Dusty Mark's 5 x 10 Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Dusty Mark's 5 x 10 Build

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks! That seemed to be when it leaked. I'll search those threads and give it a try.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby Mushin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:19 pm

That's what it's all about! Using what you worked so hard on, and continuously modifying it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby retep » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:41 am

You Have been an inspiration to me and I am sure many others. Just a excellent example of what can be done with a little care and patience. Said it before, Thank You for sharing your build. I am wrapping up my kitchen reno. and I think I will be targeting a teardrop trailer as soon as time permits. You have just a very high quality build. There are so many things in your build that you thought of and you graciously shared with us. The sofa bed is going to be a must for us, as the Mrs has already built that into the requirements. Amazing fit and finish.

Heading down this morning to Letchworth State Pk in NY for a few days with some friends in their pop up. http://nysparks.com/parks/79/details.aspx. May meander over to Watkins Glen for a day to see what it is like for this fall or next year.

Wishing you many days of happiness and travel.
Kindest Regards Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 am

Peter,

You're welcome. I'm glad that you've found my build journal helpful.

I'm confident that you'll be happy with the sofa. We had 24 hours of straight rain and thunderstorms during our last trip and the sofa kept us comfortable in the cabin for hours on end. I went with 2" of memory foam laminated to 2" of V44 foam from Foam Order. I wish we had increased it to 3" of memory foam with the 2" of V44 foam. We'll be adding another inch of memory foam whenever the upholstery starts to look worn!

Thanks,
Mark
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Raised the A-Frame Jack 1 3/4"

Postby Dusty Mark » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:34 pm

I bought the smallest A-frame jack I could find and it still rode too low to the ground while towing. This could cause some damage while towing if the car and trailer got in different planes while maneuvering across something steep. My brother convinced me that I should build a spacer to raise it up a bit.

Three layers of Baltic birch scrap provide a means to raise the jack another 1 3/4" from the road.

Here's the final product after sanding, two liberal coats of CPES, and two coats of black paint.

I dislike folding tongue jacks, so making this A-frame jack work was a priority. I believe that it's raised up high enough now and this dense spacer will easily hold the static tongue weight. Another post-build item completed on my punch list...
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:32 pm

Looks solid to me. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Stove Wind Deflector

Postby Dusty Mark » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Winds crippled the stove on our second trip. I built a wind deflector of scrap .060" aluminum from the roof. The first step was to build brackets to support the shield on the sides of the stove.

This piece is 1" by 2". 3/8" is exposed for the first bend.

I used a dead blow mallet to bend it 90 degrees.

I wanted about a 1/2" shelf. This scrap of 1/2" plywood makes a great bending form for the second bend. Here I used it to mark the second bend.

Positioned for the second bend.

Second bend complete.

Four brackets complete that look pretty much the same.

Bracket installed on side of stove.

Two-sided wind deflector complete.
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Nice work there. Let us know how it works for you.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Stove Wind Deflector Works

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 pm

We set up at a lakeshore campsite today that had good winds and the deflector worked well!
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: Stove Wind Deflector Works

Postby ELM » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 am

Dusty Mark wrote:We set up at a lakeshore campsite today that had good winds and the deflector worked well!

Thanks for letting us know.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:44 am

Wow read through your whole log tonight, Super build, Nice attention to detail and some really simple and clever ideas came together to make a wonderful Teardrop.

I'm sure it will last for ever and give you many of years of enjoyment.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dusty Mark » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Terry,
Thanks a lot. We're enjoying a three-night trip 40 miles from home. Camped on a beautiful lakeshore at a sportsmen's club we joined. We're enjoying the teardrop lifestyle.
Mark
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby stephent » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:08 pm

Good looking build. I would recommend looking at those gas pipe hangers again if they are aluminium. (stainless is good though) Line them with a thin plastic like a milk jug to keep the alum from touching the black iron LP pipe. Or use some old fashioned friction tape to wind around the pipe where it goes thru the hangers. Or maybe several layers of electrician vinyl tape. Something..
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dusty Mark » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:25 pm

stephent,

Is dissimilar metal corrosion your concern with the aluminum contacting the black pipe? I only used one of those clamps and it's pretty easy to reach to put a piece of plastic between it and the pipe to prevent it...
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Postby stephent » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:44 pm

yes, dissimilar metals problems, but with LP flowing thru it "could" remove inside metal faster then outside and you not see it/and or it can cause rust inside. Small minute voltages induced by dissimilar metals do funny stuff sometimes.
Easy to fix.....a piece of old bicycle tube or tire even.. something that could be gorilla glued/epoxied tween the pipe and the hanger? An inner tube may not even need to be glued since it's soft enuff to grab. But I would use something...for rubbing resistance as well.
I'm a worry-wort about propane going places it ain't supposed to be.
stephent
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals