Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Nice.

Did you do anything special to make sure the brake backing brackets were all squared up and in the right place? Many people find this to be daunting, and you made it look easy. Perhaps others could benefit from a bit more detail about this stage, or was it just as easy as it seems?

Any concern about heat from welding getting to the rubber "spring" bond? The trailing arms look beefy enough to dissipate the heat, but wrapping the axle housing in this area with a wet towel would easily provide added insurance.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

Postby Sheddie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 am

KCStudly wrote:Nice.

Did you do anything special to make sure the brake backing brackets were all squared up and in the right place? Many people find this to be daunting, and you made it look easy. Perhaps others could benefit from a bit more detail about this stage, or was it just as easy as it seems?

Hi KC,
it was a fairly straight forward job. As with anything like this, don't rush it. :thinking: think about it thoroughly :thinking: look at all the options :roll: :thinking: think again.
I assembled all the components on to the stub axle so that I could accurately measure where the mount for the backing plate would be positioned.
The hole in the middle of the mounting bracket was a little larger than I had hoped it might be, so I made some shims to hold it in place while I tack welded it. Once I was happy that all was in the right place and squared up I removed the shims and fully welded it. The heat transfer wasn't a problem, but as you say a wet towel will help there.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals