Wee-Go

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Away Wee-Go

Postby working on it » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Good a/c install, but I see two possible problems that may help your long-term usage: 1.) your a/c cover lays flat on top of the upper chassis cooling vents (I read that they should not be covered, since heat rising from the compressor -not the exhaust- needs to exit there first), and 2.) unless you used some super-strong slide-outs, you might want to attach a support, of some kind, under the chassis. My internally installed a/c has full weight support, but my slide-out generator (which I thought was adequately supported) bent/broke its' slides. My fix for that is shown here:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59704 In your case, if you feel it would help, a simple shelf bracket, or a wooden wedge underneath would suffice. Good luck with your project!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bbrider » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:42 pm

working on it wrote:Good a/c install, but I see two possible problems that may help your long-term usage: 1.) your a/c cover lays flat on top of the upper chassis cooling vents (I read that they should not be covered, since heat rising from the compressor -not the exhaust- needs to exit there first), and 2.) unless you used some super-strong slide-outs, you might want to attach a support, of some kind, under the chassis. My internally installed a/c has full weight support, but my slide-out generator (which I thought was adequately supported) bent/broke its' slides. My fix for that is shown here:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59704 In your case, if you feel it would help, a simple shelf bracket, or a wooden wedge underneath would suffice. Good luck with your project!

My slide out brackets are rated at 100#. The ac unit weighs in at 41#. Also the slides are not fully extended in the out position. At most they are only extended 70%. I feel it will be enough since it will not be towed with the ac out anyway. Your fix is a great idea. I thought if I needed something I would make a expanding support to go down to the bumper. Pipe in a pipe with a jamb bolt to lock the length with a cross piece at the top for the ac to sit on sort of thing. Something I could stow in my tongue box.

As for the upper vents, there is still a little air gap when the door is down and with the fan pulling air in through the side vents right where the compressor is sitting to blow out the back I don't think that will be a problem. No bigger than the wee-go is I am more worried about short cycling and not being able to remove the condensation. I did run it for 15 minutes to see if it would make water and it did. No cycling either, but no windows and no door wouldn't allow it to cool down in there anyway so I really won't know anything till I get it buttoned up.

I did consider a shelf to help support it at one time and it would be pretty easy to make a support that I could put under it later if it looks like I need it. Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes even I can't see the forest for the tree's..LOL.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:53 pm

ELM wrote:That looks great. Getting it skinned will totally change the look of it. :thumbsup:

Thanks ELM!

We are looking at scatter shower here tomorrow and his shop is full with equipment and his hotrod build so I would have to be outside with the wee-go. I am not sure we will get to do it tomorrow. I have a 10' x 10' easy-up that we could set up to put the trailer under and I may do that if I can get over to his shop without getting rained on. We will see. Patience was never one of my virtues. LOL

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:32 pm

bbrider wrote:
ELM wrote:That looks great. Getting it skinned will totally change the look of it. :thumbsup:

Thanks ELM!

We are looking at scatter shower here tomorrow and his shop is full with equipment and his hotrod build so I would have to be outside with the wee-go. I am not sure we will get to do it tomorrow. I have a 10' x 10' easy-up that we could set up to put the trailer under and I may do that if I can get over to his shop without getting rained on. We will see. Patience was never one of my virtues. LOL

Are you gluing the aluminum on or floating it.
My Build journal. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65395
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 am

Are you gluing the aluminum on or floating it.
I am floating it. I plan to staple it around the edge for now and then cap with the aluminum angle top and sides. I cut diamond plate strips out of my tool box to put around the bottom. Those still need to be painted though.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 pm

Got the skin done on Thursday at my buddies sign shop. He has a powered brake and a sheer. He ordered my 5x10 .040 aluminum for me. 4 sheets was $246.08. We cut and broke the roof in one piece and then cut all the sides and ends. I shot the edge with 1/2" staples on all the pieces. done in 3 hours.
2016-11-03 14.20.27.jpg
2016-11-03 14.20.27.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

2016-11-03 15.08.48.jpg
2016-11-03 15.08.48.jpg (69.67 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

Got it home and started trying to do the cutouts. Router bit kept getting clogged up with the aluminum. Went to Harbor Freight and bought the electric shear. Rough cut out all the holes with it. Then used the router to finish trimming the edges around the hole. Spraying the router bit with wd40 seem to help stop the sticking too.
2016-11-04 12.00.59.jpg
2016-11-04 12.00.59.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

Tomorrow I will finish the AC hatch door. If I can find some help to hold the windows and door in place I will get those done as well. Then I can start the corner trim. I am getting excited to see this starting to come together. I was very happy with how it towed behind the jeep. It didn't bounce or sway and on Louisiana roads that is amazing!

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby retep » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:36 am

It is looking very good BBRider !!! Thanks for sharing your build. It is very motivating for me (and I am sure others) watching it come together.

Thanks Again
Peter
:thumbsup:
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:08 am

retep wrote:It is looking very good BBRider !!! Thanks for sharing your build. It is very motivating for me (and I am sure others) watching it come together.

Thanks Again
Peter

Thanks Peter! I am just trying to pay it forward.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:26 am

It looks great with the aluminum on it. :applause: I had the same problem with the router bit clogging up and ended up do what you did by trimming it close with an electric shear and then finishing it with a rotor. Guys on here have said that if you use a speed controller to slow down the rotor motor then the cutter won't clog up. I'll try this on the next build.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Long day! Started out installing my windows and door. That took almost three hours! I had problems getting the trim ring holes to line up with the window groove for the screws. I found it was much easier to install the trim ring on the work table first, then take it back off to install the window.

Then I installed the Fantastic Fan. Easiest thing I did today. Next I unpackaged the mattress. Then I went to work installing the sheeting and trim on the AC access door. Got that done and the door installed. Then I discovered my locking setup to lock the AC in place when stowed had pulled the angle on the AC loose on one side. Two steps forward one step back!

Removed the AC unit and carrier I built and fixed the aluminum angle back to the AC unit. Removed the latches and started over with a different arrangement. One trip to HD for 1" #8 bolts, washers, and lock nuts. Disassembled the carrier and added all the new parts. Then reinstall the AC. DONE!

Took a little break and decided to hang the curtains. Temporarily wired up the battery so I could test the fan. Noticed I had aluminum bits on the shelf so I started to vacuum that and when I bumped the wire block for the DC fuse block on the shelf my lights went out. Crap, now what. Got out the trusty phone and turned on the light so I could see and found I forgot to tighten the nut on the ground post. Tightened it and all is well. I opened the windows, turned on the fan, and layed down for a minute. 64* and the cool air coming in I could have went to sleep right there...LOL. I am getting close.
Now the boss {my wife} is after me to paint the aluminum angle I plan to cover the corners with black to match the diamond plate and trailer. She is also fighting me on putting the rain drip caps over the windows and door. I painted them black, but she thinks they look like chicken wings sticking out and wants me to leave them off. So they are off for now.

I am still considering using some black caulk around the windows and doors for extra protection. There is a slight gap 1/16" between the window lip and the skin. Not sure it is needed with the rubber gasket being mashed so tight, but it wouldn't hurt either I think. That is still up for debate too. Guess tomorrow I will start painting the aluminum angle. I just am not to sure how to cut it to length with mitered joints before the butal tape is installed. I am worried the tape will hold the angle up just enough to make the joints not close if I precut everything before installing the tape. If anyone can shed some light on that I would appreciate it. Anyway here are the pictures for the day.

2016-11-05 12.32.57.jpg
2016-11-05 12.32.57.jpg (58.2 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
Attachments
2016-11-05 21.42.27.jpg
2016-11-05 21.42.27.jpg (29.26 KiB) Viewed 2090 times
2016-11-05 21.04.10.jpg
2016-11-05 21.04.10.jpg (51.32 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:57 pm

All you need is a pillow in there. Maybe clear silicone around the window then wouldn't lose the clean black edge of the window.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Looking really good. :thumbsup:

Yup, if you do it, painter's masking tape about 1/16 inch away all the way around; apply clear sealer; wipe; and peel the tape for a nice clean install. No lumpy, ugly, smeared sealant allowed on such a clean build.

KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:45 pm

I bought black. I also bought painters tape. Maybe I should take the black back and get the clear. Thanks for the tip.

The boss said she wanted the aluminum corners painted white to match the skin. Her point was too much black would take away from it so I am now painting the corner trim white. I will have to touch up the cut ends probably. I am hoping to get it done this week.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby ELM » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Gotta keep the boss happy so the boss keeps you happy happy happy. :D Can't wait to see the teardrop done.
ELM
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:42 am

ELM wrote:Gotta keep the boss happy so the boss keeps you happy happy happy. :D Can't wait to see the teardrop done.

She can be pretty hard to keep happy too! We've been married 33 years. I painted the angle white, then I remembered all the screws I bought are black. So I took all 200 of them and stuck them in a piece of Styrofoam and painted them white too last night. I was planning on starting on the corner trim today, but it is raining and I have to work outside to cut the angle pieces.

The boss is starting to get more interested in my project too. She has crawled in and out of it several times. Now she is thinking adding a two part curtain and she is thinking we need something to cover the mattress better to protect it...LOL I told her those are the little details she should take care of. The only thing is she don't sew. That means I will be back at the sewing machine again doing a second set of curtains like I did the first set!

I keep thinking I am getting close to done, but now I am starting to see there really isn't a point where you say done. Just done for now....LOL. Or maybe ready for use, IDK.

I used butyl tape under the Fantastic fan and now I am wondering if I should get some of that white goop stuff they use on campers to pour over the screws and edge of the fan? What say you experts?

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals