SoapCreek Adventure Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

SoapCreek Adventure Trailer

Postby soapcreek » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Hello. I'm from Iowa and this is my declaration of intent to build. The official build won't start for a few more weeks as I still have quite a few details to work out and I'm currently working on finishing a small utility trailer. I would say a Benroy is the closes thing to match my drawings to date but I'm still working on it. My goal is to have it completed by the end of March. Anyways I thought it was time to step up and say hi and quit looking in from the outside.

Plans so far...

01) Trailer frame built from 2x2 tubing
02) 360 trailer hitch (I haven't settled on a brand yet)
03) Timbren axle-less suspension
04) 5x10 size
05) Core of sidewalls constructed from 3/4 ply with pockets to remove weight and allow for insulation
06) On board water tank
07) Line-x bedliner for exterior finish
08) Purchase RV doors & windows
09) Roof vent
10) Roof rack
11) Electrical w/ solar capabilities contained within tongue box

All advice and constructive criticism welcome. If you have a strong suggestion on products to use or not use let me hear them.
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Re: SoapCreek Adventure Trailer

Postby txcamper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Looking forward to the build, I'm getting the itch to build another and I'm back to browsing for ideas
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby KTM_Guy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I'm going to watch this. I've been getting things together for my build. Very similar to your build.
01) 2X2 probably 11ga. Wheels and tires to match TV.
02) I'm going to go with a 2" receiver hitch on the trailer side that way I can use any hitch I want and remove the hitch at camp when we go out exploring.
03) yup, 2000# Heavy Duty with 4" lift
04) I'm a little under, I started with a full XL mattress and designed off that.
05) 1" sides for extra insulation. Probably over kill.
06) yup
07) I'm planning on bedliner on the roof and fenders, painted alu skins.
08-11) the same.

Water heater, shower, storage for port-a-potty (must have for wife), some type of tent for shower/toilet.

Where do you plan on the adventure taking you? What's your Tow Vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby soapcreek » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

TV is a 2017 Ford Raptor. First big trip will be to Idaho. We’ve been driving straight through (22 hrs) the last two times we’ve gone but I’m planning to make the journey there and back more leisurely this time around.
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:10 pm

Welcome.

Where about in Idaho do you plan to go? The reason I ask is because the Nez Perce Trail (between Frank Church and Bitterroot) is a big driving force behind my The Poet Creek Express (TPCE) build.

I, too had thoughts of on board water supply early in my build, but logistics and advice from other more experienced TD campers convinced me that portable containers offer more versatility, and less maintenance, especially for those of us who live in regions with freezing weather. The most clever ones store spouted jugs where their spigots can be used in gravity feed mode; no pump, no chance of leaking, take it out in the winter, easier to clean and sanitize than a built in, and if you don't need it for a particular trip you can allocate the space for something else. $0.02

Good luck with the rest of your build; I look forward to following along.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby soapcreek » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Idaho City which is just north of Boise is the destination primarily but we would be looking for other areas to explore also. I spent a couple days in Utah this past October and loved it so that will make it on the travel plans as well. I’ve participated in the Idaho City 100 Enduro the last couple of years. I see your points on the portable jugs. An on demand hot water heater isn’t a necessity but a future nice to have which is why I’m thinking on board water tank. I’ll have to give that some more thought.
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Where has January gone? I'm no where near where I need to be on my other project but it's time to put it on the back burner and get started on this Benroy if I have any hopes of getting some use out of it this year. I finally spent some time taking my scratch drawings and building a formal drawing. I converted my cnc plasma table into a router table over the weekend. This will be my first time using it setup with a router so there will be a learning curve. Plan is to cut out some saw horse pieces for practice before turning myself loose on my side walls. At this point it could be total success or complete failure. The journey is half the fun anyway right.

So the plan...

1) Roughly 5x10 overall size
2) Bottom 12" will be storage. Back half of storage accessible from within the cabin. Front half accessible from exterior baggage doors. Divider between.
3) Sidewalls will be made of 3/4" ply with pockets milled for 1/2" foam insulation (not shown in drawing). 1/4" Interior cover to be decided. Overall thickness of 1"
4) Door will be 26x36. Set 15" from the front
5) 12" Diameter Port Style Window
6) Galley is 26" deep at its widest.

I hope to get time to cut & build the saw horses this week. That will educate me on which path I'm heading down with the cnc(success/failure). Anyways, let me know what you think of the drawings so far.
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 pm

Soapy:

Your head's cranking away!

Anyways, let me know what you think of the drawings so far.

I would be concerned that your door might be so far off the ground it may be somewhat of a chore to get into. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:44 am

... and perhaps (the side doors) too far forward. Search for discussions on the "sit and spin" method of entry.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby soapcreek » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Made a little more progress on the drawing. Overall door & galley height off the ground once you throw the trailer into the mix does have me concerned. I'm far enough that I'm confident the overall width and length won't change so I can progress with my trailer build. Once I have that complete I'll determine if my planned height will work for me or not. The front edge of the door has been adjusted back to 16" from the front. I'll see if I can find myself a large enough piece of cardboard to make a template to verify my sit and spin activities can be performed comfortably.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:41 pm

I don’t have much of an update but i’ve been acquiring parts for the past couple of months. I decided to hire a local trailer builder to build my frame. Dropped the necessary parts off last Thursday so hopefully will be done this coming week. Anyway we are trudging forward.
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Returned from vacation and picked up the trailer the next day. Thinking about changing her name to beefcake.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:54 pm

Looks stout. How about a few more pics?

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby soapcreek » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 am

Currently tongue is just bolted in. Once final length is determined it will be welded in.

Here is a better pic of the basket and box on the front.

Other misc pics...

Ran a few test cuts on the CNC table this past weekend. I believe I have all the bugs worked out (famous last words).

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Postby soapcreek » Sat May 12, 2018 9:00 pm

I took a break from cutting panels and did some assembly today. I have the floor, storage supports, cabin floor and partial galley wall in. Plan is to cut the side panels tomorrow.

soapcreek
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Build Journals