Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Lifting roof foamie XPStream - Almost Finished!

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:57 am

For filler I used microballoons with fumica in epoxy, then I used auto body polyester filler all over. Need to be careful to make sure that foam is fully covered in epoxy fiberglass with no holes or you'll have large holes eaten out by polyester filler in the foam under. I used automotive two part urethane high built primer, paint and clear coat. Note that body work is a lot of work if you never done that before. And automotive coating is not cheap.
Last edited by OP827 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby leblanda » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:34 pm

I got it!

thanks for all the info.

Dan
leblanda
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:39 pm

You are welcome, Dan. I'm interested to follow your build progress, so drop me a link. Thanks,
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby hossesdad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Oleg, I’m going to come back and savour every post and photo on your build like a fine wine. :applause:

It’s elegant as well as soundly engineered. Top marks
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Thank you!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 pm

OP827 wrote:Posted a short video on youtube showing how the lifting roof works

HOLY CRAP! :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Thanks very much, Tony! :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Lifting roof XPStream - Almost Finished!

Postby jgizzi » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 am

Hi Oleg,

As others have already stated, this is a very impressive build that you have accomplished. This is just awesome!

I have tried to go through the build thread and find out some details around your lifting mechanism but have been unable to find them in the thread. Any change that you could point me to a section that shows how you accomplish the roof lift mechanically? I would love to put something like this together but the lifting has me stymied at the moment.

Any help on parts purchase for that mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and again, very impressive!

Jim
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:52 am

Jim, thanks for the compliments on the build.
I ended up re-using central lifting screw from a donor tent trailer. I started with electric actuator and it worked, but I wanted to reduce the risk of failure and switched to mechanical only part for this single point vulnerability component. I do not have photos of the internals of the lifting mechanism and cable system, but I hope it will be clear enough from description below. The central lead screw pulls the pulley to double the speed of cable pull towards all four corner cables. I ran all cables inside the cabin along the walls to protect them from elements and then hidden them in plywood trays so there is nothing that can get there and jam. Each cable has a turn buckle for fine adjustments. Routing of cables really is not important as long as they position the lifting roof properly. I used sliding door metal pulleys and turn buckles from big box store to run all the cables and then custom-made brackets to fix the pulleys to trailer floor or walls. I answered similar question in the YouTube video, link in my signature below. The idea of the lifting mechanism is old, there are some links in the video comments to give you the ideas. You will have to size the cable to match your loads and then size the pulleys to make the aircraft cable last longer as it requires a minimal bending radius for certain amount of bending cycles, Google it. Let me know if you have further questions.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby jgizzi » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:17 am

Ahhh, I see the design now in the comments. I need to get better at looking at the comments after watching a video I guess ;-) I've watched the video but didn't read through the comments, thanks for that.

Jim
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaddyJeep » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:51 am

I watched you video... That thing lifts fast. Nicely done.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:51 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:I watched you video... That thing lifts fast. Nicely done.
- Thanks DaddyJeep! The reliability of the lifting mechanism is also important.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby iconicflux » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Did I read somewhere that your initial linear actuator was centrally located?

I've been considering putting them on either end with an emergency failsafe for if they stop working. Most of them mount with a pin of some type.

I do really like what you've done with the mechanical lift on this. Do you have the cables wrapping around a central tube/hub or are they direct pull?

Thanks!

OP827 wrote:Jim, thanks for the compliments on the build.
I ended up re-using central lifting screw from a donor tent trailer. I started with electric actuator and it worked, but I wanted to reduce the risk of failure and switched to mechanical only part for this single point vulnerability component. I do not have photos of the internals of the lifting mechanism and cable system, but I hope it will be clear enough from description below. The central lead screw pulls the pulley to double the speed of cable pull towards all four corner cables. I ran all cables inside the cabin along the walls to protect them from elements and then hidden them in plywood trays so there is nothing that can get there and jam. Each cable has a turn buckle for fine adjustments. Routing of cables really is not important as long as they position the lifting roof properly. I used sliding door metal pulleys and turn buckles from big box store to run all the cables and then custom-made brackets to fix the pulleys to trailer floor or walls. I answered similar question in the YouTube video, link in my signature below. The idea of the lifting mechanism is old, there are some links in the video comments to give you the ideas. You will have to size the cable to match your loads and then size the pulleys to make the aircraft cable last longer as it requires a minimal bending radius for certain amount of bending cycles, Google it. Let me know if you have further questions.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:36 pm

I have a centrally located ball screw that directly pulls all four cables in each corner.
Initially I had central actuator which then was changed to a ball screw. Some trailers have actuators in each corner, but that introduces more components that may fail in a most inappropriate time.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby iconicflux » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:28 am

Do you have anywhere in your coments that you describe the door? It somehow snaps together to make one piece from what is initially a two piece door, right?

I think im going to have to do this with mine in order to have a 72" tall door.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals