DaBearSox Weekender Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: DaBearSox Weekender Build

Postby MadMango » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:47 pm

Looks clean and tidy!
MadMango
"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating." ~Quentin Stafford-Fraser

You can see my design planning, The Mobile Mango.
You can follow my TTT build here, The Mobile Mango
MadMango
Teardrop Master

Postby DaBearSox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Too damn cold to work on it today. So I recreated it in digital form. Should help the rest of the build...or at least pass time while its 2 degrees. Sketchup is a real cool program, takes a bit to figure out though. Big shout out to Ryan at http://teardropbuilder.com/ for the trailer sketchup....saved a huge amount of time....

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Got some more work done on the CAD design...looks like the build wont pick back up til spring. Not sure why sketchup exported the pictures like that...

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:02 pm

So I have also been thinking a lot about the galley area. I want, and have purchased two slide out shelves for the cooler and water container that will be located on the floor of the galley. Having one hatch with the turn in point may lead to some problems with this. If I create one lifting hatch if it rains the turn of the bottom will drain right onto my back. I do plan on carting around a canopy that will be placed over the galley for the most part however I am thinking it may be easier and a better layout if I create a raising hatch to the edge of the galley end and then make two swing open doors to reveal the pull outs. They could also incorporate shelving that could be used while cooking. Thoughts?
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:20 pm

The cold weather broke for a few days above what titebond III needs to properly cure so I got a little more work done. Bulkhead installed as well as the start of the interior back shelving. Not the greatest pictures but you get the idea.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CBS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:24 pm

love your build so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CBS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DaBearSox » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 am

Panorama of the interior. Got some painting done. Left some unpainted for future glue ups.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Kool pic! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DaBearSox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Got the next 2 days off and it's supposed to be in the high 60s here. Time to knock some more out! Got the rough rendering of the galley done in sketchup. The cooler, water, and stove are on sliding shelves most of the other openings will be covered with a cabinet door.

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Hottest day ever in February in Colorado yesterday so I got some good work put in. Interior is about 95% finished now. Just need to finish the paint, put up ceiling, attach the cabinet doors.

sans cabinet doors

w/ doors

full interior
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Build still chugging along... My interior is basically done at this point with exception to fixtures and ceiling! Spent the last couple weeks finishing and painting wood and getting stuff installed.

Stained trim boards and galley work top with silver-grey aniline wood dye, then coated with polycrylic.

Stained cabinet frames and trim with the same dye, and coated as well.

Attached running boards to hold up work top (will have extra reinforcement). Finished galley with white and coated in polycrylic.

Started to attach my sliding shelves for my cooler and water container.

Bottom sliders finished.

Completed front

Completed back. TV will go in the middle. I chose to have the cabinets open in rather than out, would not be able to open fully and didn't want to ding up the walls too much.

Full interior
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Galley is getting there!

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby glenn201 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:09 pm

looks nice great job
glenn201
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaBearSox » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Got the galley pretty much finished up the last few days. To be honest the most time consuming part of this whole project is finishing surfaces. Next up will be securing my tongue box to the front of the trailer and framing around it. It is a box with a drop down front door so I am planing to have it butt up against the front and build a frame around it basically right in front of where my head will be lying down. Then its on to the ceiling and insulation. I am putting off the hatch till last and I am a little afraid its going to be tough! haha...because of the shape of the weekender I am planning on having a hatch over diagonal decline over the work top and then having two swing open doors for the bottom part. Hopefully i can figure it out and get it to seal tight.

POWER WORKS!
DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DaBearSox » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:08 pm

So its been a little while since I have posted with some updates so here we go. Over the past couple of months I have gotten a good amount done and I can feel the end in sight! I didn't take too many pics of the front end build out so I can add a drop down tongue box but you can see it in the picture below, well at least the outside. The last week or so I have been working on the exterior finishing....probably the most time consuming mostly because waiting for cures and drying so I could recoat. I fiberglassed the roof and front end exterior panels and have to say I did a pretty good job for my first time glassing with epoxy. I got pretty transparent on most of the teardrop and most of the bumps were from runs in the fiberglass and i noticed after it was too late. I am really happy with the exterior outcome. The sidewalls were not glassed but I did add a couple more layers of my duckworks epoxy. After the epoxy cured I added four more layers of spar urethane for UV protection and that added barrier. I started the first coat using a high quality brush...let me tell you so much time! So I decided to go against what I had read and used a west systems epoxy roller to spread on the urethane. Yes it bubbled but it gave me an even coat. My solution to this was to use a cheap foam brush to tip off the bubbles in smaller sections so they would not harden on the surface...Sure glad I tried that method because it probably saved me a day or so. As you can see I went with a satin spar rather than gloss....hides some issues and I like the flatter look.

Started the epoxy

hatch

Finished product after the spar

front end with the tongue box

hatch end

DaBearSox
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals