go ahead, call me crazy !

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: go ahead, call me crazy !

Postby dave campbell » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 am

yesterday's progress---- note the 3/4 x 1/8 flat bar----perfect bendy ruler !! i tried using my arm like a giant compass, but the pencil lines were too faint when i stepped back to contemplate. the bar i just wedged in at the ends, then used screws to adjust the curve and hold it in place......

sacr. bulk. 1.JPG
sacr. bulk. 1.JPG (64.25 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

this curve, like the roof line, has no flat spots and over hangs the edge of the base.....

sacr. bulk. 2.JPG
sacr. bulk. 2.JPG (77.04 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

today i will continue with the plywood----no welding nothin' until i'm damn sure the curvature works both vertically and horizontally !

thanks for looking :beer: and keep the suggestions coming, as i am making this up as i go
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:08 pm

hey again--- noisy neighbour back at it......
today i continued with the bulk-head bulk-out. using the previous day's profiles, i ignored the centre spine's front curve, and utilized the radius that is occurring over the door. after pondering this from EVERY angle and over a cold beer, today's decision is to continue this radius right around the front, to the other side. i still get the massive forward lean that is so appealing, but no messing around physically and visually with a change in radius as i wrap around the corner....

sacr. bulk. 5 front right quad.JPG
sacr. bulk. 5 front right quad.JPG (63.76 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

the gut is just as important as the brain, and i listen to mine with great respect------

sacr. bulk. 3 door.JPG
sacr. bulk. 3 door.JPG (53.9 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

a view of the whole shebang----

sacr. bulk. 5 right side overview.JPG
sacr. bulk. 5 right side overview.JPG (74.02 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm

one more view of the front corner---showing the panel that sits to the right of the door and the panel that sits half way around the front corner. looking for a good roof top here---

sacr. bulk. 4 front right.JPG
sacr. bulk. 4 front right.JPG (61.11 KiB) Viewed 1639 times

thanks for looking :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:38 pm

One thing that I'm sure you have considered (... I hope...) between your full sheet station forms vs. the built up ones linked by the others is whether you can get them out after you have skinned over them. The built up ones can be disassembled and taken out thru the door. Your's? Or am I missing something? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:04 pm

the plywood forms are there strictly to bend the next stage of steel ribs around. once i have made sure that the outer edge of the ply is tickity boo in all directions---then i will bend the 1X1/8 flats around them, clamp, and weld---creating the cage. there is a chance at this point that i can remove the plywood without cutting. couple of whacks with a hammer and out they go. skinning will occur after the plywood is gone ....... :beer:

either that or i can cut a tunnel down the centre and have a five room trailer !
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:14 pm

Ah, thanks for explaining. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:42 pm

dave campbell wrote:the plywood forms are there strictly to bend the next stage of steel ribs around. once i have made sure that the outer edge of the ply is tickity boo in all directions---then i will bend the 1X1/8 flats around them, clamp, and weld---creating the cage. there is a chance at this point that i can remove the plywood without cutting. couple of whacks with a hammer and out they go. skinning will occur after the plywood is gone ....... :beer:

either that or i can cut a tunnel down the centre and have a five room trailer !

Thanks for the clarification....I was wondering about that. "Tickity boo"...? :lol: Love it!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby noseoil » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 am

Looking good now & on the way. I hope you have access to lots of cardboard sheets to "mock-up" the aluminum panels prior to riveting them in place. That's going to be a lot of curves to layout on material & cardboard would be the cheapest way to go. It's going to be interesting to see it taking shape.

Not so sure I would rely on the steel framework to hold its shape without the plywood in place. You might think about running a saw kerf in from the outside edges, so later you could cut the plywood from the inside when it's removed later. That, or leave several "key" bulkheads in place to help hold things for the skin. My concern is that the steel will change shape after the forms are removed but before the skin goes on. Hmmmm, not sure about that one????

In any event, it's really taking shape & this is a fascinating build, & certainly one of a kind!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dave campbell » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:37 am

well--- i was going to save this little labour-gem for later.....the steel ribs will not simply be flat. after cutting approximately one ga-zillion short lengths of 3/4 x 1/8 material, i will move the ply wood forms just a titch to one side of each rib, and then tack on the shorts to the inside edge--making either a 'T' bar or "L" . benefits are several-fold-----get better at welding: strengthen the cage: give the cage walls a little depth for insulation: get rid of all that metal in the basement
:beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:03 pm

hey all-- it's been a few days since i could find time for project 'why'----but it's go time again.
this phase is pretty slow, as i want these diminishing curves to be just right. as things are (as seen in the photos) i think that the rear-most plywood bulkhead may be a little steep---as i discovered with the previous piece too ! so it may also get a wee add-on to flesh it out a few inches. this is the head of the bed, and space is crucial--almost as crucial as how the outside looks ! the concensus at this point is to ixnay on the bed-to-couches scenario and keep the matress as close as is comfortable to the floor. there is nearly 60" between the wheel wells---plenty of room for a double-plus bed. if we put the bed on top of the wells, then 75" is the bed width but we lose crucial head clearance at the pillow end.
convertible couches and table ---not so important---seeing as there is a lot of room for a wee table setting at the front end :beer:

curvy coniptions.JPG
curvy coniptions.JPG (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

using a template of the curvature from the base of the trailer. at 6" increments we measure from the centre to this board, always keeping the rearmost point of the board and the spinal column together. didn't quite work as planned. both times we used this method i found the walls to taper too quickly

curvy coniptions 2.JPG
curvy coniptions 2.JPG (69.58 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

curvy coniptions 3.JPG
curvy coniptions 3.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

note the scabbed-on re-curve on the second to last piece
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby SkookumAJ » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 am

Duuuuude! I reckon all you're fancy documentering and interwebing is robbing you a good 2 hours of sweating your butt off in the driveway every day!
If yew want to be glamping next summer you all better put the camera down and get welding man!! :o

You have been busy, my friend.. It looks great! You clearly have Trailer Fever. I'm happy to see your new carport too; that is a must.. Let's link up soon :beer:

For any who would ga 'head and call Dave crazy, I say "well you'll see"; he's an astoundingly creative builder who never ceases to amaze.. especially when locked in a life-long game of creative one-upmanship! :twisted:

Cheers Broo!
SkookumAJ
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dave campbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:56 pm

thanks ajeronio for the love---- we should really make a rocket or a helicopter next !

today's update--- bought a fat sac of C-clamps and started weaving metal strips around the plywood structure. turns out the ply was not totally necessary ----handy yes but when you clamp the metal strips just on the ends--and use as little effort as possible to make them lay flat at their start and finish positions-----they just sort of fall into place and the metal bows the way it is inclined to. do this vertically AND horizontally and try to have no gaps between overlapping rods and the shape almost dictates itself !!

before i welded all the joints together, while they where just clamped, the structure had a very pleasing round shape. it was perfect----but as i welded each joint, it heated up and the tension was lost--giving it the faceted appearance. not all bad though
either i will work with it or overcome it........

trailer weaving 101.JPG
trailer weaving 101.JPG (83.44 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

trailer weaving 102.JPG
trailer weaving 102.JPG (83.29 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

trailer weaving 103.JPG
trailer weaving 103.JPG (90.83 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:58 pm

almost forgot--- :beer: thanks for looking !!
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:59 am

:thinking: I like your attitude. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:29 am

Great Project!
Always fun to follow creative projects when they are progressing without distractions (when they are you focus or number one priority).
Hope you can stay on coarse and stay focused, as this is going to be an amazing build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You have inspired me to get back at my new build. ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals