Build 2 begins: hybrid foamie

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Build 2 begins: hybrid foamie

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:18 am

what else can you do but laugh. I try to find humor where I can. Keeps me sane.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 am

ok so now that I'm stuck in an arm sling from hell and cryo sleeve around my shoulder I have been working on plans.

First thing is going to plasti dip my CRV. So final coating will be plasti dip as well to match the color exactly.

Going to be PMF shell just more work done to smooth it out before spraying on DIP.

I'll leave the color details as a surprise until my CRV is done.

I did find that 5 bolt hubs have the same bolt pattern as my CRV, so matching wheels will be on the wanted list.

now try to picture rest cause I cant draw right now and my right arm is in the sling.

5x10 customized trailer. Basic look will be something with front very similar to my previous build but back will get angled top and bottom. Considering options of either expand camper over the wheels or build side "pods" for storage and a unique look.

Galley will be drawer pull out style to the side in the front. Simple like before but with top space to hold camp stove. Not sure I can pull it off but I kind of want to have basically the noise of the trailer slide out so everything is right there.

Rear will be large hatch completely open to inside so I can haul mountain bikes and such inside.

There will be a fold down upper bunk for our 5 yr old till him and our 12 yr old son can manage to sleep together in close quarters without killing each other. Though making the rear hatch into the roof for a "tent" may be better since some places campers and tents are not allowed on the same site,even for kids.

Construction will be very light. Trailer not AS light as I want but I want a trailer I can use without the camper on.

But camper itself I'm thinking 3/4 xps with 1x2 set flat then sandwiched between extremely thin underlayment and then PMF over that. Roof I dont think I'll do flat, not sure. Weight goal is fully loaded for a weekend or so at 1000lbs. Hopefully much lower but we shall see. If I can get to 800 I'd be ecstatic. But that will be dependant on what the base trailer weighs when done. Should be doable if trailer stays under 250 lbs.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Ok after getting tired of trying to sort out a trailer I gave up and asked on FB if anywhere around here sold steel. Got put in touch with a guy who works at an area metal fab shop.

picture is worth a thousand words. Does it include the really long pieces for the the trailer deck though as they are laying next to my CRV atm.Image

Looks like I should stay under my 300lb trailer weight goal pretty easily. Thinking pretty closer to 200lbs when completed.

Right now working on how to go with independant coil suspension instead of old school leaf springs. Want to do something different and unique. Actually going to measure the rear struts of my CRV as I need to replace them soon anyway. And then are nothing more than non-adjustable coil overs

A lot of design going into this trailer as I am wanting as close to 60" trailer deck width as possible but keep trailer track width as close as possible to my CRV which is 62" (48mm positive offset wheels) and minimal/non-exitant wheels wells in the camper itself. Was trying to match track width and match wheels but dont see that happening.

Wish I had a cad type program I now how to use.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

started laying out the steel to get a mental pictureImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:35 pm

After sorting out design exactly got almost all the steel cut, hopefully start welding after PT tomorrow once I cut the last couple pieces.

Been tossing around a lot of different ideas for everything.

Right now I know galley is going in front, side slide out. Battery and all that will be j. a box in front if that.

plans I'm working out are alternate power for charging (will be able to charge via TV). Solar will be part of that, also looking at. building a small wind generator (have some homework to do there).

also thinking of using our tent to create a tent expansion which is stored in the rear door and folded out from there which gives the kids their place to sleep separate from us.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:48 pm

trailer getting close to done FINALLY.Image

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:33 pm

and suspension is done and installed.Image

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm

been slacking a bit on the trailer work, should be rolling around by now but my wife thinks our sons 5th birthday is a 2 week long ordeal (thankfully not terribly costly but still. Weekend and today is plenty).

That side I did run into a deal on FB. Couple was selling stock wrangler steel wheels (all 5) with tires that have plenty of tread left just a little choppy from bad suspension. Nothing that wont wear even quickly. TIRES ARE BIG for my CRV. Barely fit but clear fully in the front and back was very minor rub up top on hard dips because rear springs are weak. Fixed the body trim to clear the wider tires which also showed I have some rust repair to do.

Need to deal with the jeep logos in the middle of the center caps yet, hoping my Honda ones can "replace" the center jeep logo if I cut it out. Then paint rims black.

Going to make the lift kit for this, just enough for tires to clear on deep travel and once these wear out going to drop down one size.

Tonight I'll get the tires for the trailer (something used and AT type tread) so hopefully tomorrow I can manage to mount them on wheels and get this rolling. Final bits of steel I should be getting later this week to finish the nose.

Oh and yes I made a removeable coupler!!! Cut off one if the 5 2" hitch mounts I have laying around, used a piece of 2.25 to create a sleeve and a piece of 2" with the coupler itself welded on. Then welded the sleeve to the 2" peices. Gave me a pre-drilled ready to go peice for the trailer tongue.

Hopefully once this is out of my garage and its cleaned up again I can start working on building the walls and such, make it something I can assemble come spring when we'll be able to PMF it.ImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:17 pm

WE HAVE A ROLLING TRAILER!!!! Might have to do some heat aligning to the axle though. Had to shorten it because chosen rims (OEM Honda CRV Steel wheels) wouldnt fit over the hubs. Meant shorter axle and 2" wheel spacers that bring the wheel spacing to 0 offset on the hubs.

Have some other work to do like front grate cut and welded on then just some other smaller stuff to finish up before painting.ImageImageImage

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Tigris99 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Well mother nature put the brakes on finishing up today. Still have to install fenders and lights.

Spare tire is under the trailer so it's out of the way and not sticking out putting more drag on my CRV when towing.

Was using rear flood lights on my CRV to finish welding the grate in the rear and such last night. Worked out great.

ImageImageImageImage
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals