"Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Pursue Flyer Mods)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

"Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Pursue Flyer Mods)

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:38 am

So, I named my Jeep Wrangler "Mr. Grumpy. It has the "angry eyes" on the headlights. My intent has always been to get back "outdoors", so my Jeep buildup has been geared towards capability and reliability. I decided to call it "done" (but Jeeps are never really done) last summer and we began thinking about how to be more comfortable when camping. My back just can't take sleeping on a backpacking mat for more than a night and I LOVE the "always ready" aspect of a camper. So, we began looking at TDs online and searched locally (without luck) and even went to Overland Expo East last fall. That was a terrific experience and us the opportunity to see, touch, climb in, etc. many different options. We concluded an RTT was not for us so the TD became the primary target.

Fast-forward 6 months, MUCH research, MANY MANY flip-flops on build vs buy, traditional vs non-traditional, on-road vs off-road and we decided to buy. I would LOVE to have built my TD. I even drew up the plans and had most of the kinks worked out. Someday I'll build, but renting in an HOA-strict housing development was just not going to let me. I could just see myself getting halfway into the build and then being served notice to remove the project from my garage immediately... yes, they are THAT strict. I don't own the house, I don't want to own the house or any other in this location and we'll be moving in a couple years, so there is just no need to fight it.

Anyway, with my previous experience camping (from tarps to fifth-wheel), my desire to keep things "small" and be able to get into the mountains of CO (hoping to be there in a couple years), and the reasonable limitations of my Jeep as a tow vehicle, we decided on a camper and have put a deposit on an InTech RV Pursue Flyer. It is currently scheduled for delivery in a couple weeks and I've been working on the "design modifications" since we settled on it.

The camper is TD in spirit, with a 48" interior height, 60" width, 10' length, sub-2000 lb weight, outdoor galley and minimalist approach. It departs from the traditional TD in almost every other way though. It has a front "pull-out" galley, rounded front but square rear with double doors (reminiscent of a cargo trailer conversion), all-aluminum construction and a flat top. Ours is the "off-road" version, which just means they put 29" all-terrain tires on it and it sits slightly higher than stock. It has more options than I would have done if I built or custom ordered, but I decided this is likely a stepping-stone for learning and getting to what we really want in the future. Those extra options will be great resale bumps, making it that much more attractive to someone else.

My intent is to fairly review the camper and to show the modifications I make along the way. For a commercially-built camper, the InTech line does not have much information online. Hopefully my thoughts and the questions I'll be happy to answer will help others who may be considering buying from InTech.

So, here's a "promotional" photo, which is all I have to look at for a couple more weeks. Then I will start posting after I get it home. Enjoy!

<Update 1 Oct 2017: I've changed the reference from MAX Flyer to Pursue Flyer in several locations, due to the manufacturer changing their lineup a little. The camper is the same, but the name has changed. I want people to see the appropriate reference when searching for info, so pease ignore any reference I may have missed to the "MAX Flyer". That's what they called it when I bought it, but changes in their line and changes in naming mean my camper is now called the Pursue Flyer.>

Last edited by G-Mac on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Re: "Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (Max Flyer Modificatio

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:41 am

Because I HAVE been doing a lot of planning, I want to post my "modification plans". This will evolve over time, but here is what I am currently thinking about:

Pointing out the long-term changes:

- Move fridge from drawer to inside rear. There is 17" of floor beyond the end of the queen mattress to store & secure items.
-- I MAY decide to replace the stock stove with a stove/sink combo. I don't have exact dimensions though and it is a more expensive option up-front. I'll be able to get something back from the stock stove, but not as much as a new one. The advantage to this option is that it leaves the fridge in the galley... which I would like very much. That way I have stove, sink AND fridge all in the slide-out galley.

- Install a lower counter-top where the fridge was and add a simple pump faucet, sink and water jug underneath. Drain would be through a garden hose or possibly a catch bucket.

- Replace propane bottle with smaller (5-10 lb) bottle, mounted behind the driver-side tire. I only plan to run the stove with propane.

- Install a tongue box to house battery(s) and inverter.

- Move battery from stock location to tongue box, freeing up stock battery location for permanent water tank or just storage.

- Add solar shower to driver-side of roof with matching storage tube on passenger-side for awning poles, etc.

- Foxwing awning on (possibly) both sides for shelter while cooking and to provide shelter over back doors and location for outdoor "potty".

- Torsion axle lift (3") to split the difference between the camper and Jeep tongue height. I currently have a 6" drop hitch and would like to move to a 3". It won't gain me any clearance under the TD axle, but it will add head-room to the awning and give me more clearance under the rear of the Jeep when towing.

- Add a couple solar panels once I find out how much electrical we REALLY need and determine if there is a need for a second battery.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Oh, and I have no idea what to call the new trailer... "Cheerful Companion" won't cut it. Of course "Happy Camper" would be a polar-opposite and appropriate fit, but its a bit cheesy. :FNP

Thoughts? :thinking:
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:53 am

I got my first glimpse of the new camper today. Just unloaded at the dealer. I'll pick it up Monday... can't wait!

More photos and full review to follow!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SCwood » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:13 pm

ooh, I like all the black. Very nice
SCwood
Teardrop Advisor

Re: "Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Max Flyer Mods

Postby pchast » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:04 pm

The only caution I'd like to make is to be careful of
too much increased tongue weight.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:49 am

Wow! That looks like a pretty complete package! It's good that you have A/C. I'm guessing you'll need it with that black exterior attracting and holding the heat. Is Mr Grumpy black? That'll make a nice combination. ...Looking forward to seeing more. Congratulations!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby G-Mac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 am

pchast wrote:The only caution I'd like to make is to be careful of
too much increased tongue weight.
:thinking:

Great advice and I'll be watching it carefully. The "water solution" is going to be limited to about 5 gallons and I'll move the propane to behind the tires to help. Definitely don't want to make it too heavy in front... or overall, for that matter!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:29 am

S. Heisley wrote:Wow! That looks like a pretty complete package! It's good that you have A/C. I'm guessing you'll need it with that black exterior attracting and holding the heat. Is Mr Grumpy black? That'll make a nice combination. ...Looking forward to seeing more. Congratulations!

Yes, the Wrangler is also black. I know the color will draw in more heat, but we sometimes make sacrifices for styling purposes. :)

As for the AC, it wasn't my first choice to get it, but I realized it would be a tremendous asset when it came to resale and it never hurts to have AC in the humid summer months out here. It'll make trips to the Outer Banks much more pleasant.

Just one more day! (I'd be there today, but the dealer is closed.) :(
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:30 pm

:D IT'S HERE!!!!!! :D

Picked up the MAX Flyer this afternoon and pulled it home over a mix of interstate, 2-lane and city streets. It pulled great behind the Wrangler and fit nicely in the garage. Now it's time to start the mods!!!!

Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Scomi21 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 pm

These things look nice! Ballpark, what do they cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scomi21
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:56 pm

:thumbsup: Looks Good!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Scomi21 wrote:These things look nice! Ballpark, what do they cost?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what you get. They have camper-only (no galley) for under $10K and they go up from there. Ours loaded (with an added modification at the factory) was around $14K OTD. It's quite a bit more than building, but the company has been in the trailer building business for a long time and the frame/structure is all aluminum, making it pretty light for the size. I haven't weighed mine, but was surprised at how well it towed home.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm

So, some first impressions:

1. The tongue seemed heavier than I expected. I haven't put it on the scale, but the Jeep seemed to squat more than when I stood on the hitch (~200#s). It's probably due to lack of gear in the back, a true deep-cycle battery and a full bottle of propane.

2. Even though it squated more than expected, the Teraflex springs handled it nicely. I adjusted the hitch to pull it level and headed home. It followed VERY nicely, with no ill-handling.

3. I was a little worried about brakes. I got a pleasant surprise with the response. Another indicator that the trailer doesn't weigh as much as I thought it might.

4. My initial inspection didn't turn up anything that I would complain about. The door close solidly, the drawer for the galley seems sturdy, and the fit-n-finish was excellent. I really like the LED clearance lights, LED strip brake/tail lights and the combined LED top clearance/outdoor loading light. They used an LED strip up top in the back that was all white (except 3 red clearance lights... very nicely thought-out.

I'll post more later, but those are my first thoughts.
Last edited by G-Mac on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kudzu » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Congrats on the new trailer. Glad to here the build quality is good. Definitely post pics/descriptions of mods & additions.
kudzu
Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals