Tiny Trailer Frame Up Rebuild - SLEEPER

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tiny Trailer Frame Up Rebuild - 1978 Play Mor

Postby HMK » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:14 am

Hot today, wasn't it? I have gotten to where I want a cooler climate. When I was young, I loved this weather, but I'm old now and would like 70 degrees year round
HMK
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:43 am

HMK wrote:Hot today, wasn't it? I have gotten to where I want a cooler climate. When I was young, I loved this weather, but I'm old now and would like 70 degrees year round

I will never be able to afford to move and I pretty much live on my dream property so I am here for the duration, at least I don't have to deal with harsh winters and no state tax LOL...
Attachments
Woodlands.jpg
Woodlands.jpg (352.35 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby tmclemore » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm

2bits wrote:Not much going on the past couple days, I did do about a million little things 2 days ago, I called it loose ends day! did alot of little stuff and installed a bunch of face frames. Next photo should be a 95% completed interior minus the entire bathroom which shouldn't take long since all the panels are already cut and stained but right now nothing photo worthy.

Also, production stopped yesterday when I picked up this '71 Shasta Compact. Since cash reserves are running low and this one doesn't need too much I've been working on it to do a quick turn on it. We are expecting a really wet weekend again ugh but I am hoping by mid week next week I will have it up on eBay and that will keep me in beer and peanuts so I can finish the Play Mor before my first big rally in three weeks so the time crunch is ON but I an literally 3 days away from putting the ceiling in it (after I get the Shasta done that is...)... Man I am glad I have all day to do this! :worship:
Wow where do you find these jewels? I have been looking for vintage trailers with very little luck. That looks like a great find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:31 pm

They are really becoming hard to come by, this one came from my sister though so it was a unique situation, she is going to get a Cassita
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby rockinrobin » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:48 am

2bits wrote:They are really becoming hard to come by, this one came from my sister though so it was a unique situation, she is going to get a Cassita

Driving through and around on the back roads of New Mexico you see lots of those old trailers. I guess the climate helps preserve them. I think of you every time I see one.
I have had my Casita for a about three months now. Spent 19 nights in it. Really like it. I think your Sister will like one. My Tacoma gets 15, 16 mpg towing it. That is acceptable. :beer: Cheers
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:44 am

A bonus with Cassita's is that they are made locally so you can pick on up factory direct without a dealer upcharge but that is secondary to their real quality, they are one of a very short list of new campers that I would ever recommend to someone looking to buy a new one and because of this, they are very desirable and always will be and thus hold their value unlike a box trailer which will leak within 5 years and depreciate insanely fast. My sister is not mechanically inclined and her hubby is not a camper so I think this was a great decision for her and it helps me keep going with my projects and not having to get a real job! :lol: I was hoping to get this up for sale in just a few days but unfortunately it is going to torrentially rain for the next five dang days!!! So I am just going to do what I can to my camper with the doors closed (no making sawdust!)
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 am

Hey Thomas!

Just checking in on you to make sure you're not holding back build pictures from us. :lol: We have been getting crazy amounts of rain, and I know that has dampened (pun intended) my spirits in getting out in my garage to work on my projects.

One of these days, my schedule is going to clear up and I am going to get our your way to visit.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:03 am

aggie79 wrote:Hey Thomas!

Just checking in on you to make sure you're not holding back build pictures from us. :lol: We have been getting crazy amounts of rain, and I know that has dampened (pun intended) my spirits in getting out in my garage to work on my projects.

One of these days, my schedule is going to clear up and I am going to get our your way to visit.

Take care,
Tom

What Tom said + 1 :pictures: :roll: ;)

The temperature change should help, major drop... if the rain's not holding you up now....
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Been a while since a post. Interior is just about done enough to go camping, and I am putting on the ceiling and things will start to wrap up quickly. still working on the Shasta along side this one so I can make equal progress on them since I need to sell it by the end of the month but this camper is ALL MINE! 8)
Attachments
IMG_9731.JPG
IMG_9731.JPG (100.05 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_9739.JPG
IMG_9739.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_9886.JPG
IMG_9886.JPG (92.69 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:01 am

Looking real nice there, Thomas. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 am

Thomas,

Good to hear from you! The cannned ham is looking fantastic!

How are you doing the finish on the interior ply? Is it brushed/rolled or sprayed? Either way, I am amazed at the quality of the sheen.

I'm still planning on getting out your way some day.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Staryder61 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 am

Looking great Thomas, really like the interior, wood grain and finish.. :applause:
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks guys, I am so looking forward to camping in this (and camping again in general!!) Tom I prestIn, then stain with a rag, then the polyurethane goes on with a brush. I used to use Minwax but the I discovered this other brand, "Cabot" which goes on thicker and doesn't have that horrible chemical smell! I swear by it now. These cieling panels only have ONE coat on them! I wanted a little more of a satin look for the cieling so I tried one coat and they look perfect!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:40 am

I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy! The camper is done and dubbed "SLEEPER" like old hot rods, it uses most of the original skin so it looks like a regular camper but then under the hood it is a screamin beauty. Finished it to "campable" last weekend and went camping for the first time last weekend. Everything went great. Another trip in two weeks, then another the following week, then another every other week until June. 8)
Attachments
Interior.JPG
Interior.JPG (123.45 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
IMG_3170.JPG
IMG_3170.JPG (101.04 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG (199.19 KiB) Viewed 2363 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby steve cowan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:34 pm