Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrop Trailer

Postby friz » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Done for tonight.Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Ottsville » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:22 am

I love the headliner idea and very nice work on the execution!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby friz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Headliner done! Two weekends and $150 in supplies. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby friz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Ok…… thought I was done. The Mrs. started tossing around ideas about putting privacy curtains in the camper. I could not imagine what she wanted that would go with the clean lines, so I made these privacy plugs instead.ImageImageImage

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Trix25 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 am

friz wrote:Headliner done! Two weekends and $150 in supplies. Image

Hello skimmed through your entire build and wanted to say great job on the trailer.

I do have a question about your mattress, wondering what was the build process for that? I like the idea that it can be converted into a sofa as well.

Thanks,
Patrick
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:23 am

it is a 4 inch folding mattress. I think the brand was Lucid. Mine is 4 inch high density foam. They make a version with an inch of memory foam and 3 inches of HD foam but people were complaining about bottoming out with those. It is very comfortable.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Trix25 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:01 am

friz wrote:it is a 4 inch folding mattress. I think the brand was Lucid. Mine is 4 inch high density foam. They make a version with an inch of memory foam and 3 inches of HD foam but people were complaining about bottoming out with those. It is very comfortable.

Thanks for your reply, just had a look online, too bad, doesn't have custom width or it would have been a great simple option for my build.
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:27 am

I keep peeking at your build like a kid that's got a Playboy hidden under his mattress. :o

Would you do anything different on your battery mount? I suppose when it comes time to replace it, you'll just have to cowboy up, crawl under and git-ur done. It sure is clean.

I'm thinking about this coming winter's build and an underfloor battery. :thinking: It'd sure be nice to keep it out of the tongue box.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:I keep peeking at your build like a kid that's got a Playboy hidden under his mattress. :o

Would you do anything different on your battery mount? I suppose when it comes time to replace it, you'll just have to cowboy up, crawl under and git-ur done. It sure is clean.

I'm thinking about this coming winter's build and an underfloor battery. :thinking: It'd sure be nice to keep it out of the tongue box.

Tony
I really like my battery location. I have yet to find a down side. All of my power distribution lives underneath also. A marine fuse box and a ground bus. I am 12v only so things are pretty simple.
I like having a tear that is so far from the traditional appearance but traditional in purpose. Definately the "Forbidden fruit" of teardrops.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Trix25 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:26 pm

friz wrote:Headliner done! Two weekends and $150 in supplies. ImageImage

sorry wanted to ask your feedback about your mushroom vents? how are they under rainy conditions? is it adjustable?

Thanks,
Pat
Trix25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby friz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:43 am

Trix25 wrote:
friz wrote:Headliner done! Two weekends and $150 in supplies. ImageImage

sorry wanted to ask your feedback about your mushroom vents? how are they under rainy conditions? is it adjustable?

Thanks,
Pat
These vents are far from a perfect solution. CLC recommends modifying them in a way that makes them unusable in the rain but seals compleatly for travel. I made travel plugs and use them in the stock configuration with front facing up allowing air flow in the rain. Be aware that they dont allow much airflow. I usually camp in cooler regions so not an issue for me.ImageImage

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby djdawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

Friz, I might have missed it but can this kit be built on a 4-foot by 8-foot trailer? If not do you think it would be difficult to design wheel wells to accommodate the size?

**Edit - this might be a hard question to answer but do you think you could have purchased all the materials that you needed for this project for less than the $2, 200 that you pay for the kit? I know that you're paying for the pieces already precut and I'm doubtful that someone could make the same trailer without those pre-cut pieces trying to do it on their own so the question might be flawed from the beginning.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 pm

djdawg wrote:Friz, I might have missed it but can this kit be built on a 4-foot by 8-foot trailer? If not do you think it would be difficult to design wheel wells to accommodate the size?

**Edit - this might be a hard question to answer but do you think you could have purchased all the materials that you needed for this project for less than the $2, 200 that you pay for the kit? I know that you're paying for the pieces already precut and I'm doubtful that someone could make the same trailer without those pre-cut pieces trying to do it on their own so the question might be flawed from the beginning.
The structure is very rigid so it can be mounted on about anything. Some have even used old boat trailers. For mounting on 4 ft wide trailers, most make wooden bunks to get the shell over the wheels. As for doing a scratch build, by the time you source the wood, buy the hardware and the epoxy, you are really close to asking price of the kit. The epoxy alone is almost $800.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby djdawg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Fritz,

I can't thank you enough for this build journal. After reading the whole thing and checking out their website I have definitely decided I'm going to be purchasing one of these kids. They owe you something! LOL. I'm sure your thread has resulted in sales for them.

Do you want to hear the super good news? I have found out that they will be having a sale on everything either this Labor Day weekend or at the end of next month. So anyone who is looking to purchase one of these kits I would recommend you subscribe to their newsletter and get ready to pull the trigger if you're thinking about it because now will be the time.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:32 am

djdawg wrote:Fritz,

I can't thank you enough for this build journal. After reading the whole thing and checking out their website I have definitely decided I'm going to be purchasing one of these kids. They owe you something! LOL. I'm sure your thread has resulted in sales for them.

Do you want to hear the super good news? I have found out that they will be having a sale on everything either this Labor Day weekend or at the end of next month. So anyone who is looking to purchase one of these kits I would recommend you subscribe to their newsletter and get ready to pull the trigger if you're thinking about it because now will be the time.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Dont forget the browse the CLC teardrop forum. Lots of info there.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals