The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Silver Eagle 5x9 Build

Postby Gunguy05 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:57 pm

So, we took about a 2 week vacation, then a family funeral... then back to work for a week where I tried to catch my breath.

Then... I was offered a last minute trip for some stuff to do with my blog.. then... next thing I know, I have't had a weekend at home in 4-5 weeks.

BUT TODAY.

We got in a good bit of work. Yesterday my wife started the polyurethane on all but 2 (ahem.. i miscounted) of the ceiling boards. The late last night, and this AM early I put the last 2 coats on them. I struggle with having enough "stuff" to work with on the days that we have long work periods. It seems like we are constantly waiting on something to dry. I think that is the case with many parts of this process though.. hurry up and wait.

Anyways, we got the ceiling panels polyurethaned and all but 2 set into place. As I mentioned before, these are 3 1/2 x 5/16 T/G pine panels from big orange. We put 3 coats of semi-gloss on them. A slight dab of PL premium along the length (btw.. what will take that stuff off? It sticks to EVERYTHING). to the BACK of the t/g of each of them. This seems to work well and there is virtually no squeeze out onto the good side of the board.

Here's my dad up on the roof with us glueing and tacking them in place.

Image2016_0730_131528_001 by gunguy05, on Flickr

Here is the finished product from the inside.
Image2016_0730_133608_001 by gunguy05, on Flickr

I will admit the pine was my dad's idea, I'm just not a fan up the knots and all. BUT I do think it turned out better than I thought it would. I really like the continuity of the pine throughout the walls and ceiling (and the cabinet frames). :thumbsup:

Next up is to rip the spars down. Because the pine was an after thoughts, we are having to rip the spars to 1 1/4 thick. No a big deal because we were going to mill our own out of 2x material anyways.

Anywho.. that's it for now. If you are a youtuber, be sure to follow my youtube channel. I am doing a complete video series over there for the entire build.. and future projects of mine.. It's Here if you are interested. :beer:
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby rebapuck » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:42 pm

Not sure what PL is or what you want to remove it from, but here's my trick for removing things like caulking and that black windshield sealant and the like from hands. Rub liquid soap onto your hands. NO WATER. Rub it good. Wipe off with a paper towel. Repeat if necessary. Then use water.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby ELM » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:53 am

Hi
I really like the pine TG it looks very nice. The Locktite PL does get every where but it works great. I use lacquer thinner for clean up. (But don't use it for clean up on your clear poly) I have found that the PL won't stick to these bondo spreaders http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bondo-Spreaders-3pk/16927982 So I've used these to spread it or just to catch what keeps running out of the tube. And after it drys it will just peal off of the spreader. And after my first time using it I now where throw away gloves when I use it. Very nice Tear drop you a your Dad are building. :applause:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:54 am

So this weekend we worked more in the roof, and I really feel like we are making progress on things now. Dad wants to go camping in the fall, so, I think we can make it happen.

First we added spars, going to have a window and a vent in the top.

Then we worked in and finished the front framing.

Last, we got the first layer of 3/4 Insulation cut for the front before we ran out of steam.

Still working on videos of all of this. Please consider subscribing to my YouTube channel, as I go into further explanation there and hit all the details.

http://YouTube.com/Dadrambles
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:42 am

IF any are interested, here is a link to my build progress from this weekend, with a little more explanation.

https://youtu.be/u3uvbRrJ1xU
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Gunguy05 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

I haven't posted in a while, but here is where we are right now....

Just happened to stop by, and wanted to post an update.

We all (my family, and my parents) are going to CRA in july....so we gotta bust a move and get finished! ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Brian

Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals