The Annex - 5 1/2 wide X 10 long X 5 high

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Annex - 5 1/2 wide X 10 long X 5 high

Postby JohnSw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:19 pm

I mounted an aluminum box to house the battery, chocks, assorted blocking for leveling and a lug wrench.

I built a box to hold the battery which I vented. I also cut a drain hole in the aluminum box under the battery. I included a place to securely store propane tanks for the cook stove. The propane tanks are in a separate compartment that has large hole cut in the bottom to allow any leaking propane to escape. (Propane is heavier than air.)

Build Journal for The Annex at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59105
JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnSw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:21 pm

I wanted a small window in my door. I thought about just having a fixed window but really wanted it to open. Here is an overall of the rear of the camper.

A closer view of the window.... The windows is Plexiglas, piano hinge is stainless steel, the hinge screws are screwed into a 1/8 x 1/2 aluminum bar. The aluminum channels are 3/8 x 1/2. There are probably twice as many aluminum pop rivets as necessary. The latches are from a work project long ago. It seemed a shame to just throw them away when I might be able to find a use for them and, what do you know, 25 years later, I did. The seal is by Trim Lok. It's EPDM closed cell .62" wide x .38 high with a presure sensitive adhesive that I got from Zoro.com

The window in the open position.... Initially I was planning on some kind of lever with a roller to ride in the channels to open the window. That's the origin of the side channels. This was getting too complex and it occured to me that I could just push the window open and put a stick in it. I hinged the screen and made a fancy stick. I actually made two fancy sticks, a long one and a short one.

Inside of the door... I made a screen frame from 3/4 x 3/4 poplar and used the table saw to cut a groove for the spline I had leftover from replacing the sliding door screen.

I've had the camper on the road twice - both times in rainstorms. The window has not leaked.

I posted this in the "Teardrop Construction Tips and Techniques" section under the topic "Everyone Loves a Homemade Window" so to keep everything in one place, let's post questions or comments there.
JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnSw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:57 pm

As long as I'm doing windows, my side windows are windows salvaged from an RV. I did not get the inner trim ring so I mounted them with Aluminum screws I found on a $2 sale table at an RV dealer.
I think it's important to have at least one window that cranks out as opposed to a sliding wing. This allows the window to be open in the rain.

I used butyl tape under the window flange. I also ran a bead of clear caulk around the outer edge. I used Dap Alex Plus for doors and windows. There isn't a dab of silicone caulk on my trailer (or my house).
JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnSw » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:59 pm

To hide my rectangular wheel wells I screwed these trim pieces in place.

JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnSw » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:19 pm

I chose to use muffin fans for ventilation. They are relatively cheap and don't require a roof vent. I built the camper in a single car garage so total height was a big concern. Not knowing how much ventilation the fans would yield pushed me to use three 120mm fans.

JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Postby JohnSw » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Our first outing was with the North Carolina Tearjerkers for the January 2016 Shiveree and we found even one fan (or 2 at half speed) was a lot of air in January so I added the 7805 voltage regulator to the circuit. The 7805 takes a 12 VDC input and puts out 5 VDC. I'm not an electrical engineer but I what I understood was that you should not have the 12V feedback to the output of the 7805 so I added a diode. If I misunderstood, the diode won't cause any harm other than dropping the voltage by an additional volt or less. I also ignored the capcitors in the example circuit because I'm only powering a fan and voltage variations are not a problem. Now I can run one fan at 5 V or 12V and if that is not enough I can run two additional fans at 6V or 12V. I could be up all night trying to figure out the optimum combination but at least I'll have enough ventalation.
(Click to enlarge)
JohnSw
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Build Journals