Woody Benroy for 4...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Woody Benroy for 4...

Postby Aramais » Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 am

Well hopefully this goes as planned. I've been off and on building for a couple of years. Had to move in the middle of this build, and the wife lost her job as well.

Overall plan is for a benroy with bunks. I stretched a 4x8 Harbor Freight trailer to 4x10. I'm building over the wheels. So there will be no fenders.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Woody Benroy for 4...

Postby John61CT » Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am

Nice platform!

Going deckover gives so much potential storage space under the floor, along the outsides. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Aramais » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Well I've made it back from a trip to Dublin. Now on to making more sawdust.

Managed to get the bunks, the galley, and the interior cabinets cut out.

I've also routed out one of the walls for said cut outs.ImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 am

Had to say how nice your work looks. It's going to turn out a very high quality and good looking camper. I too know what it's like to have a build go on for a few years. This is the first year I've been able to really put some time in on mine. Plus I only have seasonal work space. Have to shut it down in the late fall. Keep pluggin. It will get done!
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Aramais » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:17 am

Thanks John and Mr Lahey

Well I finished routing the other wall, gave the floor a coat of primer.

And more importantly hung the walls and put up the bunks.ImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Got the interior cabinet face in and the galley. ImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Today I reinforced the top bunk.
Finished the bottom bunk and it's storage compartment.
Finished the interior cabinets shelves and placed the AC in to test the fit.ImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am

Got some of the wiring done.
Headliner is in
1 sheet of foam insulation is in.ImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:31 am

• Your carpentry looks good, much better than mine, and I like your galley arrangement (mine is storage only, alas!), but I have a question about your A/C framing. Surely you have a plan for the underside support of the A/C unit, and for the handling of dripped condensation that most all A/C units produce? I see no signs, so far, of how you'll do this, since your cabin/galley bulkhead behind the A/C seems solidly sealed.
  • air con frame sans drip pan.jpg
    air con frame sans drip pan.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
  • I incorporated a drip pan into my so-called "galley", sized to hold a Reliance Aquatainer, with a drain tube routed out & under the trailer. My LG 5000 BTU A/C unit has never once dripped into it, (probably since LG's use up most, if not all water produced, in cooling the chassis coils); but then, my A/C exhaust is fully enclosed, and might evaporate any excess condensate before it can drip.
  • drip pan & galley setups.jpg
    drip pan & galley setups.jpg (339.28 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
  • This is just a question of/reminder of, if you have plans for the drip pan, prior to getting wet feet in bed some night.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Aramais » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Got all the insulation in. It sat a little proud of the walls, so they met the belt sander. After wards I glued with a PL premium safe for foam. And used a brad nailer to secure the roof panels.

I backed out some of the horizontal spars screws and attached a piece of twine so I would know where to shoot the nails.

I let the roof panels sit a little over and came back with a flush trim router bit to even it up.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Next I made the cabinet and drawers.

The frame boards are poplar and the panels are 1/2" birch. The drawers are made from 1/2" pine. I used 10" full extension glides.ImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:12 pm

I seem to have my posts out of order as I did electrical before the roof... Whatever.

I'm using the WFCO WF-8735 for my power center. I powered up the 120v side first so I could use the trailer to plug my soldering iron into it to hook up the 12v side.

Each of the 12v sockets is 2 usb and a "cigarette lighter" socket so that 12v blankets or whatever could be used if we wanted to later on.

I have a 120v & 12v outlet in the galley and in 3 corners of the teardrop the corner with the power center only has a 12v.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:19 pm

This AC stuff was before the roof too.

For any drips the AC makes I used a cookie sheet and cut off the handles to fit my spot. I then made a bulkhead and ran a hose out of the trailer.

I put vents in the side of the enclosure and a vent in the back as well. The vent I originally put in was too small. So now I have one almost the entire size of the AC enclosure. That pulls from the galley.

The blocks of wood in front of the cookie sheet is for the AC's front feet to sit on to give it a rearward lean.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aramais » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:26 pm

I can't seem to find the freshly stained teardrop pic, but whatever on to fiberglass.

I'm using a 6oz weave from us composites as well as there 2:1 epoxy.

I have 3 coats on so far. The close up shows there are still a few spots that haven't filled in the weave just yet. I feel I will only need one more coat.ImageImageImageImage

Aramais
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals