5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 am

Yup, that's going to be nice! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:52 am

Vedette wrote:Hi Ken
You are making amazing progress. :thumbsup: :applause:
Nice looking profile! :thumbsup:
Your build journal is wonderful! :thinking:
At the rate you are going, you will be ready to camp with us in 2016 for sure.
We hope you can come up to our 3rd annual Fall Gathering. ;)
I hope to be back on my new project soon (our last camping trip is scheduled for this weekend ) :)
Keep up the Great Work
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
9kc
D

Thank you I appreciate your comments.

Where is your "3rd Annual Fall Gathering"?
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:25 am

Sorry Ken
It was a typo, as I had just spent the evening organizing our FALL Campout at Monitor Wa. this coming weekend.
What I meant to invite you to was our 3rd Annual FARM Gathering, which is held at our FARM in Westbank B.C.
We sure hope you can make it.
As a PNW Tear Jerker member you will receive plenty of info on this event.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 11

Postby RunnerDuck » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:38 pm

I made a little progress today. I drilled the holes for mounting the bumper. I think this 1934 Ford bumper is going to look great on the finished TD.

rear bumper.jpg
rear bumper.jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

I also got the first coat of paint on the bottom of the frame. First I cleaned it with lacquer thinner, then ground off some of the well splatter, wiped it down again and painted the bottom. I've decided to use Hammerite for the frame. It's supposed to be pretty durable and I like the way it looks.

Tomorrow I should finish painting the frame and then I can get the floor on and have a nice large flat work space as my woodshop is very tiny.

Stay tuned,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:53 am

Fancy! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: 5' X 10' Grumman 2 Sort Of Day 12

Postby RunnerDuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:38 pm

I hesitate to call this "Day 12" because I've been whittling away at things for a number of days, just not enough to update every day.

Let me start off by telling you about a mistake I made.

I had cut out my wall pattern before I ever had the frame done. Once the frame was all welded up I temporarily mounted the pattern and discovered it was 3/4" too short! Well crap, now what?

I cut the pattern apart where the ceiling is flat for mounting the vent. Then I spliced in a 3/4" piece of plywood and backed it up with some 1/2" plywood. It now fits perfectly and my pattern will still work as I left enough room for the router to clear when I flush-cut the walls.

And yet another mistake, I was in the process of painting my frame with Hammerite. First I wanted to roll and brush the bottom and then spray the sides and top.

I rolled and brushed on a nice coat and let it dry. In the meantime my brother reminded me that Hammerite should be reapplied within one hour or wait seven days, darn! Then I read the can and the brush on type requires reapplication within four hours or fourteen days, crap! :x

So I went to work on my walls and let it sit for fourteen days. I finally got the second coat on the bottom and three coats on the sides and top. It's done and I'm a happy guy.

frame paint.jpg
frame paint.jpg (35.72 KiB) Viewed 2606 times

In the meantime I'd started on the "inner spacer wall". It will be a "Swiss Cheese" type construction out of 1" X stock.

There again I screwed up and bought the wood at Home Depot. I carefully sorted through the pile and brought home what I though was some "pretty good" wood. Turns out that it wasn't "good enough" so off to a real lumber store. I got all the clear hemlock I needed and finally got started, $250's later.

So far I have the door frame rough-cut and will trim it to within 1/16" - 1/8" of the pattern before I flush-cut it.

Here are the two door frames, one in place and the other drying.

door2.jpg
door2.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 2606 times

I'm making progress and feeling good about it.

Stay tuned,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:01 pm

Best to catch the mistakes when you can deal with them the best way. After countless little "oopsies" on my build they don't bother me so much anymore, I just fix them as best I can, sometimes teaching myself a better way to do something next time. The thing that still concerns me some is the "big one"; what if I really screw up, "go over a cliff", and can't fix it? (Hasn't happened yet.)
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:19 pm

I believe the operative word there is "YET"! I too fear that day and hope it never comes.

As far as mistakes go I look at them as "challenges" that I really enjoy conquering with successful results :applause:
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:26 am

Hi Ken
Man are you making great progress! :thinking:
You have inspired me to get back at Kermit and try to keep up with you this winter.
Spring will be here before you know it! :roll:
We hope to debut at the new Lake Shasta Gathering Apr. 28/16.......love for you to join us on that trip.
Last year, Ted from Camano Island travelled down with us. :thumbsup:
I will continue to follow your build.
Oh, and as a Street Rod builder for the past 48 years.....I loved to see your "Bumper" :twisted:
I used a deuce bumper on the rear of my TV (46 Stude)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandy
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby RunnerDuck » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks Brian,

I'm glad I've inspired you to move forward. I believe we all need a little inspiration or nudge from time to time.

It would be fun to join the group this spring but I've got a lot to do between now and then.

Stay tuned,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 am

yes, got back out there today! I think I am truly back in the saddle.
Now to re figure out how to download and post some pictures?????
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby rockinrukes1 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Hi Ken, saw your build here, really nice looking job...I live nearby on Lopez Island and am at a similar stage in my build as you, some similarities: got my steel from Skagit Steel...haha..my shape is similar and its 5x10'. anyway I am hoping we can blog a little about our builds and local suppliers as we go...at least you have some big lumber/ hardware suppliers nearby...but I have managed to get lucky and find things such as a 5; x 10' x 3/4 acx for the floor ...that simplified a lot...went to six Roblees for all my trailer needs...torflex axel and hitch receiver... I will be ready by Friday to slap the sides up, mount the majority of the cabinets and frame the roof...Happy building! Rick
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RunnerDuck » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:28 am

Hey Rick,

Great to hear from you and your progress. It sounds like you're a little further along than me, I'm still just cutting the wood for my walls.

I feel for you, living on Lopez and trying to build something like a TD. It's hard enough on Whidbey Island with only one real lumber store. I do have some good sources off island just a short ferry ride away. You on the other hand have a whole day trip to do any off-island shopping.

Of course for most things the internet works great for me. Mr. Brown delivers things almost daily it seems. :thumbsup:

I'd love the see your progress and share information. I keep updating my Build Journal but I do email as well and that's always a good way for me to communicate.

Let's keep in touch and hopefully we'll bump into each other some day and see each others finished project.

Thanks,
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby rockinrukes1 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Ken, yes and to get wood home I need to plan ferry trips with reservations in accordance with no rain! You can see a pic of my build if you go to the newbies page and find my post new build on Lopez Island....I am taking the KISS approach...3/4 one piece screwed directly to the frame/ 3/4" wall made out of 5x5 screwed directly to the frame with the aft door side at the 5' end of sheet so I didn't have to splice.... the cabinets are simple 3/4" and 1/2" mixed.....the roof will be 1x2 with 3/4" ply blocks and the roof cil 1/8" birch each side. it will have a battery and 120v /12v electric. the glitch I am solving now is the way the torsion arm interferes with the sides....have to cut out a little side for the suspension to work and patch it with aluminum and lots of sealer I guess...anyway...Tor flex did not specify this dimension on their website and the sales person was not helpful before I ordered it so...oh well that's what it all seems to be about ...problems and solutions right? Rick e mail [email protected]
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:10 pm

rockinrukes1 wrote:Ken, yes and to get wood home I need to plan ferry trips with reservations in accordance with no rain! You can see a pic of my build if you go to the newbies page and find my post new build on Lopez Island....I am taking the KISS approach...3/4 one piece screwed directly to the frame/ 3/4" wall made out of 5x5 screwed directly to the frame with the aft door side at the 5' end of sheet so I didn't have to splice.... the cabinets are simple 3/4" and 1/2" mixed.....the roof will be 1x2 with 3/4" ply blocks and the roof cil 1/8" birch each side. it will have a battery and 120v /12v electric. the glitch I am solving now is the way the torsion arm interferes with the sides....have to cut out a little side for the suspension to work and patch it with aluminum and lots of sealer I guess...anyway...Tor flex did not specify this dimension on their website and the sales person was not helpful before I ordered it so...oh well that's what it all seems to be about ...problems and solutions right? Rick e mail [email protected]

One of the things that I fretted over the most was ordering the axle. Those dimensions are very tight at the sides. I just cut mine out and edged the aluminum in that area. Turned out not to be that big a deal. I wouldn't sweat it too much... it will all pan out in the end.

Here is a sketch that one of the other members... can't remember who, shared with me that might help.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals