noseoil wrote:Glad I didn't rush into this as there are too many good ideas out there to miss by hurrying. Thanks for all the great ideas & pictures people!
The trailer balance spreadsheet was my constant companion for two+ years. Day in, day out, I theoretically moved items around until I found a spot that seemed best. Until I changed my plans and added or subtracted an item entirely. When I finally reached the "finished" stage (ha,ha, mine is never "finished"), I found that the theoretical (with estimated weights of components) balance was within a few lbs of actuality. Mine was near zero tongue weight without camping gear loaded, as guesstimated, but I knew how much weight and where to add it to get the balance I had in mind. From the start, I knew I had to have cargo in the front cabin (I have e-track on the front wall, and multiple tie-down points for that reason), as a counterweight for the large area (45% of cabin length) behind the wheels. This excessive deviation from the standard 35%-40% rear overhang was due to the size of storage area my onboard generator and rear/inside-mounted A/C needed (the generator was the determinator). The forward position of the wheels also limited the available space for the doors. To get the size and shape of doors I wanted, in the limited space allotted, and still have the profile I wanted ( a design feature from the start), I saw that the standard way to sit-and-pivot to enter or exit the cabin was not needed...just crawl in and step out...no pivoting was necessary. It all works as planned, with modifications being ongoing to make it more user-friendly. Instead of loading lots of cargo in the cabin, to gain balance, then having to unload all at camp, or vice-versa to de-camp, I re-engineered the balance by using a larger/heavier tonguebox, and removed some cargo from the trailer entirely. In all steps, I depend on the trailer balance spreadsheet!noseoil wrote:...About balance & the door... With the axle location where it is now, I ran the spreadsheet for tongue weight & balance & was surprised to find that with the battery, tool box, propane & air conditioner located up front, it was too heavy on the tongue. I'm having to re-think the tool box & front battery position, and may just have to move the battery to the rear in the galley. I want the AC & propane up front, but the tool box is 16 gauge steel & weighs about 50# empty, best guess. Add a group 27 battery, wiring etc. and a "few" tools & odds & ends and it's getting a bit porky in the nose. Still thinking about this one, but I may decide to do a mock-up with weights and see where I end up before the actual building....The door location will be as far aft as possible, very close to the fender. It will layout around the mattress height and have curved corners. This should allow me to pivot from a sleeping position and scoot out to answer the call of the wild....
Return to Build Journals
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests