6x12 Cargo trailer toy hauler conversion

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: 6x12 Cargo trailer toy hauler conversion

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:20 pm

Interior shot of the a/c. The blue alongside the wall and under the a/c are pool noodles used to fill in the gap along the wall on the rounded corner of the trailer and sealing the space under the a/c to keep the bugs out. The screen is just leaning against the rear door but actually stores on the left side of the a/c. I also store my little 12 volt 10" O2Cool fan on the back wall. It draws less than an amp when in use is not a big draw on the batteries. I have a tie down strap around the a/c used to hold it in place during travel.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 pm

A pic of the screen door I built for the front door. Just in front of the fender you can see the 120 volt and 12 volt outlets I added. These are handy when I have the awning out and need power.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.28 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm

The wall with the hinged section closed for using the a/c. I use a piece of pipe insulation on the end of the wall where the trailer door closes against it to seal the gap.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.01 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:40 pm

DaddyJeep wrote:Welcome. It looks like you are getting a handle on the pics.

Thanks for the welcome. Took a minute to figure out what I needed to do to get pics to work... :)
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Looks great ... nice work! :applause:

Thanks. Since my wife doesn't camp or ride the motorcycle I didn't make it fancy, but got everything I need for my trips.
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm

pchast wrote:Nice... :D ...

Thanks...my portable man cave... :beer:
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am

Recently met my brother in Arkansas to give the little conversion a test run. I had my awning frame built and up which came in handy with the sun and rain. His Casita is only slightly longer than my trailer but has a few more ammenities... :ilovecamp: As expected found some things I want to tweak a little.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (139.72 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:37 am

Bottom is a better pic of my water system with the hand pump that I Use as a foot pump. To the left of the igloo bev tank is the box I built to house my inverter, solar charger, shore charger and shunt. Cut out a piece of plexi glass for the window so I can see inside the box and observe the LED lights to know what is going on. The top pic shows the shunt and solar charger mounted. Middle pic is my Tri-Metric digital display. It provides all the information I need to know what is going on with all of my solar system.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.91 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.05 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am

Bottom pic...I have a resource for free used car batteries so I used two of them to set up my solar system and learn how it works before moving to 6 volt golf cart batteries. Top pic gives a good view of the box my solar items are mounted in, the cabinet where my batteries are kept and the fold down table where I place my two burner stove. For travel the stove stores underneath the fold down table. The middle pic shows my shore power connection and the two wire SAE connector I use to plug in my solar panel to charge the batteries.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am

I had an old 120 volt porch light (bottom pic) that I converted to 12 volt LED. It mounts under the awning when I want just a little light in the evening. I will prbably change that to a permanently mounted amber LED light later. I just plug the light into the 12 volt outlet mounted by the fender. Top pic is the trailer set up in my back yard so I can work on it. Middle pic...I modified my 12 volt O2 Cool fan to sit in the roof vent for air circulation. Haven't decided yet if I will go with a Maxxfan or the Fantastic fan, but needed some air circulation til I get one or the other vent fans. I can put the fan up or take it down in seconds to open or close the roof vent and can place the fan to bring air in or out also.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.35 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 1981 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 am

Last camping trip cusine... Top pic heating some corned beef hash and making coffee! :applause: Middle pic I'm trying out the dutch oven with charcoal for the first time and Attempting biscuits. They came out great...almost forgot to get a pic of the biscuits before they were all gone. :pictures:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (149.1 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:20 am

And here's the reason I went the toy hauler route vs straight camper conversion! I wanted a base camp for the times I want to spend extra time riding around an area. There are plenty of Corp of Engineer campgrounds, Forest campgrounds and boondocking sites in a lot of the areas I like to ride. I'm not a fan of hotels/motels and this little trailer takes care of my needs. :thumbsup:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 1976 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:40 am

Top pic is the bike sitting inside the trailer ready to be tied down. I made a few changes to the bed and added the side counter and rear wall with a/c after this pic was taken. Middle is the wheel chock I built that holds the front wheel in place and holds the bike upright so I can load or unload and tie it down and un tie it by myself. Bottom is the pvc frame I made that sits inside the solar panel frame when in travel mode and allows me to get the proper angle for best solar collection.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.21 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.34 KiB) Viewed 1975 times
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:55 pm

I think your trailer is fantastic … practical … one of the best I have seen … extremely functional … so many neat features packed into such a small space … that Trimetric monitor and matching Trimetric solar charger is my favorite set up. :applause: :applause: :applause:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby W8NONU » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:30 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I think your trailer is fantastic … practical … one of the best I have seen … extremely functional … so many neat features packed into such a small space … that Trimetric monitor and matching Trimetric solar charger is my favorite set up. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you. I've camped for years and have had pop ups and pull behind campers so I remebered what worked for me and what didn't. This build is a little above basic and I've tried to incorporate things that are important to me but also ensure they are easy to use and function simply. I learned that anything that isn't simple or easy to use won't be used. I also decided to build this trailer at almost no cost using only materials I had left over from my handy man business. I got the trailer as a barter deal for repairs I made for someone. It has been fun to design and build. It is quite functional and takes little effort or time to set up from the time I drop the tongue. The solar set up is from a great deal of research. These units are not cheap, but work as they should and have a reputation for reliability. There is more to come... :)
W8NONU
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals