Boat Trailer + Truck Cap = Boondock Bed

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Boat Trailer + Truck Cap = Boondock Bed

Postby Joel.brian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Love it. I’d still stick with some kind of couch or bench that converts to a bed for hanging out in inclement weather but that’s just me.

Turned out nice and I much prefer the silver bullet look over the giant banana hah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ferbal » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:47 am

Joel.brian wrote:Love it. I’d still stick with some kind of couch or bench that converts to a bed for hanging out in inclement weather but that’s just me.

Turned out nice and I much prefer the silver bullet look over the giant banana hah

The mattress has a built in air pump for quick inflation or deflation so in the case of inclement weather the plan is to deflate the mattress and bring our camp chairs inside. It was the simple practical solution from my better looking half, she is smart like that. The only down side to the air mattress solution is that there is no storage. Unless we plan to empty out the trailer every time we inflate the mattress. I don’t see this as a huge issue because we usually travel lite.

ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joel.brian » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:30 am

That will work!

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ferbal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 pm

It's been a bit since I a have posted. I tested her out with a 150 mile trip to Maine. She held up great, so yesterday we departed New Hampshire for Idaho. I am sitting in Nebraska as I write this. 1500+ miles and all is well. I suspect at the end of the season or another 4k in miles I may have to retape a few of the seams but nothing structural or detrimental has gone wrong.

So as a proof of concept yes 3/4 EMT will work fine for framing the shell (I would not consider it for the structural trailer frame). And 4mm corrugated plastic with zip ties and gorrilla tape can handle 75mph and keep you dry while you sleep.
ferbal
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Joel.brian » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Awesome bro

Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals