Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Foldable foamie transformer with amenities

Postby OP827 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:08 am

And this is how my plywood but joints look like, this one is not perfect, a little glue void there, but it is still holding very strong. I did 1/4" groves both ends and inserted 1/4" baltic birch strip, all buttered with cab-o-sil thickened epoxy.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:12 am

That will do nicely. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:11 pm

I think I will be able to do epoxy during winter, it worked for this small joint. It was -5oC outside and my garage needed a heater to be in epoxy temperature range. Using a 10 inch strip cut from 6mil vapor barrier, MDF strip, 30 drywal screws, 5 oz epoxy, a cup of cabosil produced a nice clean and strong joint. I had a small air heater blower under the plywood set to a mild temperature overnight and it is snowing this morning. Plywood absorbs epoxy around the glue-up and becomes a composite. Nice looking mirror like surface of the joint, very little sanding will be needed. I'll coat the complete plywood floor with epoxy eventually when I am done with all wall and furniture panels. It will all come together, one day.. 8) It is a jorney for me, not a race. I want to do it on my own (usually slow) pace, and do it right..... :roll: I know I am dreaming.. :lol: nothing is perfect.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Obviously I got side tracked for the last two days. While indeciding about bending plywood and foam sandwich and how to best do it, I decided to build outfit saw horses of specific height that will match my table saw and will be also foldable, it is getting tight with space. Cost in materials to built them was 0.00$ as all needed materials were re-used and repurposed whatever old stuff I had in my garage and backyard, some old demolished deck 2x6s, some small pieces of plywood, 1/2" dowels, hd hinges, aircraft cable and screws. Came up with the design based on what I browsed on web, but it is not a copy of anyones design, just similar ideas combined into something usable. They are very sturdy and still not heavy, much better than anything thin metal or plastic stuff we buy in big box stores. It was nice to hand plane old deck spruce board to its original texture and get the warp out at the same time. When I put some plywood or OSB on them, the height matches my table saw table nicely, so I can now handle big sheets or long board with comfort and safety. :D 8)
OP827
Donating Member

aerocamp? what should be the name of this thing?

Postby OP827 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:32 pm

Back after a long break, spent many hours thinking of design and then continued to building walls. Since i have no big table and space is limited in two car garage, had to use the trailer plywood floor as gluing and clamping surface. it worked well. most of the lower part not folding walls are glued up, kitchen cabinet face frame and some cabinet walls are cut and ready for glueup. Pictures are below. Home made dust collection system had to be built too. my project needs a name.. shape is streamlined when in transport position based on discussions on this forum. small model mockup picture is in my album.

Anyone knows how to change the name of the whole build thread with a new name? :roll:

OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 pm

today I've returned to frame works to address entry step as my folding design requires it to be permanent part of entry door. I am re-using original coleman trailer step, i had to cut it to fit for permanent place and need to add some more sheet metal on the sides to seal the compartment as it will be part of trailer interior space. I think it is going to work good and it could be the easiest and light weight solution, the sheet metal is light gauge and after my cutting the reinforcement happened to be just in a right place under the step area :thumbsup: I will then put carpet on sides and maybe rubber on the step.

The big question is should it be permanently welded or should it be bolted/screwed?? :? :roll:
in case it is damaged or bent, it will be easier to fix when it is bolted/screwed... any ideas ? :worship:

OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:55 pm

And this is the status of my build today: kitchen and sink island is almost there, all side wall sections are glued up in the back and stacked. After step is done I'll be doing dry fit to put the side walls on the plywood floor, do not know when yet.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:23 am

Nice work.

On the step, it's hard to say w/o being there, but in general welding will be lighter, stronger and less fabrication to execute; whereas bolting is easier to disassemble.

My guess is that the step will likely not see enough harm to require removal (?) and if it were to take a bump or two, a welded assembly is likely to stand up better than a bolted one.

I guess you will have to weigh whether the bolted assembly improves the serviceability of the installation enough to warrant the extra effort, against your ability to repair a welded situation. My thoughts are that you can build it in the first place, so no matter what, you should be able to fix it if something gets damaged. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks for your comments, KC. it is good to have another opinion on things.
You are right, I'll be able to fix it if I can build it. MIG weld is an easier and lighter option. So I'll go with the welds and will enforce it with a 1" square tube angled in front of the step so if it hits anything, the step will have a better chance to deflect and jump over whatever it is, like a curb for example. The trailer suppose to be light enough, I can even maybe do some calc for the forces :thinking:, well.. not really, I'd rather stick to the well-known approach of "looks about right" :FNP

Cheers :beer:

Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Cutting pieces to fit and welding the entry step today.

OP827
Donating Member

Re: aerocamp? what should be the name of this thing?

Postby wagondude » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 pm

OP827 wrote:Anyone knows how to change the name of the whole build thread with a new name? :roll:

Go back and edit the original post title to make it change for the whole thread.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:02 am

Wagondude is right.

To clarify, it will change it for the first post; where the thread shows up in the index and "view your posts" list; and will become the default for new posts (that can still be overwritten individually, I think); but it does not change any other existing post. Those would have to be edited by the OP'er.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks for the thread title tips, Wagondude and KC. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:43 pm

Fitting the step out of old step and pieces was ... :? ..., but I am done now. Next is to finish the welding, then brushing, priming and painting.

Question: should I be concerned with welding the step to the main frame to avoid distortion? How best do it, any advise? There is a length of welding I need to do on the frame to fix back of the step to the main frame.

And this is the weld location that mentioned in the question above. The main frame beam section is 3"Hx1.5"Wx0.1"WT approximately. The sketch below shows where the weld is in relation to the frame beam.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:10 pm

An option to a full length weld would be to stitch weld it, say 1 inch long beads every 3 or 4 inches, then you could use paintable seam sealer on it to seal it up.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals