Australian Retro Rambler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Australian Retro Rambler

Postby edgeau » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:50 am

I've got to say life is good! I came home from a business trip and my marvellous wife picked me up from the airport and took me to an already set up camp site by the beach. Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:40 pm

A Perfect Life! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby edgeau » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:20 am

Latest set up from a weekend getaway by a creek up the mountain 45min from home. The new ensuite tent from joolca is a cracker! Well thought out, well made and easy to use! Took three tries of different ones but this is a keeper. Not that you can see much detail of it in the photo, it is not the sort of thing I look to photograph Image

edgeau
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:34 am

What a cracker of a camp. Inspiring as always.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby edgeau » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:33 pm

MickinOz wrote:What a cracker of a camp. Inspiring as always.
Thanks mate

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 am

It's Christmas again!
I admit I may have gone a little over the top but this is going to be fun. In the end the house will have Uninterruptible Power Supply for the fridge/freezer and the Teardrop will have DC/DC charging added to MPPT with Bluetooth and remote touch screen monitoring / control.

The charger controller in the teardrop with it's nice display will come into the house setup.

This would have been nice to have before the Christmas day tornado tore up my suburb but the camping fridges running off the teardrop got us through the few days without power. Other places locally lost it for over a week.

Our place was fine by the way. There is a swathe of snapped off trees through the bush behind us that just stops 10m from our fence. Even the floating pool toy was still in the pool meters from where trees were being uprooted and snapped off like twigs. We must have had an angel perched on the roof!

ImageImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:21 am

This was the proof of concept with a 1000w inverter I picked up on Facebook marketplace and one of two high current batteries I took out of Mum's new mobility scooter when I upgraded it to lithium. These are 25kg monsters for only 55ah but built for sustained high current draw. So they will easily handle the 3000w inverter when I set them up in parallel. The 1000w handled the freezer and would cope with both the fridge and freezer concurrently starting but then I saw the 3000W with an automatic transfer switch built in and it was on sale for about the price of a new 1000w. Too good to pass up. Now there is headroom for other devices.

I'll on sell the 1000w inverter I guess.Image

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:44 am

Out again for the Australia Day Long weekend. I have found my old Army hootchie I'd exactly right to make a lean to on one of the side awnings for my son to set up a swag under. I had to replace one of these awnings a few months ago and I am glad I had the foresight to harvest the long poles from it. I slide the hootchie loops over it and put it just inside the awning so there is no gap.

ImageImageImage

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:08 am

New trailer time!
We are carrying so much extra gear now I was worried I'd go overweight if pulled up by the scalies (transport department officers with portable scales) Where I live the legal limit for an unbaked trailer is 750kg. Mine is rated to 1000 by the manufacturer but that doesn't matter. I looked at adding brakes and it turned out to do that I'd need to rip everything out from the leaf springs down and replace. $1600 for parts then I'd need to get an engineer certificate for a new compliance plate at another $400 or so.
Easier to buy a whole new trailer. I found this beauty second hand for $1500. It was built to transport golf carts.

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 am

The rails you see here had to come off but the angle grinder made short work of that.Image

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 am

The result!Image

edgeau
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:39 am

Now to sell the original trailer and see what my net changeover works out at