"Jackal" 5x10 TD Running water.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD free 6 volt batteries questions

Postby noseoil » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:22 pm

They're really good batteries, but as Don said, check to see how old they are & how they seem inside. If you decide to use them, remember, they will need to be in a vented box. Hydrogen gas is lighter then air, so some type of "snoot" is necessary to let the gas out when they're being used. Ideally, it's fresh air coming in from the bottom & gasses out the top.

They would give you plenty of power for lights, stereo or a small TV set & DVD player. They weigh about 62 pounds each!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JmsCaverly » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Hey Don and Nose thanks for the info. I checked out the batteries and they were both manufactured in August of 2004 the good thing is my boss said they have never had fuild in them till last week and have had a full charge that same day. I think I got really lucky with this one guys they both hold full charges @ 12.8 volts I didn't measure them independently. Both look really good inside and out. Last week we changed out a ton of these on all 12 of our skyjacks and these were left over. So I know they maybe older man dates but I think these will be good for years to come.

I was just going to put them in the galley somewhere but after your suggestion for a ventaltion system I think the best place will be in the tongue box. I'm not too fond of that idea as I would much rather have them as close as possible to my control panel. I'm thinking about it now and to save some space I might just try and stack them to have a smaller footprint. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks again guys
Last edited by JmsCaverly on Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come visit my build journal
139728 139588
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63870
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:03 am

If they were never filled, then they are NEW! Great job grabbing them when you did. Here's the data sheet for them:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datash ... Sheets.pdf

The self-discharge rate is what I noticed in their PDF, it's from 5 to 15% per month, so they should be topped off every 2-3 months to keep them in good shape. They should run for years now if you keep them well charged & check the fluid. Solar panel for the charging when you get that far on the build?

If they go into a tongue box, stacking would be fine, but checking fluid levels might be a chore on the lower one with the weight to deal with & some type of frame or rack system to hold them. If you had a load of 30 amps at 12 volts (that's a lot of juice) you could run number 6 wire to the galley if that's where your panel & inverter end up being used (look up wire charts to see more online). If you feed everything from the tongue box & have the panel there, you would need to build a harness to go into the cabin/galley for distribution. Hmmmm.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JmsCaverly » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:32 am

That pdf has some good info. I would love to do solar panels but I think for now it will a have to be a standard charging system. I'm looking to make that one of my first upgrades next down season once I get a chance to work out all my year one kinks "if there are any".

Sense I have the time, and the floor isn't final yet in the galley area I think I might build a box into the floor. That would save space up top and the battery's would have protection from the water tank from road debris and I could use some sheet steel as a cover for the batt box. Of course ideally keeping them inside the tear and above the frame would be best I may have to to save space.

I need to do some thinking about it, I really don't want them all the way up front and I don't want my galley to feel cramped I think once I get the stove and fridge I'll have a better idea of space.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Little bit of work done this weekend I got the interior walls done and insulated. I also started a bit of work on the rear hatch more on that to come once I hash out how the seal will work I'll post some pics on that.

ImageImageImage

Also I think I have solved the battery delema for now I plan to put the batteries in a slide out tray underneath the slide out stove top. I think it's a good place and with some thoughts from Noseoil and RunnerDuck I know how they'll be vented and serviced without having to slide them out everytime.

139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Interior walls and battery placement

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:22 am

OK guys huge announcement she's rolling. We have a rolling teardrop I can't even begin to express the excitement I hold. And really I own it to ALL OF YOU!! If it wasn't for this group of fantastic people I would have never got to this point. All the research and time is really starting to look like something, starting to look like a tear drop camper.

The cool thing is I finally get a chance to see what my profile looks like outside of a small garage. I'm really glad I want in the direction I did because I really like it and I really like the size the thing is HUGE!!!

And finally a little sampling of what it will look like connected to the TV and I must say it looks GOOD!!

Last thing I was able to get a quick measurement of the weight on the tongue and as of right now I have 38 lbs. I plan on adding a little more from the tongue box and the climate right that will go inside which I think will make it just about 100lbs which should be far less then the max weight it could hold
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD First time pulling out of the garage!!

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:52 pm

You're making good progress! Isn't it a thrill, that first time you pull it out of the garage?!
Keep going! We're watching! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:25 pm

Your trailer looks GREAT behind your Ford Edge! It is much bigger than I imagined from reading your thread. Nice to have all of that interior space for the family. Really looking forward to seeing how you skin it.

Cheers,
Lauren
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:25 am

That is such a great shape and size !!!

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 am

Thanks for all the love everyone! This really is such great space to share this journey.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Installing lights

Postby JmsCaverly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:57 pm

Well its that time, one I've been dreading. Its time to start the wiring, I haven't posted much because all my time has been researching how to wire up this camper. But I think I'll be just fine I planned on the part taking the longest.

Heres some pics from the last few weeks.....

I started getting the interior lighting where I want it.

Then I got a little excied and did a test run

Finally in prep for all the wiring coming I made a quick holder for wire spools. So I can keep everything moving smooth when I pull wire though.

Each kid bunch will have its own reading light and outlet. There will also be individual curtains to somewhat isolate the light to said bunk.

I got all the spars glued and in place I should have my star gaze window next week so I can really go full force on the wiring. If any of you guys have used the one from Vinatge Tech and could pass along the cut out dimensions that would be awesome of you. But other than that I'm just putting along.

I think my wife and I have picked a dead line. She's a teacher and her spring break is in early april, so I think that where the goal line is for now.

Finally I put together a little spool holder to make things move a little smoother.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Installing lights

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 am

Ok guys I need a bit of help here. I tried to bench test my new PD 4045 and I get the 12v DC voltage just fine with no issues but when I tried to do the same with the 120v AC I got nothing. I've tested the outlet and it works fine. Does any one have pics on the inside of there's they can post. Here's what I have done to the AC side just like the "instructions"

139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD PD 4045 questions

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:14 am

I can't comment on the workings of the power panel, but you will definitely want to add a cord connector where the cord enters the back of the box. You don't want that loose wire to chafe on the edges of the knock-out.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby JmsCaverly » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Thanks KC but right now I'm just in the bench testing phase. I don't want to add those wire clamps in till I have everything fully installed.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 pm

I can't tell with your picture I'm on a cell phone. But the yellow wire I see is going in is it powering your 12 volt? Hey I'll just run out and snap mine. Be back in a few.
Padilen
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals