"Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Pursue Flyer Mods)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Mr. Grumpy's" Cheerful Companion (InTech Max Flyer Mods

Postby G-Mac » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:01 am

Dirtclod wrote:Absolutely LOVE the dual Fox Wing canopies and with the extension "walls" that is really nice.

I may steal the truck bed boxes on the sides. Great Idea.

I have really enjoyed seeing the mods you have done. Great Job

Thank you sir!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:49 pm

Nice video. Great shot of the osprey! To bad he didn't get the fish he was after.

Nice camp set up, too.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:40 pm

I saw some pictures of the nets on the doors, how about the hammock net you referred to?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby G-Mac » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 am

No problem.

Here is a photo of the net:

Here's the link to the net:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLKE504/ref=od_aui_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Fri May 19, 2017 3:36 pm

So far, it has been a VERY busy spring and heading into summer. A few more trips in the "Companion" and some traveling have soaked up our time. After returning from a trip to Montana recently (had to fly, unfortunately) I decided to finalize my galley design.

My low-buck sink setup was a proof-of-concept and to be sure we liked it. Turns out, we liked it very much. So my wife and I went shopping for a real countertop, a slightly larger sink and I ordered a faucet/pump combo. The sink is still low-buck. t's a larger stainless steel salad bowl. Again, $8 beats the $80+ for an actual sink. The drain is standard and I re-used the trap and drain hose.

The countertop was the smallest pre-fab formica section that Home Depot (or was it Lowes?) carried. I cut it down to size and used an end-cap kit to cover the exposed press wood core. Some more cutting gave me a couple sides that also got some formica finishing. The iron-on caps are not hard to trim down to size and use for all sorts of things.

The faucet is part of a Shurflo combo. This isn't a "demand" system, the faucet actually has a switch in it and the pump is a low-pressure, 1 gallon per minute pump that prefers to be gravity-primed. Mine is level with the bottom of the jug, but it says it will pull up to 4" above the feed point. When the faucet is turned on, the pump begins to run and the flow can still be adjusted from a trickle to full flow. To be honest, I got tired of pumping and so did my wife with her bum-wrist. This will fill a cup or pan quickly and pulls 3 amps max.

I used a 4 gallon jug and added a bung to the bottom for the outlet. So far, I have found myself using about 1.5-2 gallons on a normal weekend. The smaller tank also keeps the tongue weight down and it is very easy to refill from my spare water jug.

This is a simple setup and rather inexpensive. The whole sink (including countertop) has less than $200 in parts in it. The first true test will be Memorial Day weekend, but my trial run worked perfectly. (I just need to remember to open the fill cap to prevent sucking the jug into a wadded up mess!)

Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pinstriper » Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 am

That is one badass rig. I am definitely stealing the truck boxes.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby G-Mac » Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Pinstriper wrote:That is one badass rig. I am definitely stealing the truck boxes.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Always happy to inspire someone else with an idea!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 pm

My latest addition to the TTT...

For those who haven't seen this before, it's a three-legged campfire grill. The legs are adjustable and designed to just slip over the spare tire (29-35 inch). Then you can add a strap for extra security if you are storing it vertically, like we are. If your spare sits flat, you just drop it over the top. (I'd probably still use a strap.)

It's stainless steel and includes a couple wrenches that are laser cut into the grill. I left them so that they are always there in the event I need to tighten the screws.
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:50 am

That's pretty sweet, and a good storage solution. Who makes them and what are they called?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby G-Mac » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:12 am

Oops! I forgot that I added one more permanent light to the front for the removable work surface. This should provide plenty of light for preparing evening meals.

Can't wait to get back out camping!
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jjarret83 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 am

Hello! hopefully your still active on this forum, just picked up same exact model and starting the mods!

would you be able to share few pics of the rear tie down setup ?
looking to mount a tv on the wall and curious what you have been using to mount the lights etc with the all aluminum TT both interior and exterior

going on our maiden voyage this weekend with pretty much stock except for the foxwing awning, but bad part is I guess a batch of foxwings that were delivered to IntechRV have the wrong orientation( box says RHS but really a LHS awning is in the box) so waiting for a replacement at this time but still plan on using it till they ship me a new one since its already mounted!

was downsizing the propane tank worth the expense? I agree with you that the tongue weight for this is guy is little more than expected but the grand Cherokee pulled it with ease and I just have a leveling kit with rear TJ spacer, might have to look at getting new rear springs with a 2inch lift to compensate when trailering this guy around.

since you've had yours for a while, if you have any recommendations/ mods that I should do please let me know!

ordered a 20watt zamp solar kit to keep the battery juiced while not in use but looking for suggestions on any worthwhile mods!

thanks in advance
Attachments
20232804_10155301252560991_8985777370431465531_o.jpg
20232804_10155301252560991_8985777370431465531_o.jpg (327.78 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:37 am

Hey Jarret,

I'd be happy to share a few photos. I will get some as soon as I can. In addition, my photo sharing site seems to be down at the moment.

My setup is pretty simple. I bought some D-rings and drilled through the floor with large washers on the back to reinforce it. I originally tried screws, but there just isn't enough thickness in the wood. I used normal tie-down straps and bungee cords for the items I tied down.

As for wall mounting options, the stuff I put on the walls was all done with wood screws. The wood is thick enough for most things and there is a 1" gap between the wood and the outer wall, so no worries about the screw slightly extending beyond the wood. If you are mounting a TV, I would make a bracket and mount it through the wood and into the metal tubing. Use a good metal screw, pre-drill and span at least 2 "studs". Be sure to watch for overall length and not go through the exterior.

Downsizing the propane was a bit expensive, but it saved about 30 pounds. I know it isn't much, but it helps on my Wrangler. I also don't see a need to pull around that much propane, as the stove just doesn't take that much. A 25 lb tank could last a couple years.

As for solar, I haven't gone down that road yet. I plan to put a couple panels on the top, but haven't gotten to it yet. For now, I have upgraded the battery to a 120ah AGM and just keep it charged with the 110.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I can and let you know!

Gary

jjarret83 wrote:Hello! hopefully your still active on this forum, just picked up same exact model and starting the mods!

would you be able to share few pics of the rear tie down setup ?
looking to mount a tv on the wall and curious what you have been using to mount the lights etc with the all aluminum TT both interior and exterior

going on our maiden voyage this weekend with pretty much stock except for the foxwing awning, but bad part is I guess a batch of foxwings that were delivered to IntechRV have the wrong orientation( box says RHS but really a LHS awning is in the box) so waiting for a replacement at this time but still plan on using it till they ship me a new one since its already mounted!

was downsizing the propane tank worth the expense? I agree with you that the tongue weight for this is guy is little more than expected but the grand Cherokee pulled it with ease and I just have a leveling kit with rear TJ spacer, might have to look at getting new rear springs with a 2inch lift to compensate when trailering this guy around.

since you've had yours for a while, if you have any recommendations/ mods that I should do please let me know!

ordered a 20watt zamp solar kit to keep the battery juiced while not in use but looking for suggestions on any worthwhile mods!

thanks in advance
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby G-Mac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:00 pm

As requested, here are some close-ups of the rear of the Flyer. Hopefully, my photo server will stay up and you can see all the other photos from my modification process.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Here you can see the bottom of the InTech. I was mistaken when I said I used washers. I remember now that I found some bolts with large, flat heads. I also did not use bolts on ALL the D-rings, just the ones holding the refrigerator. I would recommend using bolts clear through for anything that gets a real pull against it. The other D-rings only have bungee cords to hold down the totes I use for added storage.

Simple D-ring attached to floor. The tie-down strap goes to the fridge.

Looking top-down. My fridge attaches to the outside, my bungees run to a single D-ring in the center.

Here you can see the totes and bungees. The totes come from Walmart and I have used them for moving and storage for about 5 years now. I have over 40 in two different sizes and have only had one break (movers managed to do it) during that time. I love that you can see what is in them. Makes finding things much easier.

And here is the fridge. As stated earlier in this thread, I moved it to the rear to install a sink in front. The sink is lighter than the fridge and I love having water right there. It sits on the passenger side, so that only one door needs to be opened to get food. This has worked perfectly. One of the best design features of the Flyer is the extra length at the rear of the camper. Our queen sized memory foam mattress gives us great sleep and leaves about 18 inches at the foot for storage. The storage at the back helps to offset the weight of the tongue. I dropped over 100 pounds up front between moving things off the tongue and adding things behind the tires.

Hope this helps!

Gary
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Too bad I cannot continue to follow this nice build. The earlier large photo post makes the print too small for me to read.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby jjarret83 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

That is perfect setup, sorry to the guy whos having issues with the post i can remove the picture, looks perfectly fine on my end though.

When i get home tomorrow ill be starting the dring setup as i have them waiting and attaching the shovel/axe to the roof rack of the flyer.

This weekend was first time using it...cery happy we purchased this over the larger campers...gets alot of attention but noticing for the price they arent to impressed... to each their own! Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
jjarret83
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals