Benroy for my baby

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Benroy for my baby

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:16 pm

I had a thread in the newbie section but I figured this section would be more appropriate.

It took me awhile to decide on what design and wanted to use, I really liked the traditional teardrop shape and also the off road shapes but I decided on a benroy\rimple after much thought because it gave me the most cabin room without having a square back. Also this is my first build so I didn't want to make it too difficult because I want to finish by May, i bought the trailer in October.

I started off getting a used carry on trailer. I decided to use this trailer because I wanted a 5-foot width and they were issues with Harbor Freight trailer recalls.Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Re: Benroy for my baby

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:22 pm

The carry-on trailer comes with a mesh bottom and the person I bought it from put some plywood on top. I wanted to remove the mesh in create a torsion box because the frame wasn't stiff enough. On hindsight if I knew how much work it would have taken to remove the mesh I would have just bought a HF trailer. It was hours and hours of grinding metal nubs.

After cleaning it all up and grinding it down I repainted with truck bed liner I realized quickly that the frame had too much Flex and there was no place to mount a tongue box so I welded some cross teams.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:31 pm

After the frame was done I started on the torsion box. I used two by fours and lap joint to the ends and pocket hole the middle portions. I seal the bottom with roof tar and close the Box with exterior OSB. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of negative comments about using OSB over plywood but I live in Southern California and we don't get a lot of rain. I made sure to do three coats of roof tar at the bottom and to glue using PL premium. Again because I'm from Southern California I decide against using Insulation at the bottom because I only plan to go out in moderate temperatures.ImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:45 pm

After finalizing my design I started out cutting the five-by-five Baltic Birch, I decided to go with five by five because I wanted to extend the roof a few inches up and back. Also 4x8 Baltic Birch is more expensive then two sheets of five by five. I know a lot of people do a full size pattern but I just used patterns for each curve.

Having a track saw really helped with the door cut out. After i just jigsawed the curves then used my door pattern to flush trim route the rest. After completing one side of the front I used the first panel and traced it to the second. I used a router with a bearing and then came back with a flush trim bit to match the pattern.

To join the two pieces of plywood I used my Domino Joiner and made loose tenons with gorilla glue. I had to do this before I shaped the rear panel for ease of gluing. This is easier than trying to move around a sheet of 5 by 10 glued together. The loose Tenon plus the 2 two laminated quarter inch skins should be strong enough without having to put pocket holes.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:47 pm

One question I do have is how much extra room in your sleeping quarters compared to your height do you allow?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby Staryder61 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Welcome clamlamp:
Great start.. you're moving right along.. :thumbsup:
I'm a first timer also.. so will be watching your build as we progress.. we are shooting for campable around April.. :thinking:
What are you planning for the exterior?
Good luck with the rest of your build....
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Staryder61 wrote:Welcome clamlamp:
Great start.. you're moving right along..
I'm a first timer also.. so will be watching your build as we progress.. we are shooting for campable around April.. :thinking:
What are you planning for the exterior?
Good luck with the rest of your build....
I'm thinking of PMF because it offers great waterproof protection and an unlimited color variation. Do you have a build Journal? If so I would love to follow.

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Not to be a sad sack. But you may have wanted to move the door back and down to make is easier to get in. Down,so the bottom of the door don't cut into the back of your legs when sitting in the doorway. Back so you can set in the door and spin to lay down without scooting down in bed. I did the same thing. :roll:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby clamlamp » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:23 pm

KennethW wrote:Not to be a sad sack. But you may have wanted to move the door back and down to make is easier to get in. Down,so the bottom of the door don't cut into the back of your legs when sitting in the doorway. Back so you can set in the door and spin to lay down without scooting down in bed. I did the same thing. :roll:
It's currently 4 inches from the floor, is that considered too high with a mattress?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:11 am

clamlamp wrote:
KennethW wrote:Not to be a sad sack. But you may have wanted to move the door back and down to make is easier to get in. Down,so the bottom of the door don't cut into the back of your legs when sitting in the doorway. Back so you can set in the door and spin to lay down without scooting down in bed. I did the same thing. :roll:
It's currently 4 inches from the floor, is that considered too high with a mattress?

2 would be better. 4 will work. You may want a pool noodle for the bottom of the door. Or a piece of 2 by lay inside the door if it is a problem. I was just pointing it out for others building to watch out for.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 am

clam:

Our build journal is in my signature. Have fallen a little behind due to health issues and weather..
Finally a break in the weather, so started working on sealing the deck yesterday.. will get it finished this weekend and flip it. Then do the linoleum on the top side..

I understand what Kenneth is saying about the door..
How thick of a mattress will you be using?

This was brought to my attention on my first drawing,,,

KCStudly wrote:
Also on the door, the rule of thumb typically used is that you want the door sill to be no higher than about half the mattress thickness. That way the sill doesn't dig into the backs of your legs when sitting in the doorway.

The method for setting door position is commonly referred to as "sit and spin". You can use your regular (home) bed to get an initial measurement, but it also helps to have a mock-up of your door frame. Basically you sit where your bottom will be when you are laying down, roll back to pull your legs in, and spin to where your head lands on the pillow. Having the door frame mocked up helps you decide on how wide to make the door so you aren't whacking your knees or having trouble swinging your feet through. Once you get an idea of where you like the door/mattress relationship to be, double/triple check that the door opening, with all of its trim, will clear where the fender needs to be.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 pm

2 would be better. 4 will work. You may want a pool noodle for the bottom of the door. Or a piece of 2 by lay inside the door if it is a problem. I was just pointing it out for others building to watch out for.

Good to know,I appreciate your advice. I just read on the forum that the door height off the ground should be half the intended mattress size. The door is positioned pretty decent, I just tried the roll and swing and I don't have to scoot much since I'm not that tall. Not ever being in a TD before I always thought people crawled in knees first like a tent.

Our build journal is in my signature. Have fallen a little behind due to health issues and weather..
Finally a break in the weather, so started working on sealing the deck yesterday.. will get it finished this weekend and flip it. Then do the linoleum on the top side..

I understand what Kenneth is saying about the door..
How thick of a mattress will you be using?

This was brought to my attention on my first drawing,,,

Ahh your signature wasn't showing on the app, I'm on the computer now and it's there. Funny because I actually browsed your build journal before this.

I was planning on using 1/2" baltic birch on the floor above the osb, then using a 4 inch memory foam topper that I have lying around my house. So the floor that is 4 inches above the floor will be 1/2" inch below the mattress... but I know that memory foam collapses quite a bit so I may have to reconsider the thickness of my mattress.
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I was planning on using 1/2" baltic birch on the floor above the osb, then using a 4 inch memory foam topper that I have lying around my house. So the floor that is 4 inches above the floor will be 1/2" inch below the mattress... but I know that memory foam collapses quite a bit so I may have to reconsider the thickness of my mattress.

How much are getting your 1/2" Baltic for?

If I build #4, I'm going to go with a sandwich sheathed in 1/4" subfloor plywood on both sides, supported by hard foam. I get my subfloor for about $21 a sheet and it's fine. :thumbsup:

How's that 4" of memory foam feel on a hard floor? I'd suspect my hip might feel the floor. We've got 5" of high-density foam and 2" of memory foam. It makes for a deluxe bed. (Isn't that the primary reason for a teardrop?)

Image :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby clamlamp » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm

tony.latham wrote:

If I build #4, I'm going to go with a sandwich sheathed in 1/4" subfloor plywood on both sides, supported by hard foam. I get my subfloor for about $21 a sheet and it's fine.

How's that 4" of memory foam feel on a hard floor? I'd suspect my hip might feel the floor. We've got 5" of high-density foam and 2" of memory foam. It makes for a deluxe bed. (Isn't that the primary reason for a teardrop?)

Tony
I'm getting 5'x5' 1\2" baltic birch bbb quality for $22 and change a sheet so like $25 after CA Lumber tax and sales tax. How about where you are at?

Ya i am worried about the memory foam only as well. I also have half inch kids mat floor foam at home if that doesnt work.

Tony, where do you get your foam at?

clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm

clamlamp wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

If I build #4, I'm going to go with a sandwich sheathed in 1/4" subfloor plywood on both sides, supported by hard foam. I get my subfloor for about $21 a sheet and it's fine.

Tony
I'm getting 5'x5' 1\2" baltic birch bbb quality for $22 and change a sheet so like $25 after CA Lumber tax and sales tax. How about where you are at?

Ya i am worried about the memory foam only as well. I also have half inch kids mat floor foam at home if that doesnt work.

Tony, where do you get your foam at?

I'm in the middle of Idaho. I buy our foam from The Foam Factory: https://i.imgur.com/0Pgi2df.jpg

I wish I could get 1/2" BB that cheap!

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals