New build in Wyoming - Finished Summer 2018

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

New build in Wyoming - Finished Summer 2018

Postby peterblomberg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Well, I started making some sawdust yesterday.

Spent quite a bit of time since this fall reading through many build journals, searching for answers to questions, and most recently, digging into Steve Frederick's Build Manual. I have done a fair amount of construction, including gutting and redoing our former house, building all the cabinets, etc, etc, etc. Although I know I need to head into this with a different mindset (DO NOT OVERBUILD), this experience gives me the confidence to take on this project. AND it gives my wife confidence in me to do it! She will definitely help as well when needed.

I am basing the design on the Wyoming Woody, which fits as I am from Wyoming :) It will most likely be a woody as well, but still locking in some of those final details. Most of it will be fairly standard, 5' wide to fit a queen bed (extended it a tiny bit from Ryan's Wyoming Woody plans to fit a full length queen).

We are building on a Northern Tool 5x8, and I have some guys in town cutting and drilling a tongue extension for me (Like X-Cubed and others have done)

Here are some pictures!

Messing with a few designs (Cub and Wyoming Woody)

First pickup load for this project (Floor which will be 1/4 ACX; 1x4 Frame with insulation, 1/2 ACX)

Used my router to make a scarf joint out of the 1/4" Lauan to make my template

I quickly realized that I was not very impressed with the Lauan!
Last edited by peterblomberg on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Re: New build in Wyoming

Postby peterblomberg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:38 pm

I am posting these pictures as clickable thumbnails, but if people prefer a different method, let me know. Also, I have more photos in my gallery, but some of them are redundant.

More Pictures:

Plotting some points! I have taught school for ten years and enjoy math/geometry. So, this was fun!

Put nails in to guide myself as I drew the profile.

After realizing I did not have any good scrap to help me draw, I found a little tube that worked great...except - it made me lose 1/4" of space. However, I made sure to put it on the opposite side of the nails on the others side of the profile to gain me back that 1/4". The only problem, is now my grid lines do not start right on the end of the teardrop which is not a big deal.

Taking it slow!

Template all cut out. I spent some time sanding the edges smoother after this picture was taken. My scarf joint is a bit rough there, but I will get better before I do it on my final sheets.

I am headed to Denver tomorrow to buy some 1/8" birch for skinning the headliner and roof. The goal this week is to get the trailer finished, floor built, and tar the bottom. Then I leave for tour (I'm currently a musician) for two weeks.
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Your post reads like, with all your experience, you don't need any luck; but, good luck anyhow. We'll be watching! :SG
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby sagebrush » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:57 pm

:thumbsup: Looks like you are off to a great start! :thumbsup: We need more teardrops in Wyoming 8)
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Yeah for WOODIES!!!

You will do great. Just keep in mind you are building like an airplane, not like a tank. :-)

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby peterblomberg » Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks everyone! Was on the road a few weeks, but got home a week ago - so back to work! Will do a few posts to update where I am at.

Finishing the floor last week.

Found a great piece of 1/4" birch for one of the outer skins

Toyota Pickup getting the job done!
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby peterblomberg » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Used my template to route out both sides!

Stretched some plywood

Getting ready to use my router

One outer skin done!

Getting the 2nd side ready to trim

Started making the frame

Doubled all the pieces once I had the first one cut out

Pocket holed, glued, and then used my flush trim bit to achieve one frame!
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby peterblomberg » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

I also got most of the "studs"/framing finished on one of the frames, and will copy it onto the other frame. Currently working on getting a template ready for my door and STUDYING, STUDYING, STUDYING to get ready for the next steps which include: Cut off 1 5/8" of the frame to create the headliner ledge, cut out and frame the door, start thinking about the hatch placement... and lots more of course!

Quite enjoying the build so far even though all the cuts for the framing got a little tedious. I really have never used a router for anything before besides doing a roundover on a stair step I built - so it was quite fun to use the flush trim bit and see the teardrop shape take form! I literally stood and smiled like a fool after i got the first outer skin cut out with the router. I was very proud!!
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 11, 2017 6:26 am

Looking good! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Thu May 11, 2017 8:03 am

Stick framing is fun. Looks great so far. :thumbsup:
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Dirtclod » Thu May 11, 2017 8:19 am

Looks Good. I took a shortcut and cut 3/4 plywood for the internal wall. More expensive im sur but it was quicker.

Your build looks good. Cant wait to see those sides all epoxied up and shiny.
Dirtclod
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobes » Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 am

You should be proud of your work. It's hard to build something that will stand up to weather and travel, even with all the help you find here and other places. Do something every day, or as often as you can, and pretty soon you'll be camping.

"easy camping is hard work"
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby peterblomberg » Fri May 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Dirtclod wrote:Looks Good. I took a shortcut and cut 3/4 plywood for the internal wall. More expensive im sur but it was quicker.

Your build looks good. Cant wait to see those sides all epoxied up and shiny.

Thanks, I'm excited for that as well. I went back and forth about using plywood for the internal and finally decided I could spend a little more time with the frame and save the money so I can spend it somewhere else.
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby peterblomberg » Fri May 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Nobes wrote:You should be proud of your work. It's hard to build something that will stand up to weather and travel, even with all the help you find here and other places. Do something every day, or as often as you can, and pretty soon you'll be camping.

"easy camping is hard work"

Thanks! True words...
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby peterblomberg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:10 pm

Well, since it has been a month, I figured I would update a bit. Been slowly making progress. I will be ready to put the walls up in a few more days and then it will really be moving along! I am leaving at the end of the week to play some more music, so I may wait until I am back from that to get the walls up. We'll see!

Couple posts to show where I am at:

Trying out the template for the doors

Template glued to one of the skins

Routing around the template

And, it looks good! I decided to make my own doors, because I really liked when the grain on the doors matched. AND I did not want a square door.
peterblomberg
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals