Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Off-road Teardrop Design/Build

Postby kokomoto » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:07 pm

I finished building a dolly to built the TD on until the trailer frame is finished.

image.jpeg
TD build dolly
image.jpeg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 4783 times

Also trying to figure out the door shape and location. I think 32" is about the right width. The Windows that I purchased are almost "24 wide so I have 4" of door on either side.

I have drawn the door on the profile. The bottom of the door is 5" above the top of the frame, and the top of the door is 6" down from the top of the TD. Also tried to position the door near the hip location when lying down in the cabin to make pivoting in and out easier.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 4783 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.61 KiB) Viewed 4783 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:10 pm

Making progress on the frame for the sandwiched walls.

image.jpeg
Sandwich frame layout
image.jpeg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Started assembling the floor today. 1x4 pine & 1x3 spruce boards will make up the skeleton frame. I used a 5x sheet of birch plywood as a guide to keep everything square, and provide something flat to clamp the boards to.

image.jpeg
1st glue-up
image.jpeg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm

I dropped off the 2x3 steel tubing, axle, and suspension at the local fabricating shop. They hope to finish the trailer frame by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I've been chipping away at the floor. After building the skeleton perimeter of the floor, I glued the first sheet of 3/16" birch plywood to the skeleton. I only had enough clamps to do one sheet. Must buy more clamps... I nailed a brad into each corner to prevent the sheet from sliding around on the PL Premium adhesive while it dries.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (112.36 KiB) Viewed 4651 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.61 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Johnysteam » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:55 am

I like your teardrop shape. I really think that longer is better. Its knowing where to stop is my problem
Johnysteam
Silver Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Johnysteam wrote:I like your teardrop shape. I really think that longer is better. Its knowing where to stop is my problem

I really put a lot of thought and research into it. I didn't want any more length than absolutely necessary to have a TD that fir a queen mattress, a usable galley, and sufficient storage space for necessary camping gear that would support boondocking in remote areas. Nine feet just would not be big long enough, and ten feet works without excess.

The shape kind of morphed from a few teardrop designs that I liked, and from practical considerations. The designers that I liked were the Vintage Overland, Oregon Trailr, and the Grumman. I started with a profile that incorporated a radius at the bottom of both ends. That looked a little tricky to build, so I changed it to the Grumman style bottom half, which will be a bit easier to build. The top/rear is a simple ellipse like that used on the modernaire/cub. I extended it to about 3/4 of the way to the front. It provides a little more headroom over the bed area than the Grumman. The tucked under nose, I figured, would allow a comfortable, reclined sitting position while leaning against it. I also thought it looked a little bit unique. The front/bottom is a 60" radius with the center point at 30" up from the bottom. The top/front is a simple ellipse that is 18" down from the top and 1/4 of the length back from the front. I sacrificed about 12" of interior floor space, but I'm satisfied with the curvier profile. The overall length of the trailer frame is 9'.

As with cars, trucks, motorcycles, and airplanes, be honest with yourself about what your mission will really be, and design/build to that. Don't be too practical though, build something cool. 8)
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Not much progress. I was out of town for a week or so.

Made some progress on the floor. Coated the inside surfaces with RAKA epoxy to head off any condensation rot. Next step will be to cut the styrofoam insulation to fit, and lay the top 3/16" plywood on to complete the sandwich. After that, router trim the edges flush, and coat the whole assembly in epoxy.

The frame is being welded up at the fabricator shop.

I bought some 3/4" round LED clearance lights that simply pop into a hole drilled in the side of the frame tubing. Haven't bought the tail lights yet, but I'm thinking of buying some round LED units housed in a case with studs in the back. They would be fastened to a bracket designed to be riveted onto the rear of the fenders.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (123.42 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:12 pm

I installed the insulation after applying PL Premium to the plywood with a fine groove trowel.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.27 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:28 pm

Sawdust I made today. Cut the walls. Stack 4 sheets of plywood, and used the jigsaw to cut close to the profile pattern secured on top. Then used the pattern bit in the router to finish the cut. Sanded the edges.

The floor is ready for epoxy.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 am

Here are some pics of the trailer frame....in progress and nearly completed :)

image.jpeg
Take 1
image.jpeg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

image.jpeg
Take 2
image.jpeg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

image.jpeg
Take 3
image.jpeg (150.11 KiB) Viewed 4223 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 am

image.jpeg
Take 4
image.jpeg (154.96 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:17 pm

I picked up the trailer frame from the fab shop. The guys at Garage Bound llc did a fantastic job. :applause:

It measures exactly 80" outside tread to outside tread.

I'll be sanding, prepping, and primering over the next few days. The wiring project will follow.

image.jpeg
Trailer finished 1
image.jpeg (172.24 KiB) Viewed 4186 times

image.jpeg
Trailer finished 2
image.jpeg (181.48 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Louisd75 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Those wheels look sharp :thumbsup:
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby kokomoto » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Louisd75 wrote:Those wheels look sharp :thumbsup:

Thanks! I found them at Coker Tire. They have an enormous selection of wheels and tires. They also have a nice automobile museum.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby azgreg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am

That's a good looking trailer. :beer:
azgreg
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals