Bear's Lair

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Bear's Lair West Texas

Postby Nobes » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Weather strip from Frank Bear and from the auto parts store. With the gaps between the hatch and galley wall, I needed the big stuff. I put some pieces on the edges of the too short hurricane hinge as well. I am truly not confident this is going to keep the galley dry. We'll see.

Quilt, pillows, stuff sacks from the lovely and gracious Mrs. Nobes. I AM confident the cabin and her beautiful work will stay dry.

The offending screw from the 'support piece' I tried to install at the bottom of the inner hatch 'box.' A new screw is shown for illustrative purposes only. The SS Frustration was about to be burned to the ground at this point.

New locks in place, kinda hard to see here sorry, but they're not much to look at so...

Test drive!

If you over look allthe stuff that didn't work, that's a pretty good looking trailer. I was going for practical and attractive but not a work of art. Yeah, that's what I got.

And now you are up to date.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby plectrudis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 am

Hurrah! Pix!

Your prose is delightful, Nobes, it's just that visualizing all the details is a challenge to my imagination.

I'm so pleased that you got the Good Ship Frustration campable in time for your trip--I hope you guys have a lovely time.

The profile looks terrific, the color's great, it looks beautifully square and watertight, and of course the brake lights are awesome--I love how they spell out the word "STOP" for the benefit of people unclear on the concept. You might not think it's perfect (are they ever?) but you should be really proud of what you accomplished in such a short space of time, especially having never done it before. Not to mention that you were willing to stretch yourself and learn/expand on so many skills.

And I'm agog that Mrs Nobes sewed you a quilt. It looks so complex with all the swirly patterns and all the rectangular pieces that she had to keep parallel. You guys are a very talented and expeditious couple!

Enjoy your vacation & be sure to take some time to gloat smugly a little.

:wine:
plectrudis
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:32 pm

We had a great time in New Mexico. The weather was perfect--highs in low 80s, lows in high 50s. The TD did great on the road & at the campground. There is not enough engineer in me to count all the people who stopped to ask questions, look, and take pictures but there were a LOT. And that was fun.

This was our first time to camp in an "RV Park" and I halfway expected a gravel lot even after seeing the pictures on the web. We had other RVs quite close to us but our spot was right on the little creek, tree-shaded, and very nice. We were surprised at how friendly people were and how many stopped to talk--that never happened while tent camping. My thought is this is due to the uniqueness of the TD and the fact that there were just tons of people crammed into a small area. And tiny yappy dogs. They were everywhere. I think most were named "Precious."

The only difference from my Wednesday test drive was, after loading the truck and camper, the hitch sat pretty low to the ground. While in NM we turned the hitch over, raising the height of the ball, and coming home the distance from the hitch to the road was much better.

I was afraid of all kinds of problems as we left town--none of them happened. The lovely and gracious Mrs. Nobes laughed at my list of worries. I'm very glad she was right. As usual. We have still not been water tested, but everything rode great in the galley. I'm a bit more optimistic today than I was last week about potential water leaks in the galley.

My 'punch list' is: tighten up a ceiling joint/seam, bumper/move license plate, build/install cabinet doors, drip rail over the doors, tally up all the costs, repairs to glass (drips, etc) (take it from very average to pretty good), rebuild the galley, and get it clearcoated.

My list for this week: Nada. Zip. Zero. OK, 1 thing: get you some pics of the trip.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:07 pm

Pictures!

Our neighbor at the campsite. He tried to kill some fish all weekend, and finally got these monsters Monday morning. Really enjoyed this guy and his dad

The Bears' Lair

The neighbors next door gave us these led lights

New Mexico scenery

Awesome handiwork by the lovely and gracious Mrs. Nobes
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:55 am

2nd trip is in the books. We had another great weekend in Ruidoso, NM. This weekend was "Old Lincoln Days" in Lincoln, NM, where legend says Billy the Kid got his start. If you're ever in SE NM, you ought to take a walk through this place--tons of buildings from the 1800s, it's a very interesting piece of the history of the American West. You don't just happen to be in Lincoln, you have to go there on purpose, but it is worth the drive.

Once again the TD towed well and got tons of compliments at stops on the road and at the campground. The campsite was nice, and it was great just to be outside in cool weather. And, I finally got my water test. We had several rains and we stayed dry. Except, of course, the time I left the vent open during some pretty heavy afternoon rain. I won't make that mistake again. Other than that, I'm proud to say the Bear's Lair performed excellently.

Since the first trip July 4 I've had a 'punch list' of items to finalize and my lazy butt has done next to nothing. We have a big event at the house next weekend, so this week my time will be spent getting ready for that but after that I'm back on the fast track to get these items done. We have a Labor Day trip and that starts football season so we'll be traveling quite a bit until early December.

The top things on the punch list are cabinet doors, bumper, fixing problems in the fiberglass, and clearcoat. I have completed my interior cabinet doors, and had two of them hung for this trip. After looking at them all weekend I think I am starting over. My doors sit on top of the cabinets, and they just seem kind of clunky. So, I'm going to disassemble and re-work them to be inset in the face frames, resulting (hopefully) in a cleaner, sleeker look.

The bumper shouldn't be that hard, I already have all the hardware and materials, so I just need some hours to get it done. Cut two pieces of alder, glue them together, create/rout the inset for the license plate and lights, sand/finish, bolt it on, run wires, install the lights and the license plate, done.

I have gone back and forth on the glass repairs. I have some drips and lines where my cloth doubled up, and they bug the fire out of me. The lovely and gracious Mrs. Nobes says leave 'em, but I can't stand it. So, I have decided to take one area and tackle that as a test. If I can make a real improvement I'll do the rest. I have enough resin for the test, so I'll wait to buy more until I know that I can made a difference.

Happy Camping, y'all!
Nobes
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 am

Trip 3 (Labor Day at Canyon Lake, TX) is done...4 is next weekend.

All that stuff I said I needed to do in the last post? Yeah, I still need to do all that. The lovely and gracious Mrs. Nobes has me working on her house right now.

During the drive I finally got it weighed: 1460 pounds, fully loaded for camping.

We had some good discussion about the galley re-build. The biggest new idea was: What if we take out the planned space for the ice chest? When we get to a camp site it comes out and sits on the ground for easy access to what's inside it. So, why not install shelves with doors, or more drawers, on that side of the galley? The ice chest can travel in the truck. We find that the countertop gets cluttered quickly, so if we had more storage in that spot then we can find things faster and look better in the process. Some new ideas to percolate on--more work for that "pondering chair," one of my favorite places.

We had some more rain, and since last time there were a few small leaks with the hatch open this time I closed it pretty quickly. Unfortunately, this time the leaks were even worse! No idea why. I will look hard at all the weatherstripping to make sure it is attached property, and the caulk/silicone at the top of the hurricane hinge. On the plus side, it still tows well and gets compliments everywhere we go. I can't wait to see what kind of comments we get when the exterior glass is finished and is looking really sharp.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm

It was a good fall for the Bear's Lair. There were several summer trips to Ruidoso, where it was just beautiful. Then we had several trips to Waco for football games, then we moved to Dallas. The TD is stored in a garage at my daughter's apartments in Frisco--I live in McKinney. I drive about 20-25 minutes to work on it. Eventually it will be at our house but we have to get a shop built in the back yard first, and the HOA and the city are giving me fits, so ... the TD is in Frisco.

I have a trip planned to Missouri, 4 nights camping at a trout stream, in mid-April, so it is time to get back to work on the finish. I still have bare fiberglass, no varnish or other UV protectant. My plan all along has been to have it clearcoated at an auto body shop, but I've checked that out thoroughly and it is just going to be way too expensive. Yesterday I bought what I hope is enough Epifanes marine varnish to cover the whole thing. Here's hoping I can put a nice finish on that will look good. Finishing has always been the weakest part of my woodworking repertoire.

I have sanded down the substantial 'ridge' I had on the sides where the 6" 'glass cloth strip covered the joint between the sides and top. However, my sides also have pretty bad 'orange peel' in the 'glass. I have been sanding on that for a while. Today I did more research and found that 'glass people out there say to use 60-80 grit sandpaper on this stuff. Wow. I've been using 150 and 180, and feared that was too aggressive. I don't have any 60, but I have some 100 so tonight I will break that out and use it. I've made a lot of progress on one side, and hopefully that side will be done tonight. Next, I'll hit the other side with the 100 and hopefully it will take a lot less time to get through the orange peel. I have some light sanding to do on the hatch and roof--just a wee bit of roughness there not really orange peel. Saturday I want to apply a coat of epoxy--a smooth coat this time--then let it sit till Monday.

So here's the plan:
1. Sand, sand, sand. Then sand some more.
2. more epoxy, wait a few days, then light sanding to prep for varnish
3. While waiting for new epoxy to cure, get the LED lites in the galley installed
4. take off old hurricane hinge--when I installed my hatch last June the hurricane hinge was too short, and I've had leaking because of that. I've purchased more hinge and will replace the old too short one
5. varnish
6. install new hurricane hinge
7. install trim on wall-roof joint
8. install trim to cover a bad plywood roof joint in the front curve of the TD
9. install vintage technologies fenders*
10. Trip to MO

*A few months ago I decided I had to get my wheels outboard of the TD body. On my last trip, when I got home I noticed pieces of the tire tread on one tire were ripped off the tire, right in the center. At first I thought it was defective HF tire, then I realized no, the tire hit the underside of the deck. I'm surprised I didn't have a blowout. So I paid to get that done. For the price of that job plus fenders plus what I paid for a HF trailer, I could have had a very, very nice custom 5x9 trailer. Word to wise. The good news is I now have nice 15" tires.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

The 100 grit sandpaper worked great. I hit each side, cleaned it up with acetone, soapy water, and a tack cloth, then applied more epoxy. I rolled it on with a 4" foam roller, used a small foam brush to get up close to doors, lights, and trim, then used a bondo spreader to smooth it out. While the sides are still not great, they are much improved. We'll see what they look like when they are dry. I hate that they are not smooth & slick like furniture, but I'm afraid this is the best I can do. If I do the auto body shop option (see below) I hope this situation will improve. No idea if it will or not, but I know it won't if I do the varnish myself.

One little 'benefit' of working at the apartment garage is there is no room to work inside so I have to pull the TD out to do anything, then of course put it back in when I am done. So, I am getting lots of backing practice. Just tryin to look on the sunny side...

Due to a recent hailstorm which dinged up my truck pretty good, I might have enough $ to get the TD clear coated after all. I will check at 2 body shops in frisco tomorrow for quotes--one in McKinney last week said $700. After hauling it out to get quotes, I will get to work on getting my LED galley lights installed better and see if I can clear up some other little galley issues. I still have that 'eventually re-build the galley' idea in the back of my mind. I also need to install the upper middle cabinet door (which is completed and ready to go) and new latches for all 3 doors. Saturday I will do a very light finish sand on the sides, with a 400 grit sanding sponge, finish up galley & cabinets, and clean the top then decide if it needs any sanding/additional epoxy coats before the final topcoat goes on. Then Monday either start varnishing or take it to the body shop.

My fenders showed up today, so as soon as I solve the final topcoat question I am ready to add all the trim, including the new hurricane hinge, and the fenders.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm

In storage in a family member's garage after moving to McKinney...note the wheels.

I got a new axle and 15" tires. ,the guy also welded my HF frame together and added this square tube to strengthen the tongue.

New tires. I have fenders to add after topcoat is applied.

Third cabinet door FINALLY installed. Also installed eye & hook latches to hold the doors closed while driving. Maybe everything will stay in the cabinets now while in transit!

Sanding...prep for one more coat of epoxy, then topcoat.

How she looks right now.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:23 pm

Trips last fall--Labor Day at Canyon Lake, after a football game in Waco.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby noseoil » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 am

Looking good Nobes! Looks like the punch list is much shorter now. New Mexico is a very nice place to camp, we enjoy it when we're there. The Hatch Chili Festival is a lot of fun to visit in the fall, if you get there. Stop at Sparky's for the best chili-cheese burger on earth if you go there, it's amazing. The Gila Hot Springs is also a great place to visit, but it's in the western part of the state. Lots of places to see & lots to do as well. Take the road from Lake Roberts if you go (from the east), the road over the mountain which is "shorter" is a white knuckler with too many switchbacks & 15 mph at places.

With our 4 cylinder Nissan, the camper shell, a full load in back & the trailer in place, our backside was beginning to sag a bit from the load on longer trips. Your 6 cylinder might be a bit better in the spring department. We did some Firestone airbags on the rear axle & it helped a bunch with the ride. I just load the truck & use a stick as a "feeler gauge" between the rear tires & fender well, then use a bicycle pump to level the ride out again. Works great, so take a look at this option if you start adding more weight or a camper shell at some point.

Again, great job on the build. We've had the same experience, every place we go people pass up on looking at the "spendy" rigs & want to see our teardrop. We've met some truly great people out camping.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Nobes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Nose oil! One of my favorite 'handle' stories on this site.

I have been to Gila, backpacking several years ago. That was a great trip. Even though there had been a recent fire, it was still beautiful. I have truly enjoyed my trips to NM. Scenery, great temps at elevation, and friendly people.

Some of the best burgers I have found in my travels are the 'onion burgers' famous in NM & OK. Lots of places offer them, I've never had a bad one.

Thanks for the tip on the air bags. I've seen those on Fast n Loud on tv, so I associate them with hot rods. I had not thought about their utility on a plain ole truck. Interesting.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm one of those guys who is never satisfied with his own work. This morning I gave my sides a once-over with 400 grit sandpaper then cleaned them with a tack cloth. I worked on the wiring for my LED lights in the galley and didn't get it finished--I needed a tool that was In a box somewhere, didn't want to take the 45 minute it would take to find it, so I decided the best thing was to stop, get the right tools to do it right instead of doing something half way. Then I took the TD to the body shop for clear coating. They're going to do some more work on sanding the defects out of my sides, & they will install my fenders for me. We held the fenders up in place and man they are going to look great.

My cabinet door eye bolt latches didn't work. Disappointed. I need to just take the doors off, cut them down to fit inside the face frame, and then I will have lots of choices for locks/closures.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Delete post
Last edited by Nobes on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:57 pm

The little garage at my daughters' apartment complex. A great place to stash the TD but not a great place to work, as all has to be done in the parking lot.

Plus it's a 25 minute drive from my house.
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:36 pm

Nobes wrote:147609
The little garage at my daughters' apartment complex. A great place to stash the TD but not a great place to work, as all has to be done in the parking lot.

Plus it's a 25 minute drive from my house.
  • Maybe that won't be a bad thing, if your daughter supports your project, and you enjoy working on it there, possibly with her helping you.
  • I started my build by taking my trailer frame to my friend's shop at his home, 50 miles from my house (and 88 miles direct from my work to his shop, so I only did that twice, after a long workday). His schedule and mine hardly ever meshed, so fully 1/2 of the weekends that I could be there, he could not; and when they did mesh, less than half my time there would be on my trailer project, but instead, working on shop projects (his shop was race-car heaven, where all our racing team members would gather to build cars, and also brought their problem vehicles there to fix). I was a long-time member of his/our racing club, but had quit due to overwork at the job, fear of layoffs at the job (made me reluctant to spend many thousands a year on my race-car and travel expenses of racing-drag racing-), and pressure from the wife to quit, as well. Part of the reason he offered to help me (he was a master mechanic & welder; I gladly accepted the help offer), was partly to lure me back to be #2 in our club, again (I was the logistics guy, and recruiter in part).
  • That said, I was only able to put in few hours on the project on each occasion (when I could, after other projects and people had left the shop for the night); I was working there alone until he kicked me out after midnight, many times. Still, I always felt I should've already finished my trailer, long before.Then, finally, I had the doors and hatches on, and pulled it home.
  • I was grateful to him for his help, his superior tools, his welding (I was not experienced enough), his workspace, and friendship, but it put a strain on our friendship, that set us apart, after that.
  • My job stabilized shortly after that, and my new responsibilities made me more indispensable at work than before (my experimental production plant closed, after all, but instead of being laid-off, I was put in charge of shipping/receiving for the main plant-I had started out there 40 years before, and had always helped that dept. whenever I could, so I was a logical choice-); so, my last few years of working life had a sure future, therefore I could've returned to racing, but I had felt so pressured by my mentor and my old racing team to come back, I just felt alienated, and declined. We haven't spoken in years. My Chevelle sits in the garage, unused, collecting dust.
  • I hope that having to work on your trailer at her place doesn't impose hardships on you or your daughter, nor make your working on the trailer a chore, but that probably isn't any where near to what my situation was. After I started to finish the trailer at home, it still took me 9 more months, but I experimented with new ways to do things-my way-, and added features that I knew he wouldn't approve of (after all, he was my mentor), but I enjoyed being able to work on it whenever I wanted to, or if i had an idea in a dream, I could test it then and there. Building it became fun, again.Hope your build will be fun for you, too.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals