BeST One - An offroad teardrop build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

BeST One - An offroad teardrop build

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm

According to my wife I started this project years ago and am likely to die before I ever finish. According to the save dates on my first sketchup files though I started this project in September 2014. According to my wallet, I started it sometime around December 2014. However, given that I mostly only work weekends a few hours at a time, when it's not freezing cold outside, and when I'm not running to Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, HD, Lowe's, the welding supply store, etc to get that thing I forgot to get during the week...I started a couple days ago. Couple more "days" and I ought to have this thing finished! Yeah, that's what I keep telling myself.

Anyway, welcome to my teardrop build thread. In actuality, I started planning this a few months before joining this site back in September. I'm a big reader and planner so I appreciate everyone's input on this site. Based on the consideration of many factors this I roughly what I have planned:

4.5' x 9' teardrop (actually a few inches larger than that each way - 55"x111").
79" outside wheel to outside wheel
31x10.5x15 BFG
ASR2KHDS01 Timbren axle-less suspension w/e-brakes

And that right there is where everyone should really start - with the base dimensions and the suspension. Why? Because everything else is built off that. Want a comfortable door height? How do you know if it will be the right height or not if you haven't yet built the suspension? Want to fit an X width bed? Well, that drives your width. Driving offroad and want the track width to match your vehicle? Better start measuring. In short, there are many reasons to look at the suspension and base dimensions as very crucial design decisions in your build. It probably took me longer to come up with these few decisions than anything else. And I had it easy because I went with an axle-less suspension.

So here is what I came up with for a frame:

I'm building the main frame itself out of 2x3x.120 wall tubing. The tongue and bracing is 2x2x3/16. The additional cross members are either 2x3x.120 or 2x2x1/8 angle.

The fenders are braced with 1x1x1/8 angle and are built to be bolted on to the fender supports that are attached to the main frame. This will make building the cabin in place on the frame a much easier prospect since they can be removed during the upper build process.

The rear supports I am building out of 2" & 1 3/4" Telespar. They will be held in place by a couple spring loaded pull pins.

Lighting is courtesy of LED lighting by Optronics. The side marker lights are recess mounted in rubber mounts while the rear lights are protected on the bottom with some metal guards.

Ground clearance from bottom of frame is about 18". Given my mild off-road aspirations (base camp style), this should be plenty.

The white box is a 10 gallon water tank mounted on a bolt on support tray that can be unbolted for maintenance/replacement.

Well, that's it for now. I'll post some more pics soon of current frame progress and then eventually some mockups of the cabin itself after I get them cleaned up a bit in sketchup.

P.S. - If you couldn't guess what BeST in "BeSt One" stands for...blood, sweat, and tears.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Re: BeST One - An offroad teardrop build

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build! :thumbsup:

My first thought while reading your post was that many people start with the available width of plywood at the roof line and work their way back down to the frame, then pick the axle to suit, but you are right; pick your priorities and let those be the determining factors that govern your build! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Well, most plywood only comes in 4' or 5' widths. So you could certainly use those as a base width and go from there and many people do - especially if cost is one of your main concerns. For me, it was more a matter of getting as close to the track width of a Jeep JK as I could, staying under 80" width, and wide enough to sleep the two of us. It also came down to aesthetic proportions when looking at length, width, and height. Using a 3D tool like Sketchup really lets you get a feel for the whole thing before you commit to it.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:54 pm

:yes:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:03 pm

OK, so here are the first build pics. I didn't take any when I was first starting out - there really wasn't anything too interesting about welding up a rectangle.

I'll start with this one because this is how I built most of the frame - upside down. I used the rack supports on my weight rack for one side and 2 sawhorses on the other. I leveled the front and back from side-to-side and squared everything up both before and after tongue was tacked into place. I tack welded on the piece of angle iron to the end of the tongue as an easy way to hook the tape measure on for measuring by myself.

And here it is right side up. Ignore the scrap metal lying on top. Here you can see the recesses for the rear marker lights. At this point I had already trial-fitted the Timbren's and you can see the mounting holes in the sides of the frame.

Welding on the brake light protectors:

Rear receiver hitch and a quick D-ring mount I made out of some scrap:

Here's one of the handles I made (in progress). I bent the metal in a vise after heating with a MAP torch, then cut to length on the bandsaw:

And here are the handles mounted on the front receiver hitch. The front receiver is 2.5x2.5x1/4". The tongue is plug welded to it. Also shown is the Max Coupler.

javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:13 pm

Here's some photos of it sitting on the ground on it's own 2 wheels and jack. I chose to make a bracket to keep the Timbren's from flexing and installed a permanent cross brace as part of the framing. Note: not all of the screws are installed in these pics - everything will be removed at least once more for painting.

If you look just to the front of the Timbren you can see an additional bracket I made mounted to the underside of the cross member. This mounts with a single screw into the front of the Timbren and really locks it up solid.

You can also see a rock slider I made to protect the front of the Timbren:

This is a good shot showing the clearance to the frame. The main bolt head on the Timbren is larger than expected and although it isn't quite as close as this picture shows, its more than I had accounted for (and not indicated anywhere in Timbren specs/dimensions). If it becomes a problem I can add a 1/4" wheel spacer.

javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Nice work. :applause:

What are the three holes in the main rail under the fender area? You mentioned bolt on fenders, but I would expect tho :thinking: se fasteners to go into the nerf bars, yes/no?

<Edit: This reads a little weird because our posts must have crossed in the ether. I didn't see the suspension pics until after posting. :FNP >
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

I have the fender frames built as well as most of the water tank mount, but no pictures of any of them. I had to refill my welding gas tank today, so should get it finished up in a couple days when winter retreats again (Austin, TX).
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:19 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nice work. :applause:

What are the three holes in the main rail under the fender area? You mentioned bolt on fenders, but I would expect tho :thinking: se fasteners to go into the nerf bars, yes/no?

Those are actually the holes for the 3 main bolts of the Timbren. You are correct about the fender fasteners - though they haven't yet been drilled.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:37 pm

Do they call for anti-crush sleeves or some sort of threaded weld bung?

Again, nice work. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby javajaws » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:05 pm

No, the screws are just torqued against the sides of the frame - thus the need for an inner bracket unless you want to tempt fate and risk crushing the tubing or having it dent under pressure during operation.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby titanpat57 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Beautiful job on the design and execution to date!
titanpat57
Donating Member

Postby CMC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:55 am

looking good. What part of Austin are you in? I am also building a off-road style benroy but much bigger. A few on here have called it a Rambo Benroy probably because of the size. I look forward to watching your build.

Curtis
Finally the build has started. Oversized Off-road Benroy (Military Themed)
CMC
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:16 am

Nice work Java, hell for stout is the way I like em too! :thumbsup: Looks like your making good progress with a lot of fore thought with good proper planning to keep changes or adjustments to a minimum....also the way I like it. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby javajaws » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 am

Curtis,
I'm actually on the north side in Round Rock. I've seen your build thread - that certainly is a big beast, and looks good too! That thing looks like the ultimate bug out trailer.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals