"Jackal" 5x10 TD Running water.

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Door #1 DONE!!

Postby ELM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 pm

JmsCaverly wrote:I just weight it and it's at 13.5 lbs give or take a bit. Not very heavy but solid.

Thanks that gives me an option.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Door #1 DONE!!

Postby JmsCaverly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Alright guys I need some help, I can't figure out how to get the trim on my hatch to work. I have take some detailed photos so I can try and clearly explain what I'm trying to do.

Here's what my hatch design looks like:

Hatch Closed

Hatch Open Hatch skin is 1/4"

This is the wall profile showing how the hatch sits inside the wall

Now I have com up with two options that I think will work but I just don't know how to implement them.

Option #1:

My first thoughts were to just use this aluminum angle and I would be fine problem is I have no way of bending this.

I would prefer to use this because of how much it over hangs.

So how would you bend this?

Option #2

I have two extra pieces of T-molding from building my doors, which is very pliable and easily bent. but doesn't have anywhere near as much off an overhang and I wouldn't want to risk water penetration. And with the t-molding I would have to trim off the overhanging edge and carefully smooth the edge so it wants sharpe. seems like too much extra work for a not so great fitting piece anyway.

I still think that option #1 is the best way but just no clue what to do.
Come visit my build journal
139728 139588
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63870
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Re: "Jackal" 5x10 TD Hatch Trim Help

Postby lfhoward » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Disclaimer: I have never built a hatch or bent aluminum along a curve.

But I agree with you, I think option 1 would be best. I think I've seen some folks heat up the aluminum to make it pliable. There is a term for that process that I'm not able to remember. But somebody might know what it is and point you in the right direction.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby badschnauzer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:34 pm

Why put any T or angle trim along the edge? It looks like you have a tight fit with good gasket compression. That alone should prevent water from entering the galley. Of course, if you are skinning the hatch top with aluminum, you'll want some thin c-channel trim for appearances sake. Just a thought.

We are at the exact same spot in our builds. I applied my outer hatch skin last night and started building one of my doors today while the hatch adhesive set. For my hatch, I ran the ply over the sides, like you. I will add another ply strip along this edge for reinforcement. Then I'll run my PMF canvas from the top, around the edge and under. Should make a watertight seal with the D style compression gasket.
Posted by: BadSchnauzer
Colorado Springs, CO

See my Pikes Peak Woody Build
Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby vegask » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:40 pm

I also have not built a hatch but I did sleep in a holiday inn express the other week...

Option 1, buy some of this: https://www.socalteardrops.com/parts.php?cid=2&pid=23

Option 2, to bend the angle, if it were me I would copy the hatch curve onto some 3/4" plywood, cut it out and then heat and hammer (with a mallet) the angle to the shape.
vegask
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JmsCaverly » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:59 pm

lfhoward wrote:Disclaimer: I have never built a hatch or bent aluminum along a curve.

But I agree with you, I think option 1 would be best. I think I've seen some folks heat up the aluminum to make it pliable. There is a term for that process that I'm not able to remember. But somebody might know what it is and point you in the right direction.

I do believe that process is called annealing but I'm not so sure I would be able to do that I think it's a bit outside of my realm. I haven't done a whole lot with aluminum before. I mean I could always try I guess we'll just have to see.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 am

badschnauzer wrote:Why put any T or angle trim along the edge? It looks like you have a tight fit with good gasket compression. That alone should prevent water from entering the galley. Of course, if you are skinning the hatch top with aluminum, you'll want some thin c-channel trim for appearances sake. Just a thought

You know I didn't think of that but that might work too. I'll have to see what I can come up with for a piece of c channel.

badschnauzer wrote:We are at the exact same spot in our builds. I applied my outer hatch skin last night and started building one of my doors today while the hatch adhesive set. For my hatch, I ran the ply over the sides, like you. I will add another ply strip along this edge for reinforcement. Then I'll run my PMF canvas from the top, around the edge and under. Should make a watertight seal with the D style compression gasket.

I thought about using the pmf canvas when I was first starting my build. I actually had it lined up that I was going to use a fiberglass panel for my side was much like commercial rv s use now. I was going to have my outside look like a mini rv with graffics and all but I'm glad I went the way I did.

Do you have any plans to make it out this summer?
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby badschnauzer » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:15 am

[/quote]Do you have any plans to make it out this summer?[/quote]

I do. I have a trip to Moab planned in early May. That's my target for completion. With the warm weather we've been having in Colorado, it shouldn't be a issue.
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:54 am

vegask wrote:I also have not built a hatch but I did sleep in a holiday inn express the other week...

Hahahaha that's awesome!

I think what I'm going to do this weekend is make a quick form and get a small propane torch and see if I can't get some of this stuff to bend.

Wish me luck?!?!?!
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:58 am

It's hard for me to tell from your pictures, but it looks like you used some type of aluminum sidewall edge molding in front of the hatch. Why don't you use the same for your hatch?

I wouldn't worry about the lower leg being long enough. It doesn't provide much waterproofing anyway. With your double seals at the hatch and the "rain gutter" space between the seals, I don't think you'll have to worry about water intrusion. (I used a similar double seal on each side of my hatch. It has been through several downpours while in transit and at campgrounds and has never leaked.)
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ELM » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:42 am

Hi your teardrop is looking great. Here's a few you tube videos I found on annealing aluminum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEKE9AOdXO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhnZemxJ1c
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:44 pm

aggie79 wrote:It's hard for me to tell from your pictures, but it looks like you used some type of aluminum sidewall edge molding in front of the hatch. Why don't you use the same for your hatch?

I wouldn't worry about the lower leg being long enough. It doesn't provide much waterproofing anyway. With your double seals at the hatch and the "rain gutter" space between the seals, I don't think you'll have to worry about water intrusion. (I used a similar double seal on each side of my hatch. It has been through several downpours while in transit and at campgrounds and has never leaked.)

Thanks for that, thats exactly why I wanted to use the longer leg on the side, and if it really won't provide any water proofing then theres really no point for all the hassle. I used 1/2"x1/2" aluminum angle for my side walls, and that was really easy to bend with no problems at all. Really the only reason I wanted to use the longer leg was for uniformity along the length go the hatch but at this point I feel like its more of a pain than anything.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby badschnauzer » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:05 am

How much overhang should I have on my hurricane hinge? Is 1/2" enough? What's the standard?
Colorado Springs, CO

Image Image Image
badschnauzer
Teardrop Builder

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:02 am

badschnauzer wrote:How much overhang should I have on my hurricane hinge? Is 1/2" enough? What's the standard?

I'm not sure there's a standard, but I went with a 1" over hang on both side on mine. I figured that should be plenty and I even rounded some of the edges. I rather talk and my hinge is at about forehead height last thing I want to to have a run in with a shape piece of aluminum.
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

Postby JmsCaverly » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:05 am

ELM wrote:Hi your teardrop is looking great. Here's a few you tube videos I found on annealing aluminum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEKE9AOdXO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhnZemxJ1c

Thanks Elm I watched both and it does look like a bit of a process I think it might be something I toy with in the future maybe a few test pieces. But for now I think it's out of my skill level. Plus both have suggested using acetylene gas and I sure don't have that I'm a wood worker. Lol
139728 139588
JmsCaverly
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals