Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off Road Grumman 2ish (5x5x10) Build

Postby DWT77 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 am

I added the 2500 x 2500 ARB Awning and deluxe room with floor. Taking the teardrop to Florida next week so will have a chance to see how it works out.

The fender keeps the tent from resting on the sidewall of the teardrop. I will have to look into the best way to deal with that. If it is raining too hard then I can always just zip up that panel
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby soapcreek » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:30 pm

I attached an ARB awning to our rig also. I really liked it the one time I’ve used it. I bought the attached room/tent to go with but have yet to pull it out of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:50 pm

soapcreek wrote:I attached an ARB awning to our rig also. I really liked it the one time I’ve used it. I bought the attached room/tent to go with but have yet to pull it out of the bag.

Overall I like the awning and room. Setup is easy once you get the hang of the awning. This was actually the first time I have taken the teardrop to an RV Park. Which brought up the issue with the room. On the RV pad you can't stake down the room so any wind whips it around(Marked the tie downs with red circles). This particular RV Park said no rugs/mats on the grass. So I did the best I could. I took my Hi-Lift jack and used it as a weight to keep the room from blowing all over the place. I also tried to tie it down to my fender. Also as someone mentioned make sure to angle it so water can run off. I did have it angled a couple inches but that wasn't sufficient. I just happened to wake up one night and checked it. With the room on you can't really see the awning and it had a bunch of water in it almost to the point of bending my poles. So be mindful that you angle it enough. Glad I caught it.

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 pm

I started my AC Wall unit hack on the teardrop.

I took the front grill off and put blue foam board into the outflow area. Then taped it up with tyvek tape. I then drilled a hole in the top for a 4" hose attachment.

I glued in a small piece to make sure the foam insulation did not get pushed into far

I found a dryer vent box that was pretty close to the size of my AC unit. Plus it has a hole for a 4" vent. I cut the corners, bent the metal down so it can fit over the AC unit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J ... UTF8&psc=1

That was my stopping point. Will hop back on it later this week
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:25 pm

I also added the vents for the hoses to connect to.

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby soapcreek » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Looking good. Do you happen to have a link for those vent ports? Mine like to let some water in. Those look like they would seal better.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 am

soapcreek wrote:Looking good. Do you happen to have a link for those vent ports? Mine like to let some water in. Those look like they would seal better.

Thanks soapcreek!

Here is the link https://climateright.com/teardrop-trail ... n-kit.html
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:59 pm

I wanted to organize my galley drawers better. I have seen trekpaks for pelican cases but they are expensive. I looked up a diy video on youtube and made my own. I also got some bins to help space everything out too.

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:54 am

I added the Oztent Caravan connector to the teardrop.

I got some 10 series aluminum extrusion (If I were to do it again might go with the 20 series, seemed like hardware was more available)

Got some Awning track (Keder Rail) and attached it to the aluminum extrusion.

Pictures shown are without the poles on the peak panels

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DesertApprentice » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:20 pm

I started, then paused my build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73997. I come in with no prior metal or carpentry experience. I'm learning everything as I go. I browsed through your posts, watched your videos. I'm learning a lot. My trailer frame is 5x8, TV is 2018 JLU Rubicon. I'm looking at 37" tires for the trailer to match the TV. I also use Timbren. The combination is creating some challenges. As of now, my frame will be 24" off the ground. I got a few questions, hope I may hear from you.
1. what's your solution with the stabilizer jacks? I couldn't quite tell. Are stabilizers important based on your experience?
2. for the roof racks, did you just bolt them on to the plywood? I don't see you used studs on your walls. what's the estimated weight limit you can put on the roof racks? How many inches did the racks raise your camper height? I'm guessing ~7".
3. did you install your AC inside the tongue box? I see you have 2 vent holes on the side wall, not sure how they are connected to your AC.
Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much!
DesertApprentice
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:17 am

DesertApprentice wrote:Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much!

1. what's your solution with the stabilizer jacks? I ended up welding them on the under side of the frame
Are stabilizers important based on your experience? I have not used them once. I have found the teardrop to be very stable

2. for the roof racks, did you just bolt them on to the plywood? I used stainless steel bolts and went right through the wall.
What's the estimated weight limit you can put on the roof racks? I believe the actual roof rack brackets could hold a substantial amount of weight. The limiting factor would be the Thule Bars. I believe they were rated for 200 lbs
How many inches did the racks raise your camper height? I'm guessing ~7". Yes it put on more height than I wanted. I am about 1 inch to high to get in a regular 7' garage now. I bought mine from Oregon Trailer. I think they have a slimmer design now that should not be as high or go with another mfg or fabricate brackets yourself.

3. did you install your AC inside the tongue box? I did not. I decided to purchase Teardrop installation kit from climateright. I have a receiver hitch mounted on the front side of my teardrop. The plan is to have a stand that attaches to the hitch and use hoses to connect the AC. I can also use those hoses to connect a Propex heater. My thought is, I can take heat or AC depending on what time of year I am camping. (I haven't finished either of those projects so how that works out is to be determined) I accidently ran a screw through the freon tube when I was hacking the AC unit I had. https://climateright.com/collections/re ... 5402102936

DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DesertApprentice » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 am

Thank you so much for your detailed response!! I'll check back here to see how you will do the AC. It's going to be a long time before I work on the AC. I'll focus on the basic build first.
Thanks again!
DesertApprentice
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:21 pm

23Zero 180 degree awning

DWT77
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals