Round nose hybrid build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Round nose hybrid build

Postby greygoos » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Came out very nice. Good luck
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Great news about having fun and doing your third trip...

Yes, suffocation is a worry in any small trailer/ camper, always sleep with a vent open or window.. It has happened to people. most were very lucky...
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:44 am

I thought humans do not produce carbon monoxide that can kill in sleep. Carbon dioxide exhailed by people will cause headaches and will wake people up when it's concentration is getting significantly higher than background normal air.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:05 am

OP827 wrote:I thought humans do not produce carbon monoxide that can kill in sleep. Carbon dioxide exhailed by people will cause headaches and will wake people up when it's concentration is getting significantly higher than background normal air.

OP827:

Can carbon dioxide kill you?
It can. high CO2 produces acidosis. When the CO2 gets high enough, it displaces O2 and can asphixiate you.
Carbon Dioxide doesn't kill people on it's own. High concentration of carbon dioxide and lack of oxygen can.

Example:
Two people in a small closed camper with no vents or windows open, only has so much oxygen. We breath in oxygen and produce carbon dioxide.
When there is a lack of oxygen, our brain tells us to breath deeper and faster. Which produces more carbon dioxide.
Eventually you are breathing in more carbon dioxide and less oxygen. When the oxygen in the camper runs out. The body stops to function.. From the lack of oxygen..

Link here on the forum: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=40667

Some people have been very lucky to wake up, though feeling dizzy and nauseous from the lack of oxygen... in some cases this is not the case.. and people have died..
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 am

Smarter Every day did this - based on asphyxiation and sure as heck never want to do it myself. you might wake up, and not know what you need to do to save yourself.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:26 am

Flatworm, I must say that your build is very practical and looking great, your persistence paid of. Congrats on finishing it. :applause: :applause: :applause:

May I ask a few questions to help me with my own build choices:
1. How are your modified design Wiley windows are performing so far? I like your inventive thinking there, cleaner look and no holes, overall easier to maintain and clean than traditional Wiley frame design. Have you been camping over a good rain or did some spray test (with garden hose) on them yourself? I am thinking of diy window ideas in my build too, except I got more of them to make.... What did you make the fly screens from (acrylic, painted/epoxied ply?) and glue to fix the frame and glass mesh screen?
2. Fairing and Painting... what exactly did you use for fairing, then undercoat (white?) and then top coat (white or clear?). I am at this stage now. How is it performing so far?

Thanks and all the best with your work, fun and camping! :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Flatworm » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:20 pm

Hi OP

Sorry for my slow response. Work always takes over my life for the Spring (southern hemisphere).

No, I haven't died from oxygen deprivation.

Wiley windows are working great. No leaks, easy to make etc. For the fly screens I used some plastic off a couple of old square buckets that I had laying around. Cut with scissors, laid fibreglass insect mesh between 2 layers and glued them together. Not particularly pretty but very effective. I was in a hurry.

For fairing, I used West 410 microlight.

I used 2 pot primer and top coat, both tinted. Happy with the roller finish as I was never aiming for perfection.

Whole trailer is working well. Just drove it 1000km to a wedding. 2 litre diesel tow vehicle averaged 9 litres / 100km (26 US mpg).

We live in a high rainfall area and it lives outside with no leaks at all.

Only thing is, I've caught the bug and my new VW Crafter van is about to arrive in the country. Guess I'll be busy converting that for a few months. Extra long (7.4m) and extra high with 4wd - it will be a beast. Ultralight conversion is required as I only have around 1000kg of spare weight capacity including fitout and loading. Will be interesting. Definitely transferring some ideas from the caravan to the van. Planning on laminating the metal walls of the van to stop them resonating and reduce noise inside - seems like an interesting idea although I've already been told by an expert that I'm crazy and it won't work.
Flatworm
Teardrop Advisor

Postby OP827 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:39 am

Thanks for answering my questions and all the best with your new project!
OP827
Donating Member

Postby hossesdad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:39 am

Flatworm,
just read your whole post. Very interesting, and successful, idea to build off the trailer and then bolt down. If i did another one, i would do that to. I did just bolt down, no glue, my floor so that I can lift it if i need to replace the axle, lower the suspension or move the axle ( it is well back, and the tongue is long, for good towing and reversing, but might be too far).

The aesthetics are good, too. Do you mind me asking where you got those neat flush door locks?
hossesdad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chris H. » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am

Flatworm wrote:

Only thing is, I've caught the bug and my new VW Crafter van is about to arrive in the country. Guess I'll be busy converting that for a few months. Extra long (7.4m) and extra high with 4wd - it will be a beast. Ultralight conversion is required as I only have around 1000kg of spare weight capacity including fitout and loading. Will be interesting. Definitely transferring some ideas from the caravan to the van. Planning on laminating the metal walls of the van to stop them resonating and reduce noise inside - seems like an interesting idea although I've already been told by an expert that I'm crazy and it won't work.

This sounds interesting, will you be documenting the build anywhere?
Chris H.
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Build Journals