6x12 Cargo trailer toy hauler conversion

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

6x12 Cargo trailer toy hauler conversion

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:08 pm

:applause: Trailer the day I Picked it up. Rear barn doors and a side entry door. I want to haul my Yamaha FJR 1300 with saddlebags attached. It appears I have to do some resizing on the pics.
Last edited by W8NONU on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Re: 6x12 Cargo trailer toy hauler conversion

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:10 pm

I see I have to resize the pics a little....... :oops:
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Photo posting training. Third try is a charm...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Ok, I started with your typical paneling lined interior trailer. Gutting and insulation has been shown enough times everyone knows that scenario! But I did gut the interior and insulate with foam board, wire for 120v and 12v before reinstalling the plywood. Then I built cabinets across the front of the trailer which includes a formica top kitchen area, shallow storage over the counter top for linens and such and a full height closet on the door side of the counter top area. This provides quite a bit of storage for food, supplies, pots/pans, etc for a couple days to a couple of weeks camping and riding the motorcycle. Pics to follow.
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 pm

There were quite a few items stored in the trailer that the previous owner left in it. :D Some were used in the build.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Front cabinet kitchen area. I used cabinet hinges on the upper shelf door and the plastic bars that hold items on the shelves. These hinges have a built in closer that is stiff enough to prevent items from pushing them open while traveling yet making it simple to open for access to what is stored up there. Under the counter I have a battery compartment behind the left cabinet door with a shelf above the batteries. Behind the right cabinet door are two drawers that hold canned food and other food items with a storage area below them for additional items. In the open area I have a 5 gallon beverage container that I use for storing fresh water. The container has a 1/4" diameter hose coming out of it instead of a spigot. I have a hand squeeze pump in this hose used as a foot pump to get water up to the counter area for washing my hands, dishes, etc. The foor pump keeps both hands free for washing. It also doesn't require power as I go to many areas of primitive camping. The two visible drawers are a utensil drawer and a drawer for keeping high use items readily available. The brown board bungied against the wall on the left is a fold down shelf that holds my two burner stove when cooking inside or for holding drying dishes when not cooking. It folds down to counter height which allows access to the cabinet under the counter. I also mounted a multi outlet strip above the counter for use when I am plugged into shore power. You can see the kitchen faucet sprayer attached to the wire basket mounted on the back wall. I have a plastic tub I put on the counter when needed to wash dishes or hands. The foot pump works great with this set up. The flourescent light above the fold down table has been replaced by an LED strip. The 12v lights are all LED to minimize power usage.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby DaddyJeep » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Welcome. It looks like you are getting a handle on the pics.
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Door side of the counter area storage cabinet. I used a plastic three drawer unit on the bottom of the cabinet and attached a wire shelf above it. I used an old cabinet door to cover the contents of the top half. I'm putting in two additional shelves above the wire shelf for storage of pots/pans, etc. All the cabinet doors have child locks to,prevent them from opening while traveling. The two lower doors have additional locks because there are some heavier items stored in them. I have a bungee cord that fastens from the wire shelf to the floor when traveling to prevent the drawers from opening. I had a fold down dining table where the black counter is now but it took up too much room when opened. I opted for more counter space which also folds down for travel. It is high enough to store my wooden folding tv tray ( the brown table showing under the counter) and cooler under it. This keeps them out of the way when not needed. The tv tray is the perfect height for my couch/bed and works great at meal time. I should say I travel alone so this set up works for me. When the counter is folded down for travel it only protrudes 2" from the wall.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.83 KiB) Viewed 3591 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

I Opted to just paint the plywood walls since I'm the only one that uses the trailer and that works for me. Easy to clean and no problem if I ding the wall with something. The ceiling will be replaced eventually. It is a few pices of old paneling that I had laying around and made firmfor now. With the exception of my solar system and just a few items the entire build has been done with material left over from jobs at my handyman business. I decided not to cut any holes in the trailer so it looks like a plain cargo trailer from the outside. My solution to having a/c, propane and more while still capable of hauling my motorcycle to come with pics soon.
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Side counter folded for travel and in upright position with supports. The top pic shows my 100 watt solar panel stored for travel. The panel has 30 foot long leads to allow placement in the sun while the trailer remains in the shade.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.35 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Looks great ... nice work! :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Nice... :D ...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 pm

I wanted my bed to double as a couch when not sleeping. I use the couch seating for eating inside when the weather is bad or the bugs are too much. My folding TV tray is the perfect height for the couch and I can use it inside or out also. The bed frame is hinged to fold up against the wall and back out for use. Very simple and easy. It protrudes out about 5" from the wall when folded for travel. I have a hinged part of the bed that is folded under itself when using as the couch and then unfolded to bring the bed out to a full 30" wide. I'm used to sleeping on a 21" thermarest sleeping pad when motorcycle camping so this works well for me. The top pic is the bed folded out to the couch dimensions, middle pic shows the frame folded out completely for the 30" bed and the bottom pic shows the bed folded against the wall for travel.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.68 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Bottom pic is the bed completely folded out for sleeping. The support section for the extra width of the bed is hinged and just folds out for the bed support or folds back out of the way when in the couch position. I still have to purchase a 30" wide piece of foam for a mattress. Top pic shows the couch dimension and the newly installed carpet. A friend had a big piece of new commercial carpet he gave me for the trailer. I had transistion pieces left from a job I had done so I put it all in. You can see the screen section of the back wall is in place. The back trailer door is open allowing some ventilation. You can also see the window air unit aitting on it's storage shelf inside the camper. The silver thing on the black floor is a "D" ring used to tie the bike down.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (34.22 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 pm

The middle and bottom pics give a better view of the screen in the back door. Top and middle pics show the window unit in travel mode and pushed out for use. The screen in the back is removable which allows a hinged section of the back door to close for using the the a/c. The hinged section of the door was put in to allow a wider opening for loading and unloading my motorcycle and stores on the hinged section of the door when not being used. The one back door remains closed regardless of using the screen or the solid section of the door. That door also has interior locks to prevent it from being opened from outside. You can see the red scissor jack that I use to keep the trailer steady when camping.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Build Journals