4x8 Grasshopper TTT - Flowitda Go!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Now under roof.. And it has a name!

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:00 pm

Got much accomplished today! Got the roof spars and supports built and put on, got the Fan Tastic vent dry fit, and got the roof decking laid up there! The roof decking isnt attached, I kinda ran out of time today :roll:

For the most part, except for borrowing my father's Porter Cable jig saw, these are the only power tools I have used to do this entire build. If you don't have a Hammerhead drill driver, get one! They are great for woodworking as well as mechanical jobs!

And the name... Flowitda Go!

I train Gracie Jiu Jitsu and plan on using this tiny camper to travel to different schools and learn from some of the greats and camp along the way. UFC champ Royce Gracie's older brother Relson didn't have good english when he came to the states in the 90's, and instead of saying "Go with the flow" he goofed and said "Flow with the go" which is kinda profound in a way for someone who trains jiu jitsu. I have trained with Royce, but not with Relson. If I ever get the chance to train with him I will be sure to show him my little jiu jitsu camper named "Flowitda Go!"

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Re: 4x8 Tiny Travel Trailer Build- No legs needed

Postby VijayGupta » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Is this your grandfather? If not, seems they have a lot in common (see the sidebar about his hand injury).

https://books.google.com/books?id=i_YDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=cecil+pierce+dovetails&source=bl&ots=xg4PLH787f&sig=lnNGlJ1V_jj_CnMMLbEZpU6d5uU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gBiLVae2N9OGNqDrgogF&ved=0CDsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=cecil%20pierce%20dovetails&f=false

bobhenry wrote:I sat at my grandfathers side and assisted when he would let me. I learned a lot from him and marveled at how a one handed man adapter and overcame every hurdle he encountered while working on a wood working or remodeling project. The loss of his dominate hand to just below the elbow in a farming accident never slowed him down either. My favorite story I love to tell..... I was about 13 and staying with grandma and grandpa for 2 weeks of the summer. Grandpa was in his element in his woodworking shop and I heard my Grandma holler out. "Cecil do you have on your good hand or your everyday hand?" He used his prosthetic hand to set the nails before he picked up the hammer to drive them. Unfortunately this occasionally broke a few of the finely wound wires that made up the hand. So he was in trouble if he didn't have his "everyday" hand on :)

8 months ago I shortened two fingers in a table saw accident and have been cursing and grumbling because they slow me down a bit.
I promise I will refrain from any further " feel sorry for myself" moments. You have set a sterling example as did grandpa. Take what's dealt to you ,
adapt and overcome. I stand in awe and salute you sir.

Bob Henry
VijayGupta
Teardrop Master

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 pm

So big progress today, not as much as I would like, but my brother broke a water line and I had to go help him do plumbing.

Got the roof screwed/glued down. Set a few screws to the fan and hooked it up to my garage solar bank to check it out. That vent is awesome! It is not too loud, and the ceiling fan feature is going to be nice for sleeping.

Bought my FINAL piece of plywood today! :D :D :D :D
Got my front knockoff skinned as well as my my front wall.

I am cheating on my rear galley access doors. I was going to build them out, but my eBay offer of $25 was accepted on this color matching compartment door so I am going to just install this instead.

I am feeling pretty good about my build right now, it is really starting to look like a camper!

After sitting inside it messing with the fan controls I realize I could have made the cabin height a foot shorter and I would have still been comfortable.

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Got a lot accomplished over the past few days. Galley wall is in, wiring done as much as it can be fit the moment, hatch installed.
I got a extreme weather plastic hinge for the hatch, time will tell if that was a mistake or not. I don't plan on camping in really cold weather ever, so maybe it will work out. I got it from a seller on eBay that I think is on this forum

I am very happy with my galley. It will be small, but I think I have figured out how to maximize my space and storage back there.

Anyway, it's all under roof now, so time for slight adjustments, hole and imperfection filling with all purpose bondo, and lots and lots of sanding.

Will have to post pictures later, as I just found out I can't upload pictures from the Tapatalk app!

Edit: Pictures!

TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:56 am

You're making good progress, Two Feet. :thumbsup:

We're watching! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby noseoil » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:36 am

Neil, your build is going really well! I think that's the "sonic boom" I heard yesterday while I was playing with blocking in the heat. It must have been you passing my build at light speed. Remember, once you put down some carpet & the mattress in its place, there won't be as much head room as there is right now. Keep up the good work & looking good.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ToNIX » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Looks really good! Fantastic work, I'm taking notes :)

I'll make a build thread soon, I'll need some good advices. I have a few ideas in mind.
ToNIX
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 4x8 Grasshopper TTT - Flowitda Go!

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:31 pm

So I have gotten a lot accomplished since last update.

I have a ratty bed cover on my truck that is getting ready to go to the dump, so I salvaged the piston arms and the knob bolts that go with it for the hatch.

Since I didn't have any mounting plates I picked op a 4 pack of angle brackets and made my own.

Then I got all my sanding, filling, sanding, filling, and sanding done.

The all purpose Bondo was a mess to deal with, and I remember it being much funner to deal with when I was a teenager building hot rods. I have to say for the first time in my life I ran out of Bondo at the same time as I ran out of the tube of hardener!

I put on a coat of sanding filler, and then a coat of clear polyurethane.

After I got the polyurethane sanded I hooked it up and pulled it into the driveway so I could hose it off really well. This camper looked so big to me until I hooked it up to the back of my ZR2!

I really pondered my final covering, and whether or not I would do the PMF on the edges of the camper. I had a lot of good advice and opinions on the subject, but after a call back to the manufacturer of the Durabak I was convinced that I would not need to do the edges. This stuff is so flexible that it shouldn't crack at the edges according to the mfgr. Only time will tell for sure.
First coat went on great yesterday, but right after I was done with it I had a swarm of flying ants come through and peppered the whole side. I decided to wait to do the second coat until this morning so the bugs would come out easier. You have up to 24 hours between coats, but after that you have to sand down the Durabak so this morning I woke early to get the second coat on.

And it was pouring down rain.

After much cursing I settled down and let the rain run it's course. I was just sure everything was ruined, but nope..... All was fine. I had some moisture inside due to the open window and door holes, but the underside of the roof was dry as a bone, no leaks. As for the outside first rubber coat, the water just fell off it. I was pleased and surprised. After some toweling off all was well and I got the second coat on.

There is a learning curve to this stuff, because it is NOT paint, and I have a few run spots, but overall I am pleased. The run spots can be sanded after full cure and I have about 2" of product left in the can, so I can touch up. Two full coats on the outside and hatch took one gallon total.

After pulling off the masking tape with some of the durabak on it I gave it a pull. This stuff stretched and snapped back like a rubber band. I think it will work well.

Tomorrow maybe I can get my windows and doors back in, and maybe the hatch back on.

After that it will be time to finish out the interior, and then finalizing the galley design.
Still so much to do!
Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 pm

Looking great! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Got my doors, windows, vent, and hatch final installed today!

I consider it a milestone..... Now on to finish wiring and galley. Maybe plan out my side graphics.

I started this on the 13th of June.. Little over three weeks to exterior pretty much done ain't bad for me!

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:01 pm

that's really quick. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:56 pm

Got all the wireing for brake lights etc done and re packed my bearings. Took it for its first test pull yesterday. Only went about 10 miles but when I was done both hubs were warm but not blazing hot.
She pulls straight and my truck doesn't even know it's back there!

TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Whew who, yippee, and huzzah! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm

So I have been a bit absent the past few weeks, had a lot going on!
I am a jiu jitsu coach for limb different kids at NubAbility.org and we had our yearly sports camp on the weekend of the 15th.
I rushed to get the inside of my camper at least semi-campable, and my little teardrop did a great job for me the 4 days I was there.
Here is our site at the DuQoin, IL fairgrounds. I parked it under both shade trees and up against a stockyard building for maximum shade.
My friend and coach Eric brought his own tent and he cooked a bit at night, but with my fan tastic vent and a small truckers oscillating fan mounted to the wall I actually got a bit chilly at night! During the days on that weekend it reached 100+ degrees and the nights were in the 80s.

I got my walls covered, using acoustic speaker box carpet, and I am very happy with the results!

In the pictures here the studs in the walls stand out, but just looking at it they are not noticable. I got enough carpet and glue to do the entire inside for $45. Again, very pleased. When I get my ceiling insulated and done I will put a fine bead of black caulk around the windows and edges to cover up any cutting goofs I made.

The carpet makes a huge difference in noise levels coming in from the outside, and has the added bonus of covering/hiding screw holes made through it. I had to reposition the fan mount, and the original screw holes disappeared into the nap of the carpet.

Tomorrow I will start on the roof insulation and maybe get it carpeted.
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

Postby TwoFeetShorter » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Well, I haven't checked in on here in quite some time, and I thought I might throw up a few pictures and updates on my little grasshopper build!

I have had it all basically built for the better part of a year, as I took my first long trip in it this week a year ago to Florida. I am constantly finding slighty better ways to do things, and have changed some things here and there, but I can say building this thing has been the best thing I have done for myself in quite a while. All in all I have less than about 1.5k in the thing, and it officially paid for itself the first six months I used it. I travel a lot, and if I just go by hotel room costs, I have saved more on rooms than I put into it.
So, it's all gravy now!
The Durabak coating is holding up well, and if I ever build another TTT I will use it again. That said, the next one I build (and probably this one) will have aluminum sheeting on the very front next time. The bondo all purpose filler has cracked slightly at the seams on the front, causing the coating to separate as well. So next time I will coat the sides, back, and roof, but the front with all the angles will get aluminum!
So far I have put about 10k miles on this camper, and nothing has fallen off! I have had it in the following states, and plan of more soon:
Kentucky
Illinois
Tennesse
North Carolina
South Carolina
Virginia (DC Area)
Alabama
Georgia
Florida

Here is a link to my full build album on Facebook, and it includes my finished out galley.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 5f207cca71

Here is a few video tours of the camper on various trips:
https://www.facebook.com/FollowTwoFeetS ... 729927626/
https://youtu.be/9TIIu-KIe4s
[youtube]https://youtu.be/9TIIu-KIe4s[/youtube]

Neil
TwoFeetShorter
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals