproofed. Bedding, drawers, cabinet doors, finished counter top may not be done.

By fall camping season, say September, I would like it to be campable.
I would use it a few time tis fall to know what need to do to "complete". I should have prenty time to work on it during winter months.

TRAVELABLE: First week of July 2014
CAMPABLE: Middle of September 2014

I have compiled list of things I need to do meet the deadline. It will be hard work and will be tough coordinating materials needed to get there. Here we go! :twisted:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Deadline dates set!

Postby jbyrd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:36 am

Wow your build and attention to detail is amazing! :applause:
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

Postby AlgoDan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 am

Wow that is an awesome build you have going on here, Well done and will be watching your progress. :thumbsup: :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby ryuandwings » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 am

jbyrd wrote:Wow your build and attention to detail is amazing! :applause:

Thank you very much. I enjoy designing part of the build, too. I tried to think about everything so that I would have less time redoing. :D (I know I won't get all, as long as I can keep it to minimum... :FNP )

AlgoDan wrote:Wow that is an awesome build you have going on here, Well done and will be watching your progress. :thumbsup: :beer:

Thank you very much. I'm only able to do this because of people like you built and shared the process.
Please follow my progress, it helps me motivate to keep going if I know someone is watching. :thumbsup: :beer:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Postby Rudyjr » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:07 pm

I just found this thread excellent job and nice workmanship!! Can't wait to see some updates.:applause:
Rudyjr
Teardrop Builder

Postby ryuandwings » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:26 am

Rudyjr wrote:I just found this thread excellent job and nice workmanship!! Can't wait to see some updates.:applause:

Thank you.
I am planning to post an update later today. Stay tuned. :thumbsup:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Under carriage coating don

Postby ryuandwings » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:47 pm

I was not able to work on my build much because of work, issue with kids, allergy season and tooth pain, but I think I have all of those under control and am back. 8)

One thing I was concentrating most was to waterproof the underside of my floor. I know I should have done it while I had the floor upside down. But my walls bypass the floor and extend a few inches below trailer frame, I wanted to apply waterproofing after floor and walls are attached so I can make the joints water tight. Another thing was that this winter was so cold, attaching anything with glue meant look for a warm days. One thing led to another, and worked on the things I was able to work. So when I got ready to work on under carriage, the body was heavy enough to needing to think about a way to lift it and hold it up.

Since I will be crawling under the camper to apply under carriage coating, I wanted to lift the camper 30" or so. The first thing I did was to create 4 sawhorses.

To lift the camper, I used combination of ratchet strap and floor jack. Off course the jack is one of those you turn the thread to raise or lower, so the speed of action is very limited. :cry:
Actually, slow speed help manage the lift better. I sure did not want to drop the camper. :thumbsup:
Camper is sitting on 2x4 cross member.

Once I have the camper supported, I pulled the trailer from below to make some space.
Before I can apply coatings, I needed to attached under floor storage box.

I debated what to use for the waterproofing, but settled on the Fence-Post paint from Tractor Supply. I was a little worried about this when I read the review there, but once I started, I knew this would work. This is inexpensive, fast drying, and really not that messy. I also caulked corners and joints with asphalt caulk.
Above photos are after one coat. I ended up doing three coats and still have about 1/3 of can left.

I also put window flashing tape on top side of trailer frame.
Since I have more left and this thing is so good, I put this tape at the outside corners of under floor storage box.

After waited for the paint to dry over night, I managed to lower the camper back onto the trailer. They are bolted together. :thumbsup: Although I really don't want to, but I have this designed so that camper can be removed from the trailer when I have to. I may decided to change, repair, or need the trailer for something. :)

The last thing I did was to apply last plywood on the exterior wall. These will be the last before aluminum sheets. :thumbsup:

Oh, I almost forgot, I worked a little on the under galley storage tube. This is 4" PVC tube that span full width of the trailer. I will add twist off hatch on both side. I will use this to store something long and skinny, like fishing rods or canopy.
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Updates

Postby ryuandwings » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:01 pm

I was able to make a little progress.

When I made my walls, I routed grooves for the ceiling plywood to slide in. The problem is that when I did it, I was planning to use 1/4" plywood. Since that, my plan changed and I ended up using 1/8" Baltic birch. 1/4" grooves made easy to slide Baltic birch into, but there are some gaps at the walls and ceiling.
It may be small enough that when I apply finishes, those gaps may become not noticeable. But the problem is, I know those are there. 8)
So I added blockings to hold ceiling panel tight against bottom side of wall groove.

Once I put thoses blockings, gaps look tight enough for me.
Image :thumbsup:

I also finish applying final 1/4" plywood to outside of exterior walls and got it all trimmed.

The last thing is that I started putting insulation board in the roof cavities. These are 1" foam board and I still need to add another 1/2" on top of this.
I was a little surprised how easy it was to cut. I should have it covered up in no time. :D
Off course I need to test my electrical wiring before I can completely cover it up.

I am progressing as I planned. I just hope my plan is correct... :worship:
ryuandwings
Teardrop Master

Re: Compact family camper Build - Updates!

Postby Rudyjr » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Looks fantastic! This is the style trailer I would love to build some day. Nice attention to detail, love the pictures. :beer:
Rudyjr
Teardrop Builder

Re: Compact family camper Build - Updates!

Postby jbyrd » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Coming along very nicely! I am very interested to see what you end up doing with the tongue box/ a/c compartment.
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals