Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Sleepin Around, New Zealand. The Build

Postby Sheddie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:34 am

noseoil wrote:Really enjoying this build & your approach.

Hi Tim.
Thanks for looking in, and replying.
Re-the approach. As we had never seen one of these things in the flesh before starting, (very rare in New Zealand) and it was a very spur of the moment decision to acquire one, within a tight time frame, we had no option but to build our own. A friend had given us a couple of links to look at, one was "hall of fame", the other was "luxury tent". I didn't go any further on the site looking at build journals, I just looked at a few photos and took it from there. Probably just as well that I didn't read too much, 1. I didn't have the time, and 2. it probably would have scared me off. Plans were all in the head, thinking on the run, design as you go. Work under pressure to a time frame, we have done a few car restorations the same way. Methods and materials were all "suck it and see". But the way it has come together, I wouldn't change a thing, if I did it again.
noseoil wrote: I'm curious about the headliner material, the 3mm Unifoam is a plastic sheet, but where did you find it? Is it used in signs or some other application in business?

We got this locally from a place called "Arthurs Emporium". They are one of those places that buy up bankrupt stock, ends of lines, and all sorts of stuff, from wrenches and wheel bearings to needles and thread. Husbands and wives can get lost there for hours. I believe that it is used in the printing industry for signs. It is possibly obsolete or been renamed, cant seem to find it on Mulford web site. I don't know if they are in USA, but there must be a manufacturer there doing a similar product.
Cheers for now Frank
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:34 am

I asked about it yesterday online and received a nice reply about it not being available from a vendor in the states (Au). I really like the look, clean, simple, light and should last forever. Also, looks like it would be very easy to keep clean. They were kind enough to steer me in the direction of a company here in Arizona which sells the same type of material, so I'm going to look into it to see what I find.

Enjoying the build and I envy you having had enough room to build in your "house" so everything's handy. That would make it easy to continue working where you left off. We live in a small adobe (mud) house which is about 90 square meters, so space for a build just isn't available. tim
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 am

Day 41: 28 August 2012.
We have finished fitting the inner liner and the rest of the roof beams. Had a bit of a job getting the rear panel in to the H section joiner strip, but got it in there in the with a nice snug fit. :D
Have framed and cut the hole for the roof vent and started sorting 12v wiring for fan and lights.
Also been sorting locks for the hatch and fitted an extra couple of panels in it to attach tail lights and number plate. For catches we went into the building supplies shop and got household door catches. They had a locking garage door latch handle on the clearance table that was ideal. I made up some connecting wires for the catches out of some stainless steel fishing trace.
I am still in the planning stages with the under bench layout in the galley, and this is eating up a lot of time. :thinking:
Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

Day 45: 1st Sept 2012.
The packers have now all been glued in around the edge of the walls, between the roof beams.
I have lifted the body up from the frame and set it on blocks, so that I could clamp the axle to the frame so that I could sit it down and take the weight on the wheels.
Here I have loaded concrete blocks on to the "A" frame to replicate the weight of the battery and tongue box. We also loaded the galley area with cooler, cooker, etc. etc. etc. then put the bathroom scales under the front of the frame to check the weight on the tow ball. Then we were able to move the axle back and forward to get the weight on the ball to what we wanted it to be.
Then we were able to lift the body off the frame to weld on the axle mountings, make the frame for the battery box and tongue box and mounts for the mud guards, and then paint it all.
Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby noseoil » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:14 am

Looking good Frank. Curious about the setback for the axle & your weight mock-up. As a function of the overall length, what % are you with the axle for the tongue weight you wanted? Is it about 39% as is a "normal" build, or is it different? Oh, also, what tongue weight did you decide to use for the loading? I like the way the build is progressing & the box is sitting up on blocks as things are worked out. The basic shape does lend itself to structural strength, doesn't it?

I'm hoping my 3/4" (19mm) skeletonized panels with just 1 1/2" wide webs (38mm) will be plenty strong for the sides, especially once the 1/8" ply skins are glued into place both inside & out. I'm just going to leave enough material to fasten the doors, cabinets, lights, etc. in place, and have most of the walls be foam insulation. Should be light & strong. Just need enough material for fasteners & hard points for the actual screws to bite & not crush when torqued down in place.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 am

Hi Tim.
Thanks for the reply.
noseoil wrote:Looking good Frank. Curious about the setback for the axle & your weight mock-up. As a function of the overall length, what % are you with the axle for the tongue weight you wanted? Is it about 39% as is a "normal" build, or is it different? Oh, also, what tongue weight did you decide to use for the loading? .

Axle position was not set in relation to overall length, rather it was done based on the relative weights and their distances ahead and behind the axle.
As far as "normal" build is concerned, what is "normal" when it comes to teardrops? :crazy:
As I mentioned in earlier posts we had not had anything to do with teardrops before starting this build, and had only looked at photos for a basic idea on layout styles. Otherwise it was just basic geometry and common sense.
We had positioned the doors for ease of access for rolling in and out of bed, and wanted the wheels and guards where they would not interfere with the doors. We could see that the weight distribution was going to be toward the back and had roughly set the axle to where we guessed the balance point might be. I chocked the body about 50 mm above the frame so that I could get clamps in to hold the axle in place then sat it down to take the weight on the wheels and thereby establish the balance point. The general rule of thumb is to have the hitch weight at 10% of the total weight of the trailer. I had been weighing things as the build progressed and had an estimate of 500 to 600kg finished weight, including camping gear etc. This put the goal weight on the coupling at between 50 & 60kg. The concrete blocks on the front were to simulate the battery and tongue box. The alloy tongue box contents would be kept to a minimum, ie. small gas bottle, ground sheet for the gazebo, ropes, pegs, type pump, shore power lead, and a few other odds and sods. We loaded the galley with about the weight we would be likely to have in there. With the scales under the front of the coupling, I was able to carefully move the axle back or forward until it gave us the weight we wanted on the scales. Very small adjustments to the axle make a big difference at the hitch, as it is the very furthest point forward. Then we could mark the position and lift the body off the frame to weld the axle in to place.
For your situation, towing with a ute, you can handle a bit more weight on the hitch,but as I was going to be towing with my old Capri, I had to get it right. And as it turned out, it is spot on and tows like a dream. :beer:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:17 am

Day 53: 9 Sept 2012,
One month to go. We are due to leave on the 10th October.

The frame is completed. The coupling is mounted, I have made the frame for the battery and tongue boxes. The axle is attached, as are the mountings for the guards (fenders). It has all been painted, and is now ready for the body to be finally attached.
DSC02890.JPG
Body back on frame and bolted down.
DSC02890.JPG (128.48 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:30 am

Fantastic build!

Besides being a beautiful design, it is readily apparent that you have crazy metal and woodworking skills and that you did a lot of homework before starting.

Thank you for posting your construction progress and thoughts.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Sheddie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:35 am

aggie79 wrote:Fantastic build!

Besides being a beautiful design, it is readily apparent that you have crazy metal and woodworking skills and that you did a lot of homework before starting.
Thank you for posting your construction progress and thoughts.

Hi Aggie79,
Thanks for your comments.
As far as doing a lot of homework, our first thoughts about a teardrop were on the 1st July. For the first couple of weeks we were looking for anything available in NZ, and then looked into importing a kit set or complete TD from Australia or USA. With time getting by, we decided that the only option was to build our own from scratch. 19th July building started, with the aim to have it ready to use by 9th Oct.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:56 pm

Day 57: 13 Sept 2012. Have to be done in 4 weeks. :shock: Too much left to do, :roll: and I have to go to work as well!!! :sweaty:

Tongue box and battery box fitted and bolted down with a pad lock over the battery box. They will have to come off again though, so we can skin the roof. We didn't go too big with the tongue box, so that we weren't tempted to load too much weight up front.
We found these at Arthurs Emporium. Really easy way to make drawers. These are the sides and roller runners, you just attach what ever size board you want for the bottom and back, make up a nice front, mount the runners and it's done. And best part, only $5 a set. :banana:
2014-09-13 18.02.58 (640x480).jpg
2014-09-13 18.02.58 (640x480).jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 3037 times
Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Day 58: 14 Sept. 2012
Took the day off work and working on the TD, and headed down to Auckland, a couple of hours south of us. The annual Motorhome and Caravan Show was on, and we wanted to have a look around at what may be available for us to use for an awning over the galley and side doors. Also to look at any other ideas that may be useful for us. Wasn't a lot of use to us as the camping industry in NZ seem to cater more to the tenters, or to the high end motorhome and caravan brigade which is generally $> $> $> .
The nearest we saw to our line of camping were trailer tents (also big $> ), and the TD in the photo below. Called a "K-Pod" this is one of the few commercial attempts at a TD in NZ. We had looked at them on line before we started building, and were very tempted to drive to Tauranga to have a look. But then when we studied the spec sheet we decided it was a bit on the small side. Now seeing it in the flesh it is even smaller than we thought. With the bed less than 1800 (6ft) long and under 1200 (4ft) wide there was no way we could sleep in that. That is not the door on the side (we drive on the left so the door is on the other side), it is a slide out. Pulls out about a foot, might stop you banging an elbow.
From that things went to the extreme, with this humungeous Western Star with sleeper cab and fifth wheel camper, complete with garaging in the back for their Smart Car. More $> $> $>
We left the show empty handed :( and went looking around Auckland at some of the outlets selling folding gazebos. We ended up ordering a 3m x3m gazebo with side panels. Very solidly made one with aluminium frame and good waterproof material, in bright red to match the outside cladding we had chosen for the TD. :D
Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:48 pm

I've always thought that if I had the money to buy one of those monster RVs, that I'd spend said money at a 5 star hotel.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Transit80 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Looking good Frank, 9th of Oct??? do you think you will do it?. Ive got a van full of those drawer boxes, postage might have been a problem though.:lol: :lol: .

Chris
WED BERRUM EXUM TAE
Transit80
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sheddie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:34 am

rebapuck wrote:I've always thought that if I had the money to buy one of those monster RVs, that I'd spend said money at a 5 star hotel.

You could be right. But then, there is nothing like taking your 5 star hotel where ever you like.
Transit80 wrote:Looking good Frank, 9th of Oct??? do you think you will do it?. Ive got a van full of those drawer boxes, postage might have been a problem though.:lol: :lol: .

Chris

I think we will make it :twisted: As far as the drawers go, the postage would well out weigh the drawer cost, as that $5 equals about 2.50 of your pounds. :D
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 am

Day 59: 15 Sept. 2012
Side panels have been sanded and the insulation has been glued in. Only problem there is that the ply is 19mm and the insulation is 20mm. :thinking: How can we trim back the poly so that it wont hold the exterior cladding away from the ply. After trying a couple of other methods we decided a hot wire was the best method. I got a piece of wood and put 4 screws in the ends. 2 to secure a piece of s/s fishing trace and the other two to hold the wire away from the wood. I used a couple of slotted screws so the wire could sit through the sots, the screws having a slightly raised head. I connected a set of light weight car jumper leads to each end of the wire and the other end of the leads to a battery charger. By sliding the screw heads along the ply of the side walls, the hot wire sliced through the poly like a hot knife through butter, trimming wafer thin pieces of poly and leaving a nice smooth surface. 8)
:eyebrows:
:scratchthinking: As you can see below the galley is still a long way from done. Dale is busy here varnishing the walls.
Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals