Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build + Window Instructions

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build + Window Instructions

Postby Jeffcreber » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello!

My name is Jeff Creber. I’m 32 years old and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Around the start of 2015, my wife Zaneta and I began the process of designing and building a teardrop trailer. We have since completed the project however I never found the time to post my progress on TNTTT. Now that the project is complete, I’ve been able to catch my breath and organize some information and progress shots for the site. I’d just like to say thank you to everyone in the TNTTT community who have posted information over the years. I have spent countless hours on TNTTT reading articles on every aspect of the building process. I don’t know if I could have completed my project without your valuable information! I hope I can help others with future builds by posting some information about our project.

I’ll leave you with a link for pictures, a little background information about our motivation for the project, and some information regarding our trailer build.

Pictures from the entire trailer build can be viewed here:
https://goo.gl/photos/W8mFfDwJ7XTffSyt7

Feel free to follow us on Instagram or Facebook if you want to see future trailer updates or pictures from the upcoming USA road trip:
https://www.instagram.com/jeffcreber
https://www.facebook.com/jcreber

You can reply to this post or contact me at [email protected] you have any questions or comments. I would love to hear from you!

Background:

I have always wanted to purchase a Volkswagen Van, gut it, renovate it, and take it on a trip across the USA. When I mentioned this to my wife, she was 100% on board with the idea. After doing some research, I realized that a van might not be the best option for me as I’ve never been an expert with engines or vehicles in general. While helping me with my van research, my wife randomly stumbled across a few basic teardrop trailer builds on various sites. To be honest, I don’t think I had ever seen a teardrop trailer before she brought them to my attention.. Once she planted the idea in my head, I was immediately hooked. Countless hours of research ensued, materials were sourced out, and the building began. With the motivation of a summer long USA trip to punctuate the project, I was able to keep motivated and power through the build. Everything was buttoned up by August of 2016 which allowed us to take the maiden voyage to my best friends wedding in Lake Louise and then to Whistler. We were able to squeeze in another 10 or so camping trips throughout the remainder of the year.

The original plan was to make the USA trip in the summer of 2016 however we decided to postpone it until the summer of 2017. We plan to leave Calgary June 2nd, 2017. We’ll make our way through the US for 3 months and enter back into Canada on the east coast. We’ll then spend September making our way back though Canada.

We're really looking forward to exploring our beautiful countries with the new trailer!

***UPDATES***

-Added a video showing the function of our futon in the trailer build album (02/03/2017)

-Added a photo of the auxiliary ice box AC unit in the trailer build album (02/03/2017)

-Added detailed instructions regarding the installation of our Lexan "stargazer" window: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68013&start=30#p1198322 (05/03/2017)

Build Time & Costs

-Design programs used: AutoCAD, Google Sketchup
-Started the design: February 2015
-Started building: March 8th, 2015
-Took a break from building to get married: June 18, 2015 to September 20, 2015
-Maiden voyage: August 6th, 2016
-Approximate build time: 10 Months (303 Days)
-Approximate cost: $11,000.00 CAD

Specifications

-Trailer length: 11’
-Trailer width: 5’
-Trailer weight: Approximately 1800 LBS
-Chassis: Modified Big Tex 30SA-08 60” x 8’ single axle trailer. Purchased from factory Outlet Trailers, High River Alberta.
-Sandwiched plywood insulation design.
-Skinned with 18 gauge aluminum, over ⅛” luan plywood, over roof spars.
-Large polycarbonate cabin window.
-Futon memory foam bed (Size: double).
-Collapsable internal table.
-Custom doors with opening windows.
-Windows purchased from Vintage Technologies out of the USA.
-Floating vinyl flooring, suitable for damp locations.
-Suburban 2 burner propane stove.
-120AH deep cycle battery.
-“Truck Fridge” AC/DC powered fridge.
-Renogy solar system. Two 100W solar panels with PMW charge controller.
-450W inverter, automatically relay triggered, for 120V receptacles when trailer is not hooked up to an AC power supply.
-DC power supply, automatically relay triggered, for DC components when trailer is plugged into an AC power supply.
-Stereo system: Pioneer bluetooth deck with 4 speakers (2 in cabin, two on hatch)
-3-way switching for all cabin LED lighting and fans.
-Hardwired CO2/Smoke Detector
-Custom switch boxes
-Exhaust fan
-Internal circulation fan with copper coils through which cold water may be pumped from an auxiliary cooler for AC.
-Sink with running cold water. 12V SHURflo 4008 fresh water pump pulls from 2x 20L portable auxiliary water tanks.
-Custom built roof rack (Thanks Steve!)
-ShadyBoy awning
-Internal propane heater: Mr. Heater brand “Little Buddy” 3800-BTU Indoor-Safe Propane Heater
-Eccotemp L5 Portable tankless water heater for outdoor Shower. Hooks up to a quick connect water outlet on the exterior of the trailer.

Last edited by Jeffcreber on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Jeff & Zaneta's Teardrop Trailer Build. Finished!

Postby glennK » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Wow! Nicely done! Great gracious lines and awesome window!
Greetings neighbour (from the Saskatoon area).
Glenn
glennK
Teardrop Inspector

Postby azgreg » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:11 pm

Gorgeous! :applause: :beer:
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Very nice. I love everything about your design.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm

:thumbsup: Cute pooch and a nice job on your teardrop! May you enjoy both for many years.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Sweet!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:55 am

Really like the design & execution! Looks like it should be good for a "few" miles the way it's put together.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 am

azgreg wrote:Gorgeous! :applause: :beer:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby J.Pierson » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

That is a beautiful and inspiring build!
J.Pierson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:32 am

Sweeeeeeet build! I hope to get a glimpse of that peal down here south of the border.

Is that skylght lexan?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 5speedsoffury » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 am

That is a beautiful build! I really like the sky view window! I checked the Vintage technologies site and could not find it. Is that still produced and where can it be found?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
5speedsoffury
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IndyTom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

You did an absolutely spectacular job. That is one of the most stunning designs I have ever seen for one of these little campers. You just got everything right. And the stargazing window awesome!

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby kudzu » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Love it!
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby razorback » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:47 am

WOW. Your documentation is Stellar. Attention to design and detail work is Superb. Congratulations on a truly Magnificent TD.
Just remember to treat your lady with the same dedication and love you put into your TD. Here's to the beginning of great adventures and memories!
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jeffcreber » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 am

5speedsoffury wrote:That is a beautiful build! I really like the sky view window! I checked the Vintage technologies site and could not find it. Is that still produced and where can it be found?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Hello and thank you!

The only windows I purchased from Vintage technologies were the windows for the doors. The skylight was custom. I did plenty of searching on the internet and was unable to find a solution for a large skylight. I ended up using a UV resistant sheet pf polycarbonate.

I was informed later that using polycarbonate as a window might not be allowed with RV's as it doest not shatter upon impact. The work however was already completed so that was a lesson learned too late. If you check out the link I posted for our progress shots album, you can have a look at how I installed the sheet. I've yet to have any leaks or issues! Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Jeff
Jeffcreber
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Build Journals