Welcome to the "Learning Curve"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Welcome to the "Learning Curve"

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:06 pm

KCStudly wrote:I recommend that you skin the outside surface of your foam before applying the epoxy/FG.

I glassed directly over a combination of foam, light weight spackle filler and guide coat primer, and had (am still having) troubles... small areas of lack of adhesion and some hand sized blistering (puffed out areas as if something was still out gassing... which I will need to drill and see if I can get to lay back down and adhere using the syringe method.

KC,

Thanks for stopping by and offering advice. If $50 worth of 1/8" ply is the answer to all the problems you have been having I am all for it - hang the weight. I am curious, though, if you know which bond layer(s) failed for you. Foam to spackle, spackle to primer, or primer to epoxy. What brands were you using? I am using Dow Blue Styrofoam and Raka Inc non-blushing epoxy resin and hardener.

Lou
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:14 am

I used the blue foam, West System, forget which spackle at the moment ("light weight" vynil... may have been DAP) and Rustolem rattle can. Not sure if the problem is related to sub surface GS or GG. I used GG for letting in all of my blocking and I used GS in a couple places for gouge filler. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, neither of those directly correlate to the puffy areas. The strange thing is the puffy areas didn't show up until literally year(s) after I stopped working on it in earnest.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:00 pm

KCStudly wrote:I used the blue foam, West System, forget which spackle at the moment ("light weight" vynil... may have been DAP) and Rustolem rattle can. Not sure if the problem is related to sub surface GS or GG. I used GG for letting in all of my blocking and I used GS in a couple places for gouge filler. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, neither of those directly correlate to the puffy areas. The strange thing is the puffy areas didn't show up until literally year(s) after I stopped working on it in earnest.

I talked about your concerns with a friend of mine who restores small aircraft and has done quite a bit of fiberglass work. He does not use Dow Styrofoam but rather an open-cell foam. He agreed with you that another layer of 1/8" ply over the blue foam would be a good idea so that is the current plan. I've just got to seal it all very well since the 1/8" birch ply I have available to me does not have a waterproof binder.
Last edited by Lou.Catozzi on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:11 am

Howdy, crosstown neighbor. Congratulations on your retirement. Now that your time is your own, you'll have this project done in a teardrop-time jiffy.

Thanks for the major update. Looking good! You do nice work. I especially like the A/C ductwork. It follows the same approach I used, only done better. :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Lou.Catozzi » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:03 pm

capnTelescope wrote:I especially like the A/C ductwork. It follows the same approach I used, only done better. :thumbsup:

It's always easier (and certainly quicker for me) to see what someone else has done and tweek it than it is for me to come up with a particular design feature on my own.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

― Oscar Wilde
Lou.Catozzi
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals