Trolley Top build - another first time builder

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Trolley Top build - another first time builder

Postby jeresci » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I've been lurking around the forum for the past few months, and have decided that I should start a build thread. I would like to thank Ryan for the plan of his Wyoming Woody, Dave with his Campernarty, and Scott for his videos of his teardrop build. These three builds really have provided the most inspiration for the design that I will attempt, and for the confidence that I can actually make this happen. Having said that, I really want to thank everyone who contributes to TnTTT for the wealth of knowledge you have provided to this community.
So what am I going to build, and what have I done so far? I have a semblance of a plan, and a 5x8 Northern Tools trailer. What I don't have is a lot of money, so I will be doing this as money and time make themselves available.
My concept is a Wyoming Woody profile with a trolley top. I will also be building a tongue box that will be integrated into the teardrop structure. I have drawn some sketches, which illustrate the basic profile and how some of the cabinets will be placed. I plan for a portion of the tongue box to be accessible from the outside, and for the rest to be accessed like a closet of sorts on the inside.

I really like the idea of using SIPs and am contemplating how to build my own adding in extra wood where necessary for the anchoring of walls, doors, etc.
For now the trailer is assembled, and road worthy. I will add more to this thread as I make further progress on the build. I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I do anything significant, but I have read several build journals that have lasted for years, so I am gaining courage.

Thanks,
Jere
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trolley Top build - another first time builder

Postby Hepcat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:38 am

Hey, welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice sketch, and I am a big fan of the trolley-top shape. Have you planned the exact measurements already? I am getting the impression that the overall profile, as seen in your front view, might be a bit high and narrow, and the roof outside the trolley top kinda small. Why not think about extending the body width over the wheels to give it a more sturdy, ground-hugging look, if the width of the trolley top remains as is?
Hepcat
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jeresci » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:13 am

Hepcat - thanks for the encouragement. My plan is for the teardrop to be 5' wide, 9' 4" long not including the tongue box. With the tongue box included it will be 10' 2". The height of the main body is planned for 4' 6" which includes the material that will cover the trailer frame. (I want it to be full 4' inside the teardrop.) The trolley top will extend the height to 5' 2". I have a full size cardboard template for the profile pieces, and took the measurements from that template.

The plan is for the tongue box and trolley top to be about 3' wide, and for the side portions to be about 1' each.

I have made the teardrop a little taller than normal intentionally. What I haven't done is compare that side profile, and see how it will look from the front and rear. I know that some have gone for a taller build, but I don't know if they all have chosen to make things wider as well. Right now I like the plan, but it is definately a plan that is subject to change.

Any other constructive comments are welcome. One of the reasons I posted now is for interested people to have input, and to potentially have a better build as a result of their collective wisdom.

Jere
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 am

I like it! Starting with cardboard is really the best way to go. Make all the mistakes on your cardboard (eraser is your friend here), then just stick with the plan. As long as your full scale drawings are correct, it's a simple process of building what's there, if nothing changes. The side profile looks to be "just right" for what you need. I like the extra height & storage from the tongue box.

The only problems I ran into on my build were the result of a "change on the fly" decision or not thinking all the way through the problem first. One example I can give, the solar panel wires had to go through the roof & I didn't allow for a way to tighten the bottom nuts on the cable glands under the roof skin. There was room for it all to fit in place, but no way to tighten the nuts from below, once the skin was down. I had to lift the solar panel & skin at the back edge of the roof, just to tighten two nuts. Then had to re-fasten the panel, hinge, skin, seal & moldings again. PITA but I got it! What should have taken about 2 minutes took over an hour. Live & learn......
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 am

Noseoil has it perfect - create a cardboard cutout, mark off stuff, lean it against the wall and then try out all the different positions you can think of. A CAD or pencil drawing is a great starting tool, but there is no cheaper or more effective method of really coming up with what pleases you than to get a true visual and spatial viewpoint.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:24 pm

I too planned on having the TB integral with the front wall because I wanted to incorporate a front cabinet into part of it. The problem came when I realized that the trailer tongue would always have a certain amount of up and down flex and the cabin sides would stiffen the rest of the chassis considerable more. To me this looked like it would create a can opener affect where the sides and top of the TB/front locker connected to the front wall (which is essentially a flexible diaphragm in the middle away from the side walls).

At first I opted to add flexible rubber isolation mounts between the tongue mounting pads and the bottom of the tongue box, but ultimately I decided to divorce the TB from the locker bump out.

My walls, including front, are built especially light with very little in the way of traditional stick or ply construction, but it would still be a concern for vibration and flex over time. Maybe I just worry too much, but it is something to consider. Don't assume that there won't be small relative motions between the tongue and cabin.

Perhaps others that have successfully incorporated a unitized tongue box will weigh in and report how things are working out for them after many miles.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jeresci » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Noseoil- thanks for the comments. I've read several build journals where the plans were started on a cardboard template, and I just thought it was a great idea. It really helps me in making the many components make sense spatially.

KC - I had seen in you build journal that you had made those changes in your TB, and wondered what your thoughts were. Thanks for sharing. Some of what I want to do can still be done without an integral TB. I'll continue to tweak the plans until the build is done. I would like to hear from others who have considered, or have done a TB like this, and learn what their experience has been.

My original idea for an integrated TB came from when I saw a Campinn 560 that has one. I wonder if they did anything special to their tongues to accomodate this, or if they made special provision for how they attached the TB?
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:39 pm

love hearing about other people and their trolley tops.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Trolley Top build - continued planning

Postby jeresci » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Ron- thanks for dropping by. I have read your build journal,and am impressed. I was initially attracted to the bow design, but have elected for a more traditional profile. I look forward to your insights as my build progresses.

I am currently researching a couple things for my build.
1. I want a woody appearance, but i also want it to be light weight. This has lead me to explore the idea of using foam for as much as I can, and reinforcing it with wood in the places that require more strength. This core would then be covered with 1/8" ply. I know there is a lot of information in the foamy section to keep me busy for a long time, but if anyone would like to comment on this, I would be glad to hear from you.

2. I also want to be able to use the TD as soon as I can. I'm looking at this being a build that will take a while considering how much I will be able to spend on it at any one time. So I am developing a schedule-of-sorts that can be used to allow me toward being able to "take occupancy" without it being actually complete. For now my list of necessary steps are as follows:
A. Trailer
B. Build floor
C. Build walls-these need to include channels for any wiring needed for the completed TD.
D. Build ceiling/roof - by the completing of this the wiring for the TD should be installed.
E. Build and installed the hatch with any necessary wiring.
G. Equip the TD with a necessary running lights.

Once this list is done, even if none of the cabinetry is completed, I should be able to enjoy using it and complete the rest as funds come in. It should be noted that I will likely need to install bulkheads during the above list for ease of construction, and for the overall stability of the TD.
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jeresci » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:21 pm

Well, I did some side work, and have made some extra cash to work on the TD! :D :thumbsup:
So I went out and bought what I needed to make the floor. My plan calls for a basic foam sandwich for the floor, and it went together with little difficulty.
I will say this... I am very envious of those who have a full shop to work from. I'm using my garage, and it was challenging to get the floor joints even and flat without a large table to use for assembling it. Of course now that the floor is done I can use it as a table for future work. :twisted: :thumbsup:
Here are some pictures of the work thus far:
I have also made a rough pattern for the TD profile, and will begin finalizing the measurements for the wall panels. I can do this now that i have the floor made.
All in all it was good to make saw dust. :)
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jeresci » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 am

So it has been a very, very long time since I posted to this thread. Shortly after my last post I accepted a new job that gobbled up every spare minute, so progress on the teardrop became quite slow, but after two years I had the walls up, and I was transitioning to a new and less stress job.

While in the process of moving the incomplete teardrop and tow vehicle were in an collision with a pickup, and bother we’re totaled.

It has been a year since the accident, and I am considering starting again. If I do I will use the same design.

Even though I never used the little trailer to camp in, it had become something a bit more significant than a project. I still get excited when I see someone else with a teardrop, so the dream is there.

Happy camping...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby noseoil » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:30 am

I say just DO It!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 pm

How is the build coming? ;)
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby jeresci » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:53 am

Noseoil and Ron, thanks for expressing interest in the build, and even though my attention to this thread has been virtually nil, I have begun, and plan to have the teardrop operational, if not complete, by the end of July.
I know that schedule might seem a bit quick, but I am a teacher on summer break, so I can spend all day working on the camper.
What have I done so far?
1. Bought a 5x8 Northern Tool Trailer.
2. Made templates for all necessary parts in 1/4 plywood.
3. Bought a stack of wood from a local supplier,
4. Bought cases of PL Premium and Foam adhesive.
5. Cut and routed out the wall structure, the trolley top and tongue box.
6. Assembled and attached the floor.

I am now working on the bulkheads, and gluing on the inner skins. Once these are complete I will be able to begin assembly. This will put me close to where I was on the previous build when it was in the accident that destroyed it.

I am not planning to to a complete build journal. Much of what I am doing is based on the plans for the Wyoming Woody, and the build in Scott’s Workshop. Of course, the trolley top and integrated tongue box are modifications of my own which do complicate things a lot when you get to the roof structure, but I’m just treating them like an extra set of walls.

I’ll try to post some pictures when a significant amount of assembly is completed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:11 am

jeresci, i'm joining in w/ the group following your trolly top build

i attend several different types of events involving many different games w/ tnttt stuff being on the front burner much of the time

something i have noticed in the boatbuilding/saiing world are "deck plates" which are 2 piece units that get screwed into a round hole in a wooden surface and the center can be unscrewed to allow thru access to a given space

there are now on the market several sizes of round deck plates w/ clear screw in centers

some of the folks who sail and boat/beach camp have begun installing these plates from the inside of their small cabins(smaller than the ave TD) to allow natural light into the cabin and by unscrewing them they get a bit of breeze/air flow

one builder laid a piece of insect screen over the hole as he set the unit in place and now not only has light and breeze he has insect protection

here is a link to one source offering 4" 5" and 6" plates/ports

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/sd- ... parent.htm

here'za pic from the outside of an older application

thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg (224.44 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

and here'za pic from the inside

inside view.jpeg
inside view.jpeg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 2714 times

hope i'm knot too late w/ the information for you to consider it

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126