Noname Foamie build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Noname Foamie build

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:50 am

I made the first purchase today that will go into my as yet unnamed foamie build. I've been lurking and reading for a few years now and have learned a great deal from the foamie pioneers ... many thanks to all of you.

Although I'm not planning on starting the build until late fall, I went ahead and ordered an NT 5x8 trailer kit, which should arrive by April 10. I figured that with an impending trade war, prices on the trailer have nowhere to go but up. We are planning a 2 month trip out west in summer '20, so I've got a couple of years yet to build it. I'm semi-retired (1 week on, 1 week off till full retirement 9/19) so will have plenty of time to work on it. I still have to make a space to do the build. My barn is 32x32, and I've build a wood shop in half of it. I'm planning on pouring a level concrete slab sometime this summer in the center section of the remaining half. I may even close it in so I can work in the winter as well.
Barn.png
Barn.png (8 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

My plans aren't fully cast in stone yet, but I considered several things during the designing phase:
  1. SWMBO says we have to have a porta potty. A Luggable Loo is on the radar.
  2. Rear galley of some sort. Cooking outdoors will keep us 'camping' instead of 'rv-ing'.
  3. AC for hot weather camping. removeable when not needed. consider a slideout.
  4. Elevated queen sized bed convertible to dinette.
  5. Extra floor space for our 2 boys (dogs) to sleep ... 45 and 80 lbs
  6. Definitely under 1500 lb loaded ... under 1000 lb empty weight. TV is Honda Odyssey.
  7. Larger wheels/tires
  8. trying to stay in 5x10 footprint, but would extend to 11 if necessary

Here is what I'm thinking:
Trailer:
  • use 2 crossmembers to extend the frame sides to 10'
  • axle over springs to lower the trailer floor
  • replace those crossmembers with treated 2x4s.
  • relocate axle
  • 2 pcs 1/2"x5'x5' Baltic Birch plywood floor on frame, 1" xps glued to underside.
  • reinforce/extend tongue with 2"x2"x8' steel tubing from 2nd crossmember thru flipped coupler mounting plate.

Cabin:
  • sort of a tall reverse BenRoy shape, 5' high.
  • 2" foam board shell covered in 10oz duck using TB2 (PMF)
  • 12" radius top to back, 24" radius top to front, made using 2 layers kerfed 1" foam (Kerfs facing each other).
  • Bottom section of galley would be a 24" deep cabinet slideout around 16-18" high (to make the counter top 3' from ground level).
  • Top section of galley would be full width shelves/cabinets 8" deep
  • This makes a bench across the back of the cabin about 18" h and 18" deep.
  • Side benches 18" x 18" x 5' along each side will make a U shaped seating area.
  • Table at center of dinette drops to make bed platform about 60" x 78".
  • side benches provide lots of storage for gear.
  • single door about 24" x 48". shallow cabinet across front houses power center, AC unit, storage for loo and other gear.

During the day the interior will be in 'bench' mode, with or without table set up
At night the interior will be in 'bed' mode with the loo set up opposite the door. This will result in a 2'x5' space under the bed and 2'x3' space at the foot of the bed for the boys (our dogs) to sleep.

NonameFoamie1.PNG
NonameFoamie1.PNG (54.35 KiB) Viewed 5172 times

So the adventure begins ...
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Re: Noname Foamie build

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:44 am

I have not yet poured the concrete slab in the barn, but during a few recent rainy days I went ahead and began assembling the trailer. I have the main rectangular part of the frame assembled (extended to 11' as explained below), but now I've decided that I want brakes on the trailer, so yesterday I ordered a Dexter #9 torsion axle with brakes, low profile, 10° down angle, de-rated to 1500 lbs.It should be here in a couple of weeks. Also ordering 14" tires with alloy wheels to jazz it up a bit. The torsion axle mounted directly to the frame will function like one of the cross members (xmbr) and will stiffen the frame, so I may only need to add 1 or 2 new xmbrs.

I used 2 of the existing xmbrs nested inside the side rails to extend it to 11' long. I mounted the back rail on top of the side rail extension, which makes the top of the back rail the same level as the top of the 8' portion of the side rail. When you build this trailer kit as per the instructions, the xmbrs sit below the top of the side rails, so you need to add some material to fill the gap before adding the floor. With mine the gaps will exist on the front xmbr, the new angle iron xmbrs, and the side extensions.

I have a local shop making a tongue extension out of 2 x 2 square steel tubing about 7'8" long. I will invert the coupler plate 154328 --> 154329 supplied in the kit and run this extension thru it, and attach to the bottom of the front rail and second xmbr. They are welding a short piece of 2.5 x 2.5 square steel tubing on top of one end for the existing coupler to be mounted on. They are also welding on 2 chain coupling links 154330 to add the safety chains, and are supplying me with 2 lengths of 2" Angle iron to use as new xmbrs. They gave me a rough estimate of $75 to $100 for all this.

So if I can sell the standard axle, leaf springs, hangers, hubs, and tires on craigs list for a decent price my 5x11 trailer with brakes will end up being just about $1k.

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby DaddyJeep » Fri May 11, 2018 11:32 am

Sounds like a good build plan to me. :thumbsup:
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby lincolnlerner » Sat May 12, 2018 1:08 pm

The torsion axle mounted directly to the frame will function like one of the cross members (xmbr) and will stiffen the frame, so I may only need to add 1 or 2 new xmbrs.

Took me a minute to get this. You mean the longitudinal members from the axle will help stiffen that area.

At first I was confused. Could not figure out how a torsion axle would replace a cross-member.

Great plans so far. Can't wait for the shape and pics!
lincolnlerner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:19 pm

New 14" alloy wheels / tires arrived today. I'm pretty pleased with their look.

Still waiting on the Dexter axle next week.
Once I finish assembling the trailer, I'll hook up the stock lights to get it registered, then it will be parked until fall when I start the foamie build.
I'll remove and re-use the lights on my utility trailer, and get some nicer ones for the foamie.

[edited description and added better videos]
There will be 2 slideouts 3' deep by 18" tall by 18" wide. The left slideout contains a Coleman stove and cabinets for cookware and staples. It also has a sink cabinet with drawers that swings out and latches in place next to the Coleman Stove. The right slideout contains the cooler and a small cabinet. There is also a drop down countertop to complete the U shaped galley.
Galley opening:

Galley closing:
Last edited by Homebrewer25 on Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby PatrickM » Sat May 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:New 14" alloy wheels / tires arrived today. I'm pretty pleased with their look.

Nice rims - 8)
Be kind and respectful to everyone - but dont take sh!t from nobody!
PatrickM
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed May 23, 2018 11:39 am

looks like a solid plan. :thumbsup:
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm

I managed to recoup $150 of my trailer cost by selling the (stock) axle, springs, hubs, and tires/wheels this morning. :applause:

It doesn't make up for the cost of the new wheels/tires and the new Dexter torflex axle, but every little bit helps. My goal is to keep it under 1500 lb loaded and around $4000 in materials. I think I can, I think I can, ...
Last edited by Homebrewer25 on Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Thu May 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Homebrewer25 wrote:I managed to recoup $150 of my trailer cost by selling the axle, springs, hubs, and tires/wheels this morning. :applause:

It doesn't make up for the cost of the new wheels/tires and the new Dexter torflex axle, but every little bit helps. My goal is to keep it under 1500 lb loaded and around $4000 in materials. I think I can, I think I can, ...
  • Good luck on that...my build has purposely been undocumented, so the wife doesn't have any idea how much I spent. I did keep meticulous records of the materials and items I used, to try to balance the trailer properly, but it also shows how far away from my original plan of 1000 lbs it went. I reckon that I may have gone 5+ times over my $500 build estimate (as promised to the wife), as well as twice the trailer weight goal. I buy stuff now, retired at home, that I can no longer hide at my friend's shop, or at work, so she keeps my purchases "under control".
  • I had many parts left from the build (ongoing, with mods after every trip for 5 years), which I've used for further mods or other projects, but I gave away my old axle (with new/larger hubs, springs and hangers still attached,and $80 aluminum 4-lug to 5 lug spacer/adapters) and a complete 48" x 29" awning-style RV window I couldn't fit into my 4x8 trailer. We were making space in the garage for room to store our house contents (the overflow from 2 storage pods and 3 sheds...see my emergency new home project thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69239&hilit=+new+home+project), so my handyman helper got them. he is fixing up his garage/shed/living space nearby, so he could incorporate the window, and he was wanting to build a small trailer to haul his tools around, so the free axle was perfect for that.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:22 am

Working,

I guess I'm pretty lucky in that my better half is all-in on me building this TTT. So cost is not too much of an issue as long as I don't get way out of line. Goals are good to have, but I'm not going to stress over exceeding my budget by 25-50% (goal of 4K, but 5K or 6K is OK)

I think my main concern is keeping it to 1500 lb or less since I ordered the Dexter Torflex derated to 1500 lb.

Another concern I have is that every time I think I have the design finalized, I see another build thread with some great ideas that lead me to question some of my design decisions. But if I keep designing I'll never get around to building, so I've got to cut off the changes and go with what I've designed at some point in time. With the trailer (not the body) nearly done I have until fall to finalize my cabin design.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm

I got a call from SE freight yesterday afternoon to arrange delivery of my axle. They wanted to come out Tuesday and asked if a Tractor Trailer can get to my house.

After a good laugh :lol: I explained that I'm nearly on top of a mountain up a long curvy road :frightened: , then onto a narrower side road. He would never make it up the side road and I would have had to meet the driver somewhere anyway, so I said I'd come pick it up. That way I could get it before this weekend, and although it was a 50 mile drive, it gave me an opportunity to visit with some homebrewer friends for a few beers.

So this morning I went out and started working on the trailer. I squared up the frame, tightened the bolts real good, then installed the axle. I flipped the trailer (that was fun by myself ... ropes and pulleys were were involved) and then put the new wheels on. I also bolted on the 2 extension jacks on the back corners.

The torsion arms on the axle clear the frame side by about a half inch, the tire clears the frame by about 1 3/4", and the outside-outside total width with wheels and tires is 79 1/2" ... perfect!

So I stood the trailer up vertically on its rear end to lean against the shop wall inside the barn until the next time I work on it. Pulleys and ropes were involved again, along with using the winch on my UTV to hoist it up.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:31 am

After a 3+ month wait, I went to the shop that was making my tongue extension and picked up my parts (I had left the coupler mounting plate and the 2 chain links with them). They apologized for the delay, but said they have been overwhelmed by work and have not been able to get to walk-in jobs. No problem ... I just went and bought the steel ($63) and a new coupler ($20 ... to mount on 2" bar instead of 2.5") and will make the tongue extension myself.

Yesterday I took my Northern Tool invoice and the Mfg Cert of Origin to the DMV and got a permanent trailer plate for $110. Yearly registration is $20, so if I have the trailer for 6 years it will be more economical this way. It was nice that I didn't have to bring the trailer in to get it registered, so I didn't have to temporarily install the light system. I should have the trailer frame completed within the next week or two, and will post some pics when that is done.

Jeanne said she thought that the TTT should have a name, which I wholeheartedly agree with. When I pressed her for some of her ideas she said that I should be patient ... the TTT will reveal its name at some point during the build. I sure hope I don't do something stupid like cut my thumb off or something ... imagine the name that would reveal itself at that time :frightened:

I've been working a bit on a Sketchup rendition and thought I'd share it. I've only done the basic shell so far (no interior structure yet ... just the mattress). I'm trying to make the tongue box wide enough to store a 10x10 popup (4 ft long), a couple of camp chairs, wheel chocks, tools, solar panel, etc. The access doors will be on the ends, and the smaller box on top will house the AC unit. It will have access doors on each side that will be open during operation to vent the heat.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:39 am

I had expected to begin working on the trailer cabin by now, but I don't have a heated space to build in. So other fall/winter projects have become a priority. I've spent most of the past 3 months working on finishing out my shop (insulation, sheet rock, tool stands and layout, dust collection system) and building a bathroom and bedroom in my basement. Those are still works in progress, but when spring arrives (warm enough for gluing foam) I can begin working on the foamie on nice days, while working in the basement on foul weather days. I've got all the forms in place for pouring the 12' x 16' concrete pad in the remainder of the barn, but it got too cold to pour the concrete. Once the weather turns I'll get that done.

The trailer itself is mostly done. It has been extended to 5' x 11', with a 3' tongue extension for a total length of 17'. I still have to add a couple of cross members, and an additional support structure to the frame so that I can hang the battery box from the frame right behind the axle, and a spare tire winch behind that. The spare tire winch will be operated by a battery powered drill with a long extension.

My design has changed a little.
  • discard the swing out sink cabinet idea. make a cutout in the fold down counter top to use a large SS mixing bowl or steam tray for a removable sink.
  • discard dinette idea. Instead make a sofa across the back of the cabin that slides forward to extend out to a bed.
  • Slightly arch the top from front to back so that the center will be about 2-3" higher. this should help rain runoff.

I may decide to shorten the tongue extension a bit. at 17' overall length it is the same length as my TV. I'll wait until I take the trailer out on the road a bit (without the cabin) to see how it handles ... specifically backing up.

There won't be much progress for a few more months, but when I get back to it I'd like to at least get the cabin shell exterior done. I'd like to be able to use it this August for our 22nd annual 4 day homebrew club campout :beer: , even without a galley and finished cabin.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Homebrewer25 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 am

My floor will be 2+ sheets of 1/2" 5 x 5 BB plywood that is either biscuit, spline, or lap joined to 5 x 11. It will be supported so there is no more than a 2' distance between cross members. I will insulate the underside as shown in the pic ... the idea is not only to insulate (bed will be elevated, so I need to insulate the floor), but to smooth out the underside to cut wind resistance while towing. If there are any small gaps in the foam I can cover with peel and stick metal tape to get it as smooth as I can. I want the deck to be as low to the ground as practical so my galley fold down counter will not be too high off the ground (shooting for 3', same as standard kitchen countertop).

I'm planning to have a diamond plate skirt on the sides that will overlap and hide the frame of the trailer, also serving as a drip edge. I may extend this so that it covers the side of the A frame as well. I'll make a hot wire jig to rabbet the bottom inside edges of the sides, then attach with bolts thru the skirt, foam, and frame to lock the sides in place. This way I can attach/remove the sides as needed during construction, then at final assembly (after skinning with canvas) I can glue it and add the lag screws.

Since I only have 1/2" of clearance between the outside of the frame and the torsion arms of the axle, I will have to remove about 3/4" of foam where needed to provide additional clearance.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Return to Build Journals