go ahead, call me crazy !

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

go ahead, call me crazy !

Postby dave campbell » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:59 pm

hey all ! dave from victoria bc here. OCD has struck again and the latest incarnation is a trailer. this i what i plan to build.....
inspiration.jpg
inspiration.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

and these are my rudimentary, early plans.....

plans 2.JPG
plans 2.JPG (45.84 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

the maquette.....

frame model 1.JPG
frame model 1.JPG (67.38 KiB) Viewed 5335 times

i have countless hours of failing at many things, and the patience to go with it, and even though i have not built a trailer on my own (helped with an awesome teardrop last year) i don,t think i have bitten off more than i can chew. i have yet to do due diligence on material weights, and whether my pace-america cargo trailer deck can handle it, ( i used to load it with pallets of cement and/or marble and tile ) but i will cross that road soon. plenty of appropriate parts out there !! metal for the framework has not been bought yet. hoping the axle is not too far forward as i have the unit planned out, , and hoping i choose the right gauge steel for the frame (.065 1" square for the base, and 1' round for the ribs) AND hoping the trailer gods grant me the stamina and luck to complete this !!

thanks for looking !! :beer:
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Re: go ahead, call me crazy !

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:19 pm

Very ambitious! Have your ever done any panel beating before? Even with the faceted shape, I see a bunch of "tin knocking" in your future. Cool. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dave campbell » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:49 pm

brought home the wood today to construct the building platform in the driveway. once the trailer frame is made i can repurpose the staging as the floor and bed frame materials (if not too weathered at that point )
using the grid method i can enlarge my diagrams onto the stage. blocks of 2x4 will be screwed down to dial in my poorly-bent-tubing and secure it for welding. thanks for reading ! :beer:
Last edited by dave campbell on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
renaissance man-----MUST....MAKE......EVERYTHING !! (wife interjects here---"EXCEPT MONEY !")
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:50 pm

i HAVE done some panel beating but it was a small project---a really decent guage of steel for my electric motorcycle project ( seat and battery cover ). i understand that i can make a simple e- wheel with shopping cart casters or dolly wheels for the gentler curves. also not limiting myself to such large pieces either. i really do like the mondrian style of random rectangles so that may be helpful if i'm struggling !!
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:25 pm

That will look awsum if you can pull it off
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dave campbell » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:33 pm

thanks for looking, dales133-----today's update----------the stage is set !! 1/2" ply on 2x4's (on edge) will be my temporary build platform. area measures 96" x 156". plenty of room to manuver and clamp. tomorrow the layout will be drawn on the stage, and the metal will be picked and purchased !! :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby Greg M » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:52 pm

Don't worry about it, we islanders are all a bit crazy. ;)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby dales133 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:07 am

Greg M wrote:Don't worry about it, we islanders are all a bit crazy. ;)

Vancouver Island? Or PEI?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Caveman1970 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:32 am

I have had no desire to start another camper project as my teardrop will always be a work in progress......but...... after seeing this...
I feel a tad bit of the crazy coming on... I may yet build another!!!!
"If at first you don't succeed....Caulk it!... A-lot!"
Caveman1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Greg M » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 am

dales133 wrote:Vancouver Island? Or PEI?

Yes. ;)
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby dales133 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:48 am

Had a friend from PEI and a cousin that lived new Zealand summers in Washington go on state or Vancouver Island. He rode pro for Burton.
My grandparents on my dad's side are canackers :)
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dave campbell » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:30 pm

islanders yay !!! me? westcoaster all the way, but my campbell ancestors landed at cape breton 8 generations ago !! today's update----started the life-size layout on the stage. also ordered the metal---460 bones gets me the platform and rib cage delivered to my door, including taxes. the weight of the cage will come in at 250 lbs, minus some. the cargo trailer i am using as a platform has a maximum capacity of 2210 pounds, so i have quite a ways to go for overload !!
thanks for looking ! :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby dave campbell » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:23 pm

allrighty !! metal for the frame is in the house !

metal delivery.JPG
metal delivery.JPG (73.22 KiB) Viewed 4883 times

and the band saw is set up.....

chopper.JPG
chopper.JPG (66.6 KiB) Viewed 4883 times

and away we go

frame start 1.JPG
frame start 1.JPG (59.8 KiB) Viewed 4883 times

that thing set up there is the base for the tube bender--proving to be woefully inadequate for the 1" square tube. it will be fine for the 3/4" round, though.
thanks for looking :beer:
dave campbell
Teardrop Master

Postby Greg M » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:40 am

So far, so good :thumbsup:
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby surplus 6 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:47 pm

crazy
well you did say we could, very cool project, will be popping to watch the progress with interest 8)
surplus 6
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals