Truck camper build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Truck camper build

Postby rodtermaat » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

and the rest

IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG (104.03 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG (110.64 KiB) Viewed 2243 times

Almost forgot to thank the poster of the GAMMA lid windows. I am using them as ports to access the area between the camper and the truck bed. I plan to mount the turn buckles there to secure the camper like the Four Wheel Camper do. rod
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:13 pm

I have made some progress since the last post. The wing extensions are on and the front wall is built. I am working on the rear walls (by the tailgate). I plan to build a wiley window in the front wall to give me some rear view abilities. Tomorrow I will build the other side of the rear wall and begin to add insulation. My goal for this weekend is to complete most of the lower section build, and then do the finish work in the evenings after work. Got a bunch of work travel coming up over the net couple of weeks so progress will be slow. That's good because I have no idea how to build the foam upper section or how to lift and lower it once built....help

In these pics you will see I got the camper off the trailer and onto some ghetto dollies. I guess being from Nebraska it should be red neck dollies. They are harbor freight furniture dollies (4 of them). I paired them up with 2 2X6's. I also built a sliding cooler drawer type thing.

IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (100.23 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

IMG_1824.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG (108.65 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 pm

This weekend was dedicated to building a Wiley (ish) window on the front of the camper to give some rear view window access. It was a fun and challenging process which I decided to document separately for all to judge as learn what not to do.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=66520

I also managed to glue down the lower tracks for the sliding storage doors. These will be 1/4 plywood and provide some storage for out of the way items.
IMG_1858.JPG
IMG_1858.JPG (110.5 KiB) Viewed 2140 times

This week I hope to finish the window and make some progress on the sliders. I have decided on a removable chuck box above the cooler. It should provide some basis storage and cooking inside, but is primarily to be taken our of the camper and used outdoors. Now I just need to find some decent plans.

thanks for reading along. rod
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:35 pm

A lot of progress has been made since my last post.

The lower half is getting close to finished - at least the core. The sides are up and some insulation has been installed. The basic wiring is in for both 120 and 12v. I ended up having to add a top brace over the door as it was 1" wider in the back than in the front of the camper. I was able to move it to within 1/4". This will make entering the camper a pain with such a short door, but I could not determine how to correct the deviation. Essentially, I was out of square on the right hand side of the door as the camper was flexing outward. The electric actuators should be at home today after work and I will be working on the figuring out the mechanics of a hardside lifting top section. I decided to work out the mechanics before building the top - not something I am famous for....

Next up.
Install all the 12V bits I have been collecting over the last few weeks
Build door - need to find a good thread on this.
Finish table / bed extension - using some walnut for this and in process
Set up actuators to lift in concert
Build top
Go camp

That last one is still a scary step since I have 0 experience with foam construction, but I continue to read all the threads daily.

camp1.png
camp1.png (529.25 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

camp2.png
camp2.png (482.46 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

camp3.png
camp3.png (528.35 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby ELM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 pm

It's looking great and keep the pictures coming. :thumbsup:
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Took last Friday off and worked on the camper. I have officially reached that point of questioning my sanity and ability.

First I wired the 12 volt system using some diagrams and forum posts and the zero skill that I possess. Amazingly all of the various outlets and fuses appear to work.

I have a 6 fuse box that is wired as
1. Battery voltage meter
2. USB ports (x2)
3. Cig ports (x2)
4. Actuators
5. Future vent fan
6. Future dome light or?
7. Should have order the 12 bank model - grrr.

Next I installed the actuators and wired that little gem. Essentially there is 1 line from the battery to the switch and then the switch is daisy chained to each actuator around the camper. I decided to forgo the remote control wiring until a later date and my brain would not process the extra wire schematics.

Finally, I built a collapsible table out of some scrap walnut and cherry I had in the shop. It still needs some work to increase the stability when deployed. In the stowed position it builds out more the sleeping area making it full width to almost our hips. Not sure if we plan to widen the leg portion - probably do a test run or 2 before decisions are made.

Believe it or not that finishes the lower half for now. Of course there is always some fiddling to do, but I plan to keep it open until we start using it and determine what works for us and what needs changing.

Next steps - begin the roof work.

camp5.png
camp5.png (522.5 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

camp6.png
camp6.png (580.64 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Here is what we expect to use for the mess kit for now. Just the cooler and the REI food thing. I do not see it as a long term solution, but will as least get us out there.

Here is the door frame under way. Finally decided to just build this out like my house exterior door since it will be 80% covered when the camper is down for traveling. I built the threshold out of some scrap cherry and the frame and stops in pine. Need to build out the door next.

camp7.png
camp7.png (571.12 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

camp8.png
camp8.png (354.51 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:46 pm

nice set up looks comfortable I like the seats and looks like you thought it out.

I almost made my first teardrop into a truck camper until I got a free trailer. I always had the dream of pulling with the truck (I pull with a corolla) and building a rising cap in the back that would hold a shower and potty. That way the trailer was the base camp and the truck had the facilities where ever I drove as I got older.
How do you make it raise up. crank or push and pin :thinking:

Like what you have done.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Working on the upper half now. I first started with routing a channel in the side panels that will attach to the actuators and well as provided the seal when the top half is lowered for travel, stealth, and poor weather.

camp9.png
camp9.png (657.61 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

camp10.png
camp10.png (630.36 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

camp12.png
camp12.png (683.52 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 pm

My personal commentary on what a sad state of affairs it is that somehow it is more economical to ship wood from New Zealand to Nebraska than somewhere more local.

camp11.png
camp11.png (522.42 KiB) Viewed 1911 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:20 pm

I next mounted the side panels to the actuators and tested that they moved up and down as expected. Success and a #%$@ moment. Now I have to actually figure out the whole roof thing.

camp13.png
camp13.png (566.96 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

camp14.png
camp14.png (475.97 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

camp15.png
camp15.png (575.43 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:27 pm

Well it's not going to build itself. Therefore I started with some profiles.

profile1.png
profile1.png (363.84 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

This one would be impossible for me to do given my tools and talent. Non starter.
profile2.png
profile2.png (365.39 KiB) Viewed 1897 times

This one looks like a winner? This should ensure a solid connection?
profile3.png
profile3.png (686.54 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:33 pm

Now a question post. The roof will be 80" wide by almost 96" long. I at least want to have a vent fan and a dome light above to start with. Eventually some upper cabinets would be nice, but most likely an add on later? I assume that I need some rafters like I have seen in other foam builds. I am using 1 1/2" foam. Should these rafters run from side to side? I would seem like front to back would be too long for a 1X2 to span without substantial deflection? Is there a link to another build you can think of that I should check out?
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby rodtermaat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Not a ton of progress the last couple of weeks. Work and class are firing up at the same time which leaves little time for camper building. Anyway I managed to get the rest of the sides on the camper, and with some creative clamping the ends went only a little fuse.

IMG_1985.JPG
IMG_1985.JPG (101.39 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Here is a pic of the upper door framing. I am pretty sure this is going to be a lift up, making a small awning, and not an upper door like the real Alaskan.

IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

And finally a glamour shot of our dog Daisy as she enjoys a few of the last days of summer.

IMG_1995.JPG
IMG_1995.JPG (150.53 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
nebraska rod
www.rodtermaat.com
rodtermaat
Teardrop Builder

Postby mp43sniper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 am

Any updates on this interesting build?
Craig
My truck camper project:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=57275