Tucson tortoise: Edit for photos

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tucson tortoise

Postby luscombe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Yes, Tim, that is the weld that jumped out at me. I think of all of that extra weight that you will be hauling around. I guess it is the aircraft work that always has me rethinking how to save weight.
luscombe
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:23 pm

I don't miss those days at all.

"...this interior takes 4,000 hours. We need it done in four weeks, so 1000 hours a week & there's a 4 man crew. Each of you will be working 250 hours per week for the next..."
Last edited by noseoil on Tue May 05, 2015 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun May 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Worked on the sound bar installation. It will hang under the edge of the footboard, just below the TV opening in the center of the cabinet. This picture was taken upside down & rotated, if something seems strange to you (no, your meds are still fine)...

Man, all this little stuff seems like it's taking me forever. I'm so rusty at woodworking, but it feels good to be cutting wood again instead of sitting at the computer all day. Still a long way to go and summer is getting here soon, so I have a lot left to build (the sub-assemblies) before final assembly starts. I want to get as much done on the bench as possible. Not looking forward to the heat again this year. Already been 95 this week, so 100's are just around the corner now.
Last edited by noseoil on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Looking good there. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby low-n-slow » Tue May 05, 2015 12:51 am

Tim, I am in the beginning stages of my build. I just recently finished welding up my frame when I saw your build. I live in Tucson as well and since I found your journal, have recently discovered Industrial Metal Supply. All I can say is I went to the wrong place to get my steel! I really like your use of the copper for your light switches and may do something similar. 8) I will be following your build for some ideas as well.

The one question that I have for you thought is were are you getting your plywood? That is the thing, I do not know where to get some of the supplies I need. I have been to Home Depot and Lowe's, but not finding the cabinet quality wood that everyone seems to be able to find. :question:

Eventually I will get around to starting my build journal, maybe once I get back from my summer vacation when I hope to devote some more quality time on my build. :twisted:
Fly, Ride, Camp...

Jason
low-n-slow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 am

Try looking at Hood Distribution here in Tucson. Ask for Derek at the sales counter & tell him I said hello and sent you. You can get some stuff at Home Delay, but the good stuff for cabinets & finish-grade materials is better at Hood. They also have 4/4 poplar for framing. Here's their address & phone.

501 South Toole Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85701
792-9966

For hardware use Clyde Hardware
331 S. Olsen
622-6431

Interested in seeing what you're doing. Drop me a PM sometime and we can get together to talk at some point. Good luck on your build!

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby low-n-slow » Fri May 08, 2015 4:13 am

Thanks,
I will have to check them out for sure. I may be able to sneak down there later today. I am going to wait to do much more for now, as I am saving some money for my upcoming vacation :D
Fly, Ride, Camp...

Jason
low-n-slow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Sat May 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Decided to add another outlet in the galley today. The left one will be for shore power when it's available (PD4045), the right one will be for the inverter when it's running. Decided on a 1000 watt inverter with 2000 watt momentary peak. In a pinch it would run the AC for a short time (450 watts), but the batteries won't be up to the task for long. Here's the layout now with everything in place but not wired up yet, just another mock-up to make sure things will go together properly when it's time.

The back side.

Doing some stain today for the finish. I want to have it all pre-finished prior to assembly. Figure it's easier than trying to work in an enclosed space...
Last edited by noseoil on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sat May 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Making a couple of folding shelves for outside the galley. Used some 1/2" baltic birch for the shelf & folding brackets, with piano hinge & aluminum wall brackets to fasten through the skin & into the panel frame, once the aluminum goes on. Still need to do some edge-banding on the shelves & pick something to laminate with for a finish, but they're roughed in now & set in place to make sure it all fits together properly. Might use some kind of formica, but could also use aluminum, stainless steel, or just a stain & urethane finish to match the interior. Probably just go with whatever I decide in the galley for a counter top surface. Not time to decide quite yet, still plenty of time.

Here's how the bracket is attached, the hole below the shelf is for the snoot on the battery box.

I need to add another 3/4" block for the rear bracket support, before I do the skin, insulation & wiring. Here's a side view of the passenger side, just for fun. Still doing the mock-up stuff but enjoying the progress.

Detail shot of the extrusion fastened in place, with just a couple of screws temporarily to check things.

Figured I would check the fit on the headboard since I had two panels in place. So far so good. Still need a coat of stain & some urethane on the panels & face frame, but it should work well enough once I start the final assembly.
Last edited by noseoil on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Looking good mate I'm thinking of adding an outlet for an inverter myself now
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun May 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Need to get some more wood, so I took a break & worked on the stove installation today. I got a Camp Chef 2 burner stove top with the bottom oven. Took off the 2 side carry handles & rubber feet it sits on, since they're just a waste of space. I don't want to run the oven with it sitting in the cabinet base, so it's being mounted on full extension drawer guides. I don't mind cooking on the stove (set in the counter), but I'm concerned about heat from the oven in a confined area, so it needs to track out for pizza, bread, sticky buns or cookies to vent properly.

Next made a couple of aluminum angles. These took a bit of work & thinking. I decided to drill out for the existing round-head screws which attach the stove bottom to the sides & avoid using them for a mount since they're so small. Instead I used #8-32 flat head machine screws to fasten up from the bottom and attach the aluminum angle to the stove. There are 4 screws on each angle from the bottom, drilled & tapped holding the angle in place, along with some blue lock-tite since it's just tapped into sheet metal. With the weight of the stove pushing down into the angles, it should work fine and be strong enough.

Here's the angle looking at the lower right corner, where it fits against the stove. The aluminum is a bit heavier than necessary, but I'm using up what I have as I go.

The inner drawer guide is fastened through the aluminum angle & into the stainless steel sheet metal with 7 round head #8-32 machine screws & blue lock-tite per side. Hopefully that's enough to hold the stove in place (total of 14 screws in shear when we're driving down the road or about 2.5# per #8 screw into the sides, 35# stove). Biggest concern is on bumpy roads and lots of rocks & ruts. Will have to see how it holds up over time, but so far so good. It works just fine sitting on the bench. These are 100# guides, since that's all I had access to from a local supplier. I guess I could always make some wood or aluminum shims to set under the stove, to keep it from working loose and hopping up & down from the bumps. Will have to think about that one a bit. (After edit: The stove is still as good as new after 20,000 miles of towing)

Finally, here's the right side guide assembled & attached to the stove. It slides very easily, so I'm happy with the way it's going. The stove is 12" deep from front to back, so it will have a cut-out in the counter to nest in and stow while travelling.

I'll do the same type of thing for the ice chest, only it will be a regular drawer body made from 1/2" baltic birch. It sits under the counter (no cut-out), so I have enough room to prepare meals & work. Once I have both things made & working, I'll think about the small, narrow center section which goes from the floor to the counter & acts as a partition between the stove & cooler to mount the guides. I don't want to do a layout & rely on a tape measure, rather have the assemblies made first, then build the center pull-out section to fit (safer that way). The center drawer will be pretty narrow, but it will hold something, so no wasted space.

Back to work tomorrow, ugh!
Last edited by noseoil on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby low-n-slow » Mon May 18, 2015 2:04 pm

That stove looks great! I like the way your planning everything out so well too. I am still thinking of how I should do my galley. I'm a horrible artist and even slower at computer drawings. I am enjoying watching your build though. :beer:

Jason
Fly, Ride, Camp...

Jason
low-n-slow
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Sat May 23, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks! Just keep after it & don't worry about how it gets done at this point.

I have a long weekend this time (three days), so I'm doing a few more things. Set the walls & fastened the galley upper to the back (bulkhead) so I can layout the base setup for the stove & cooler. Here's a shot with the cooler in place & the battery box where it will sit. I'm building the center section box, which will act as a support for the drawer guides and have a small drawer to carry a few things.

Will have to re-rout the wiring into the back panel, because the drawer body is in the way. No biggie at this point, just another hole to drill & a bung to install. I'll run the wires into the center section of the power panel below the counter, instead of the right side of the bulkhead. Still need the electrical chase where it is to have shore power come into the trailer and feed the PD4045.

Also set the headboard to work on the AC opening if there's enough time with the other stuff I'm doing. Here's a shot from outside looking in through the headboard. Nice to see things are fitting OK so far. Have a few little things to fix, but nothing major or horrible to deal with for now.

Before I forget, remember Memorial Day and thanks to all of our vets out there, who have sacrificed so we can enjoy our lives..... It was pointed out to me that for many veterans it isn't a very happy day, so I've changed my last sentence to reflect this. Grateful to my son for his service (he just finished two years as a drill sergeant & is now airborne assault) and my dad who was a WWII veteran serving in Europe.
Last edited by noseoil on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Sun May 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Taking a break, so shot a couple more pictures of work from today. Here's the galley with the counter, center box/support & cooler drawer roughed in. Made a couple of 1/2" spacers which will fasten into the sides & provide a lip & corner for the hatch gasket.

Finally figured out the air conditioning unit & how I'm going to install it. Extended the center shelf it sits on with another box. It will ride in the "back" position when moving (slid back & sticking out of the headboard a few inches), then push forward (& out) when sleeping & needing cooler air. Not 100% built, but the concept should work.
Last edited by noseoil on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri May 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Celebrating the weekend! Needed to inlay an aluminum edge to the galley end of the deck. This is 1" X 1" X 1/16" angle I'm using to reinforce the edge of the deck from bumps & dings. I'll use urethane to seal the raw wood, then use bedding adhesive & screws to set it in place. Needed to do something on the list of stuff, just to celebrate Friday & two days off work. Here's how it works!

Here's the deck edge & angle before the cut is started.

Router setup for the cuts.

The cut.

The fit.

This should protect the wood & give a nice durable edge for years to come. Looking forward to Saturday, but tomorrow it will be 100 again finally for the first time this year. Ah well, it's been a nice, long, cool spring so far, Sunday will be 103-104. Happy weekend everyone!
Last edited by noseoil on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals